Active Topics

Notices

Thanks to the help from community developers, I finally pushed the package into extra-devel! You can download it from there afterwards.

The latest version is 0.0.7, which fixed the setting focus bug.

A bump in version number (0.0.8) to include the icon that I created.

I will work on refining the error dialog, some fine tuning of the codes, and play around with animation in the next release. Any suggestion on what extra feature you'd like to see? Otherwise, longer-term I will try integrating WebKit view so user could read the news within the client. I would also love to use the app to learn Qt (maybe re-implement some of the logics in Qt).

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
A really great update... Thanks Sony123, it's looking brilliant. It's one of my most used applications on a day to day basis. I like the horizontal view now. You have made the most of the dead space. Looks really good.

You might have a reason for this next "possible bug". The CostEst and Value shows a "k" value.

Take LON:BLNX as an example, in Google Finance it looks like this:

where as in Stockona it looks likes this.

The "k" makes it look like a thousand (I know it's a thousand pence or cents), but it would be better if it said CostEst = 640 and Value = 588.

Is there a reason why you have left out 1d, 5d, 1m graph range? The graph doesn't always work for me. It says "Chart not available".

How do you go full screen mode?
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

The Following User Says Thank You to MyNokiaN900 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MyNokiaN900 View Post
A really great update... Thanks Sony123, it's looking brilliant. It's one of my most used applications on a day to day basis. I like the horizontal view now. You have made the most of the dead space. Looks really good.

You might have a reason for this next "possible bug". The CostEst and Value shows a "k" value.

Take LON:BLNX as an example, in Google Finance it looks like this:

The "k" makes it look like a thousand (I know it's a thousand pence or cents), but it would be better if it said CostEst = 640 and Value = 588.

Is there a reason why you have left out 1d, 5d, 1m graph range? The graph doesn't always work for me. It says "Chart not available".

How do you go full screen mode?
1) This should be fixed in the next release, 0.0.9. The app will be using the data directly from google atom feed so the cost and value are now directly displayed without internal formatting.
2) The 1d/5d/1m did not work for me. Yahoo always returned page not found. I noticed the chart data are not available for some indexes. So in short, it's a limitation from Yahoo.
3) Ah... it is by default in full screen. Well I understand you take full-screen as in microb. Well... I thought about hiding the title bar when not in used and making it available by swiping down or touching the top edge of the screen. Maybe I will re-visit it later.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback. Next release will mainly be bug fixes, javascript core and error handling improvement.

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
An update (0.0.10) is pushed to extra-devel.... it was mainly error handling improvement, bug fixes and javascript/qml logic change to make the starting sequence (hopefully) better. There was another build, 0.0.9, that wasn't working well. Sorry I didn't test it thoroughly enough.

Please give 0.0.10 a try, thanks!

Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
An update (0.0.10) is pushed to extra-devel.... it was mainly error handling improvement, bug fixes and javascript/qml logic change to make the starting sequence (hopefully) better. There was another build, 0.0.9, that wasn't working well. Sorry I didn't test it thoroughly enough.

Please give 0.0.10 a try, thanks!
Looks good Sony123. Cost and Values look correct now!

You mentioned this is an app for Yahoo or Google Finance.
Question: Do you allow either or to be logged in?

On the login screen would it be possible to have a "sign in" button because I noticed when I tried logging in as another account, there was no sure way of knowing if it had accepted the the new username and password?

Question: When dothe Ask and Bid values appear or do I have to be logged in as Yahoo account?
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

The Following User Says Thank You to MyNokiaN900 For This Useful Post:
1) For the Yahoo Finance part.... well, you got me. The app is not really a yahoo finance client, it just uses information from Yahoo. But for the limited time I tried, I couldn't find an explicit way to retrieve portfolio data from Yahoo. I am not sure if it can be done..., but I do find YQL might be the way to go. I will change the title to make it clear : p
2) That's a good idea. The app currently automatically re-sign in if the username or pwd changed. That indeed can be confusing. I will add signin and signout buttons.
3) No, those info should be displayed by default, but unfortunately for (some) mutual funds and indexes, Yahoo returns nothing for the ask/bid price. In short, if you still see '-' after a couple of refreshes, it means the data are not available from Yahoo.

Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
1) For the Yahoo Finance part.... well, you got me. The app is not really a yahoo finance client, it just uses information from Yahoo.
Is it possible to follow
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^YHOh714
with your application?

Thanks in advance.

Somewhere on your Stockona you should have a Paypal Donate button

I stupidly tried to login as my Yahoo Finance account and it didn't work, so then I tried logging back into Google, but it was not allowing me. I typed in my username and password and pressed enter only to see "API returned 403 Forbidden" error, but after I pressed the back button it flashed (as in the screen flickered) and then loaded my portfolio... :-) I guess without knowing or without pressing a LOGIN button it's hit and miss.

Originally Posted by MyNokiaN900 View Post
Somewhere on your Stockona you should have a Paypal Donate button

I stupidly tried to login as my Yahoo Finance account and it didn't work, so then I tried logging back into Google, but it was not allowing me. I typed in my username and password and pressed enter only to see "API returned 403 Forbidden" error, but after I pressed the back button it flashed (as in the screen flickered) and then loaded my portfolio... :-) I guess without knowing or without pressing a LOGIN button it's hit and miss.
Donation is welcomed but not at the top of my mind I will set it up sometime.

Sorry for tricking you into thinking the app can pull yahoo portfolio ! But what you saw was interesting... if the app only does login after you press the back button in setting menu..... so the 403 Forbidden message could be coming from the earlier http request using yahoo account info. I have yet to think of a better way to handle this, since the http request thread is asynchronous by nature in QML. Just remember you can always suppress the error message by clicking it