Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by aleksandyr View Post
The subversion client would be a very easy port, I just can't think of any major uses for it
For updates with suites like metasploit framework, tree, etc...

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by convulted View Post
*don't clobber me* What is SVN? (Subversion?)

... and I only have time for small projects
Yes subversion

Hey all,

After I ported cron (and crontab), I wrote a small program, which works well with cron, that automatically connects to a WIFI access point and executes any given command (see the "cron anyone?" thread in the General forums). In any case, does anyone have any further suggestions for programs to add to this list of programs, ultimately to be combined into a sort of "suite" of programs (re: the title of this post)?

Please be gentle, I am a very slow programmer

And now on to registration attempt #2 at the garage (they did not accept cron!)...
Does this mean it connects to any open access point? I think many people are looking for this type of utility if it is.

A UI for cron might prove useful too. Is there some application I can port/copy that does this?

There's a task scheduler frontend for cron in KDE (yeah, I know, QT!) called kcron. I assume something similar might exist for Gnome.

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
Im running this:-

/usr/bin/updatedb
Code:
find / -print > /media/mmc1/ldb
and /usr/bin/locate
Code:
grep $1 /medis/mmc1/ldb|more
works well for me.

Rick

Originally Posted by rhouge View Post
Does this mean it connects to any open access point? I think many people are looking for this type of utility if it is.
As in stands, it pops up the "connect to" window if a known AP is not found. I'll try to bypass this if at all possible.

As in stands, it pops up the "connect to" window if a known AP is not found. I'll try to bypass this if at all possible.
Well, we are halfway there then. Would that auto-connect to any open AP if a known AP is not found? As I stated before, there are LOTS of possibilities if this can be achieved, such as walking about town and surf the internet while hopping from AP to AP or driving in a populated city and being able to *not so seamlessly* listen to internet radio. That makes me smile

What I want to do is to scan the list of available AP's and:
1. see if any of them are known
2. see if any of them are open

Priority list would (could?) run as follows:
1. known, better signal strength
2. open and unknown, better signal strength
3. known, weaker signal
4. open and unknown, weaker signal
5. ask user (optional) -- or, drop connection

So basically, the requirements are:

a. A method to scan AP's in range and get their statistics using osso_get_statistics(...). I need to figure out how to scan AP's in the spirit of the built-in connection manager. Any clues?
b. A method to transparently connect to any (known or open) AP within range -- this is available and should require only a minor modification to my current code, in the call to osso_iap_connect(...) [PS: I'll put the source up at http://www.anomaly-music.com/crun/crun.c when I get home in a few hours].

Any contributions to this idea are welcome, especially from more experienced programmers than me

*edit*

Looks to me like I will have to fork the source: I will continue debugging and testing crun, which will be used to automate downloads, etc.; and I will start working on this new idea, by reusing half the crun source, obviously