Active Topics

Notices

Project mmjre

Pretty vanilla right now. The 'official' Sun embedded JRE for ARM.

I simply wrapped up the jre archive in a .deb and added some simple install/remove scripts, some symlinks, and a convenience script called "jarexec" (which also refreshes the license every time you run it, so your JRE will never expire)

Usage:

jarexec <jarfile>

Install available here

It takes a little longer to install than most regular apps, so don't fret, be patient...it works just fine

There's also some mime registration stuff in there that doesn't seem to work yet...it doesn't hurt anything else though The idea was that you could just click on a jarfile in your file browser (or create a desktop shortcut to it) and it would automatically launch jarexec for you. I'm sure it's something simple I've overlooked...maybe somebody can cast some fresh eyes over it and tell me my mistake

EDIT1 : Temporary hiatus...removed install for a while...something odd going on with download
EDIT2 : Back again! Needed to ensure that the /var/tmp copy of the .deb was erased (30+ Mb is a significant chunk of the root fs)
EDIT3 : OK, the jarexec mechanism is now working. You can now select a jarfile in FileManager, choose "Jarfile" from the list of options, and away you go!

Last edited by Dak; 2010-05-22 at 22:32.

The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to Dak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
i'm still confused with jre vs jme java. is this the one that mobile games are based on?

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
So can we run java apps and games now?

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Jre is for java apps run on a desktop.. j2me is mobile.. however i dont know if this supports both

What you are talking about is SE versus ME (Standard Edition vs Mobile Edition)

JRE = Java Runtime Environment...both SE and ME are JREs

This is the Java SE installation for ARM (N900), and should enable a lot of desktop Java software to run - not all. Try it and see

I don't know about ME. If anything, ME apps should run on SE, but not vice versa...but don't quote me on that

EDIT : Kojacker corrected me below....ME doesn't run on SE without an emulator, apparently...

Last edited by Dak; 2010-05-21 at 16:19.

Good work Dak! I'd love to see more Java projects come to the n900. You don't realise how many things rely on it until it's gone

The SE vs ME is pretty confusing, if I remember right the J2ME apps won't natively run in SE which is why we need emulators etc. Now.. maybe an emulator could be tried in mmjre and that used to try and run the midlet app

BTW once you've fixed the issue with the download, have you thought about entering it into our friendly n900 coding competition? http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53112. It only takes a moment to enter, and at the least you might get a bit more exposure for your hard work.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
I want to try azureus vuze

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
In extras testing there's a jre named icedtea6 and microemulator to run mobile java apps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Wonko packaged icedtea and put it in extras-devel. Could your package be set up so that it is an alternative so java applications can be put into the repos and use whichever JRE was installed?

Haha, it might be possible to run Runescape on minimum specs..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...