Posts: 44 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The specs and the UI looks GREAT! I'm really surprised with this device.

It's puzzling that RIM is seemingly trying to infiltrate a young demographic as the material and even the device looks as though it is trying to rival the iPad. I would have thought they would have positioned their device for more for the business. Perhaps they are....
Just based on what I see on public transport here in London, there are a huge number of young people (as in teenagers) who have Blackberries, in fact I reckon I see as many if not more than iphone. I don't think it is a business user-only device at all and I'm sure RIM know this.

Will be interesting to see how it does in the tablet wars.

Me. I'll stick to a MID and a half decent sized laptop screen. Enough for an old man like me who made his debut on a vic 20!!

The Following User Says Thank You to digital909 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
It looks pretty impressive, but the name sucks. "PlayBook"? What is this, kindergarten?
I think our US cousins use the term PlayBook to refer to strategies in team sports rather than a childs colouring book

The Following User Says Thank You to catretriever For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@afaq: have you played with the Torch (9800)?
I think the UI is quite nice and responsive.

I don't know how different the Playbook will be (qnx and all), but there's a clear sense of improvement and progression comparing past bb models with the Torch. (albeit all its drawbacks)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I guess that this is the reason why RIM bought DataViz Documents To Go?

I couldn't see the point before.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by digital909 View Post
Just based on what I see on public transport here in London, there are a huge number of young people (as in teenagers) who have Blackberries, in fact I reckon I see as many if not more than iphone. I don't think it is a business user-only device at all and I'm sure RIM know this.

Will be interesting to see how it does in the tablet wars.

Me. I'll stick to a MID and a half decent sized laptop screen. Enough for an old man like me who made his debut on a vic 20!!
Yep, especially as RIM seems to be planning to turn BBM into something like steam. That is, they are supposedly making APIs available that can allow games to exchange data over the BBM system.

seems like BBM is the phone equivalent of msn/live messenger or AIM was some years ago (and now it seems facebook "chat" have taken over for).

It looks nice... for now.
I have just seen this too many times with SE and Nokia phones already where the release date is ~ 4 months later and at first the super device doesn't look that super anymore.
There will be Android tablets running A9 core and using 2.5/3.0 at that time and i would think same goes for MeeGo(we where supposed to see MeeGo tablets running on Moorestown according to Intel in Q1).
The tablet craze is at it's strongest probably in 2h next year.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Umm I used a BB ... and after using various WiMo, Symbian and iOS devices I didn't like it. It just fits the corporate stereotype too much, and my fun and fat thumbs have nowhere to play on their cramped dull devices.

With this device, it seems like Blackberry is the "new guy" who's trying WAY too hard to fit in.
PlayBook?!?! BB was never playful and this device aint even a book! BB should do what it does best: remain dull (and my guts telling me it to die a slow death).

But my heart is saying a similar (or better speced) slate to be released by another company (Nokia, Samsung, Google, HTC, Dell etc) but run MeeGo.

It only has been a few days with my Galaxy S, and I've already noticed many UI elements that are awkeward and inconsistent ... but its still hands-down tidier than the HTC Desire. I hope MeeGo can see all these blemishes in Android and all the weaknesses in iOS4 and do what both platforms can't do ... mix serious function with serious simplicity/UX!

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-09-29 at 08:31.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Yep, especially as RIM seems to be planning to turn BBM into something like steam. That is, they are supposedly making APIs available that can allow games to exchange data over the BBM system.
I hope something like this will happen, even if to wake Maemo/MeeGo developers up to the potential Telepathy Tubes already provides for the platform we have.

For lots of collaboration situations direct P2P over XMPP (or whatever) would make more sense security, privacy and reliability -wise than connecting to a web service.

In my consulting role I have already been asked if I would recommend this device to a start-up I am working with. Of course without a price or examples of real use I can't say anything yet...but since I have had experience with QNX and even played with it myself a little I am very interested to at least check it out.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Out of curiosity: why the sudden love for QNX? Is it because it rhymes with UNIX? As I understand it, it is closed source, like iOS, and is basically the same as iOS and linux: a unix like os. Is it the micro-kernel appeal? Am I reading the general response incorrectly?

... so confused!

But this is not about QNX hate (nor iOS for that matter). I remember it's inception and reading about some of the cool features that it implemented. I think it's grand. I just expected it would be more hated around these parts.