Active Topics

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
you probably wanted to say "...and they showed a vast improvement in usability in regards to closing."
nokia wouldn't change things if users had only minor problems with the new way, would they?
Of course they would, that's what they hired UI designers to do.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post

and this:

gizmo, those screenshots look cool! (*much better than the originals now the colors are "right)

I played with clutter over christmas and it obviously runs better directly on the laptop itself without worrying about emulation and scratchbox etc

what i want to know though is it possible to take an application designed for clutter on normal x86 and recompile it for maemo/fremantle, or would I need lots of special fremantle specific porting afterwards? (much like the x11 hildonizing)

I'm eager to make a start and the teasing of these screenshots is making me want to try more.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
But two of the old closed source packages are missing: gpsbt and tablet-browser-interface. Are there already documents explaining what do use as a replacement?
tablet-browser-interface will be in the beta. The alpha doesn't include any browser related packages.

gpsbt is dropped, http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Maemo_roa...tion_framework updated.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Pictures of a HildonFileChooser from the Alpha. Doesn't look pretty much different from yerga's video.

Creating a folder:

Opening a file:

Saving a file:

Choosing the location:

I'm sure you all know this but I'll possibly repeat this for consistency, although the dark theme doesn't do well to show it, there isn't a need (functionality wise) for a cancel button because the X in the top right corner acts as one for whatever dialog you have open.

Oh yeah, as demonstrated in Yerga's video, teh chooser haz kineticz

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Is it a bug that the new OK button size and placement breaks the GTK file chooser dialog? Should I report it?

^ - doesn't look terribly broken to me (and it's not one of the smaller gtk dialogs ). I can still cancel with the X. Only problem I have there, at least in scratchbox, I can't resize the bookmarks. Apart from that, usable - just not ideal. (Although Maemo programs should be using the HildonFileChooserDialog anyway )

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-03-06 at 07:29.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
what i want to know though is it possible to take an application designed for clutter on normal x86 and recompile it for maemo/fremantle
This (color corrected) screenshot is from the gtk-clutter-test application that is included with clutter-gtk. In order to run this i had to:
  • port and package clutter-gtk (since it's not part of fremantle which is rather odd since these are the gtk bindings for clutter)
  • hildonize the gtk part of the test app
  • no changes in the clutter part were required

The entire process took less than half an hour. But there are artifacts around the bitmaps and the frame rate is very low. So, yes, you can run clutter via scratchbox, but it's not very useful yet (at least on my machine, but perhaps i am just suffering from the performance problems you also experience).

Last edited by Master of Gizmo; 2009-03-06 at 07:43.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
i guess it just doesn't matter, though, as long as there's a hardware keyboard. i own an N800, so i couldn't live without the stylus variant, but i hope N810-owners will confirm that hardware keys are even better.
I have an N810 and use the hardware keyboard most of the time. However, I do revert to the stylus keyboard when doing lots of number data entry (e.g. in gnumeric), as it is annoying entering numbers with the hardware keyboard, due to having to use Fn. An additional row on the hardware keyboard would be very welcome.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
as i do not own a n810 i have to ask, can you not double press fn to lock the key function?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by tso View Post
as i do not own a n810 i have to ask, can you not double press fn to lock the key function?
Yes, you can. But if you have to enter a mix of number and letters, this isn't good either.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Yes you can.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
As others have said, yes you can, but in Gnumeric (which was my example) you have to do this separately for each cell. So for that specific use case, the stylus keyboard is easier.

Tags
fremantle