Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
( 4/66) upgrading systemd ==> The /bin/systemd symlink has been removed. Any references in your
bootloader (or elsewhere) must be updated to /usr/lib/systemd/systemd.

just a heads up

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
This post has focus on graphical environments. It tries to collect a few configuration tips and open questions.

enlightenment

It fits nicely in the environment; see the screenshot. Out-of-the box, though, the keyboard does not work apart from letters.

Using a terminal, I had to re-apply the keyboard configuration once inside e17:
Somehow enlightenment is always crashing here.

I'm using sgx-fbdev for X from the n900 repo....

Only if N900 is powerful enough to compile gentoo on its own.....

Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Originally Posted by sAhAck View Post
Maybe durable? How many years would it take?

Last edited by int_ua; 2013-05-18 at 11:47.

Somehow enlightenment is always crashing here.

I'm using sgx-fbdev for X from the n900 repo....
Few posts above there was a talk that it's currently broken, not only for us but raspi too.
fbdev-sgx is what it is: an experiment, that is not fully functional.

Setup distccd with cross compiler, that's all it takes. I doubt that Gentoo fixes anything though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
Few posts above there was a talk that it's currently broken, not only for us but raspi too.
fbdev-sgx is what it is: an experiment, that is not fully functional.

Setup distccd with cross compiler, that's all it takes. I doubt that Gentoo fixes anything though.
OK..... Will try e17 some other day.

In fact I think the IO is another major trouble, and the eMMC wearing out. Use a SD and it will be slow, the eMMC and it will wear out.

I have a little question on the system: how did we handle the watchdogs? They seem to be working out of box.

In fact I think the IO is another major trouble, and the eMMC wearing out. Use a SD and it will be slow, the eMMC and it will wear out.
Well, that's true. If only the usb host mode would be functional.. Anyhow, I have one brandless crap uSD reserved for compiling stuff, it's not as slow as one might think and I can't seem to be able to wear it out. I've left N900 out of build hosts so the compiling is happening on distcc hosts completely. Not a perfect solution but gets the job done.

I have a little question on the system: how did we handle the watchdogs? They seem to be working out of box.
Watchdogs should be handled by systemd when present.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
OK..... Will try e17 some other day.
I actually would like to have a custom build of E17 and test it's GLESv2 support with latest TI drivers.

I have a few plans with everything that has been done so far, and how to proceed.. I'll be writing about that later to see what people think.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
This post has focus on graphical environments. It tries to collect a few configuration tips and open questions.
Thank you for this information. I'm wondering if you gave fluxbox a try. Fluxbox happens to be my favorite window manager. It is also extremely functional, configurable, and lightweight.

I still run fluxbox on pdaXrom in my Zaurus SL-C1000 (an old ARM pda which could be considered a forefather of the N900). It's fluxbox version 1.0, and I compiled it myself. Amazing how fast it runs. I also configured key shortcuts so that I can control everything (including window sizing, moving, closing, etc) from the keyboard. Also, unlimited desktops (if I remember correctly).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
I'm wondering if you gave fluxbox a try
Not yet. I have basically two use cases I care. The first is the terminal: in this case the plain console had been a good companion.

The second is basic reading without the keyboard. Picture the n900 slider closed. In this case I would like to scroll, click links and have basic navigation between windows. I still don't think I have a nice solution here.

I enjoyed awesome, and I have been using it on the desktop, but is not functional without the keyboard.

I tried e17; currently it fits best my needs. Or it used to, before the last two upgrades

Now I am experimenting with window maker. Too soon to have an opinion, but it may have a conceptual best fit with a touch screen.

In conclusion, I am still looking for a solution. Skry's experiments with hildon desktop and e17 may provide a few more options the table, so we may eventually focus on one fair solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
Malfunctioning: i remember the zaurus, really wanted one for a long time but the better ones were only available in japan, not uk iirc. i would consider it a forefather of the eee really.

I would say any of the *boxes (flux, black,open...) would provide good performance. just need a decent theme. on a device like this is window sizing really essential, or could everything just run maximised?

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post: