Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Skewing sales to include Symbian is truly misleading when it's really a comparison of Maemo versus iPhone in my opinion. Or at least one I'd love to see broken down to that level at least once.
you could argue that neither the iphone nor the n900 are true smartphones.... but then you'd better compare iphone sales to s40 sales

maemo, i guess, doesn't exist on that scale.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The whole argument about either the iPhone or N900 being smartphone or not doesn't really interest me. I'll just be happy to use a phone that does more of what I want than not.

With that said; I'd love to see what the Maemo vs. iPhone sales are...

I know, I know. I'm a broken record about the sales. But damn, it does help figure out what I will and will not think will get support in the end.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mymo900 View Post
you cant fool ppl on hype these days.
Yes, the bar has been raised, now a Reality Distortion Field is required for that.

With that said; I'd love to see what the Maemo vs. iPhone sales are...
The real question is, how many of the people will buy another of these things, once they've already had one. No matter how good the quarterly earnings, the owners are quick to pocket those and never look back.

I know, I know. I'm a broken record about the sales. But damn, it does help figure out what I will and will not think will get support in the end.
I am glad not everyone thinks like you. My nightmare would be to wake up in a world where the only option in the shop is the turtle-neck polo, because it was the best seller last season.

Late edit, too lazy to make a new post:
It's funny how nowadays all potentially interesting threads around here are, after some 10 posts, hijacked for the purpose of comparing Maemo / MeeGo to what some think as their arch rivals, and usually end up ranting on how far behind Nokia is compared to Everyone Else.

Last edited by juise-; 2010-06-09 at 12:05. Reason: Now with added ranting

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juise- For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
you could argue that neither the iphone nor the n900 are true smartphones.... but then you'd better compare iphone sales to s40 sales

maemo, i guess, doesn't exist on that scale.
but nokia provide most of categories compare iphone only focusing high-end.

imaging the day iphone going for mid-range devices, could you tell me how much nokia market still able stand strong? seriously this is not just dollar and sen issues its also how much effort given to consumer by company. maemo 5 consumer getting unhappy to nokia, what does nokia effort? WONTFIX is nokia effort, yet what does meego doing in maemo? the domain name is maemo.org... perhaps try does survey, or read all comment from consumer.

n900 PR1.2 - is good new firmware? compare to android 2.1 to 2.2... PR1.2 vs android 2.2

nokia(10%) vs google(100%)

...With that said; I'd love to see what the Maemo vs. iPhone sales are...
Sorry, but I can't find any reference in Nokia's financials to N900 or Maemo. Sorry that is wrong, I have seen a reference to Maemo, but it only says it is being merged with moblin, becoming Meego and being released at the end of the year.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I am glad not everyone thinks like you. My nightmare would be to wake up in a world where the only option in the shop is the turtle-neck polo, because it was the best seller last season.
The thing is that competitor should not be nearly as expensive as the top model "the iphone". One has achieved its right to command such a price the other has not.

In fact they expect you, the consumer, to form a group and work out any (of the many) problems yourself.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-09 at 13:13.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
The thing is that competitor should not be nearly as expensive as the top model "the iphone". One has achieved its right to command such a price the other has not.
Where I live, vendors are free to price their goods as they wish. Also consumers are free to make choices whether to purchase goods from one vendor or other.

Apparently, in London, your approval for pricing is required.

Edit: I will purposefully ignore the fact that even though you decided to quote my post, you were actually discussing about something else.

Last edited by juise-; 2010-06-09 at 13:22.

Originally Posted by Freemantle View Post
Sorry, but I can't find any reference in Nokia's financials to N900 or Maemo. Sorry that is wrong, I have seen a reference to Maemo, but it only says it is being merged with moblin, becoming Meego and being released at the end of the year.
Until MeeGo is a sold item by Nokia, I suspect you will have a very hard time finding any sales numbers for anything pertaining MeeGo.

Fortunately, there is a Maemo product being sold. And those sales numbers are the one I'm clearly interested in. I mean... this is talk.maemo.org, I'm asking for Maemo sales, and can't find it anywhere since Nokia have never released those numbers.

But thanks for the information pertaining the Intel Moblin and Nokia Maemo merge. I find that absolutely shocking...

</sarcasm>

Seriously. It seems like asking for the sales numbers is such a bad thing around here. I wonder why.

</rhetorical>

Until MeeGo is a sold item by Nokia, I suspect you will have a very hard time finding any sales numbers for anything pertaining MeeGo.

Fortunately, there is a Maemo product being sold. And those sales numbers are the one I'm clearly interested in. I mean... this is talk.maemo.org, I'm asking for Maemo sales, and can't find it anywhere since Nokia have never released those numbers.

But thanks for the information pertaining the Intel Moblin and Nokia Maemo merge. I find that absolutely shocking...

</sarcasm>

Seriously. It seems like asking for the sales numbers is such a bad thing around here. I wonder why.

</rhetorical>
I know what you mean, but unfortunately, Nokia hasn't included the maemo sales figures in their financial statements. There is a company highlights section that does mention some specific phones, and meego, but not the N900. I guess Nokia have decided not to look back, but look forward to their next big thing.

Originally Posted by Freemantle View Post
I know what you mean, but unfortunately, Nokia hasn't included the maemo sales figures in their financial statements. There is a company highlights section that does mention some specific phones, and meego, but not the N900. I guess Nokia have decided not to look back, but look forward to their next big thing.
You will not find Maemo sales at all. They will not release those numbers even on the N8x0 series. But they will - Qgil has done this a few times already - highlight their download counts. That's like Apple saying "Look, we've had 1.5 billion downloads"... but Nokia's number is barely hitting 11 million.

People were quick to hold onto Nokia's vaguely cited number of 100,000 in the first 5 weeks without any proof (read: Nokia just "said" a number, didn't qualify it at all) and people just accepted it. I don't, I won't.

Nokia has cited their N97 sales, their N95, but not one single Maemo device. Yet another place where they've not given support back to the community that supports them, imho.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanboy denial