Active Topics

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
It's Sunday and I'm not quite done. I've gotten it so that you can select "Add Exercise", but haven't quite programmed the logic to add an exercise to routine exercises. Once I get off work (00:00 CST) I'll finish this up and push a release.

Actually, I have adding exercises pretty much working, but it seems like developing the routine window has introduced some bugs that break the following some how:
  • auto rotation broken
  • once entering 'routines' the program doesn't exit correctly
  • every once and a while program freezes on 'add exercises' from routines
I won't be releasing anything until these are figured out. The most up-to-date (and buggy) code can, however, be downloaded from git (see first post). Sorry guys.

[edit]
I've fixed everything except for autorotation which should be easy enough to correct that I'm not delaying this release further.

Last edited by aspidites; 2010-06-25 at 17:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
Alright, so I finally found time to work on this again and have finished version 0.4.0. I'm uploading the package to extras-devel, but I've changed a few things in my packaging script, so there is the possibility of i failing. Otherwise, it should be there within the hour.

The reason for changing the packaging script is to allow changelog information to show up in App manager instead of only on the project page.

As to prevent a bunch of false reports, here are some non-issues that I'm aware of that will show up in the bug fix releases (assuming you aren't paying attention to the OP):
  • it isn't possible to edit or delete a routine exercise - available in v.0.4.2 (editing doesn't make sense so not programmed)
  • it isn't possible to start a routine - slated for 0.5.0 release
  • it isn't possible to see exercise detail - in progress
  • auto rotation doesn't work properly for routines - available in v.0.4.1

So why release at all? Release early, release often. Besides, its not like these issues are marked as 'WONTFIX' *cough, cough*

[edit]
I thought I should mention that it's already been possible to select a video as the example for an exercise and to play that video, with the option of going fullscreen. I just have yet to put that portion of the gui anywhere "officially". If you check the git logs, you might see hints of it ;-). It will be part of the details view for a specific exercise, though.

Last edited by aspidites; 2010-06-25 at 20:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Been using this for a few days now, great tool! Keep it up!

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
looks good, though i'm caught between this and qexercise, ever considered merging with the other app?

2x the dev
1/2 the work
2x userbase
and means a better product for us consumers?

either way, impressive work!!

Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
looks good, though i'm caught between this and qexercise, ever considered merging with the other app?

2x the dev
1/2 the work
2x userbase
and means a better product for us consumers?

either way, impressive work!!
Not quite, for the following reasons:

• qexercise was written in C++, MaeGym in Python
  • Design goals are quite different.
    • Navigating the interfaces is quite different
    • qexercise uses multiple XML files whereas MaeGym uses 1 ini formatted config file and 1 sqlite database
  • Not quite sure how to say this without being offensive, but it seems as though the developer of qexercise is focused on features, whereas I am focused on stability. That is, qexercise is more functional, but is riddled with numerous bugs.
Plus, these are both open source products (not sure of qexercise's license, though), so it's not like any money is lost choosing one over the other. In fact, you can evaluate both at the same time :-)

Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
Not quite, for the following reasons:

• qexercise was written in C++, MaeGym in Python
  • Design goals are quite different.
    • Navigating the interfaces is quite different
    • qexercise uses multiple XML files whereas MaeGym uses 1 ini formatted config file and 1 sqlite database
  • Not quite sure how to say this without being offensive, but it seems as though the developer of qexercise is focused on features, whereas I am focused on stability. That is, qexercise is more functional, but is riddled with numerous bugs.
Plus, these are both open source products (not sure of qexercise's license, though), so it's not like any money is lost choosing one over the other. In fact, you can evaluate both at the same time :-)
Yeah they are quite different. I do not take it offensive but first of I do not own a N900 more so right now I can only see if it compiles wich makes it a lot harder to find the bugs. But really it is in devel and I do not see any need for stability in this phase, stability is comes in when I devote it to testing(wich is sometime in this month) and second if I test things a lot myself it will take time. If I let the community test the program I could take that time I save to create new features, wich in the end will favour the users that use the program, once the program is for the end-users wich extras-devel is not

But I think it is great that qexercise is not the only gym program as I think that competition is very sound for everyone!

I have no idea of what this licenses means but if someone wants to look at the code just tell me and I can mail it over. The reason why I have not these "git stuff" is that I never used it and do not want to spend time learning it as I guess no one wants to look at the code anyway. What license is that?

PS. qexercise is my first c++ too

Last edited by Lullen; 2010-07-06 at 20:33.

Well, I've been extremely busy with work, school, and my girlfriend, but I managed to push out yet another bug fix release. I am off on Monday, which means I should be able to push out another release or too. Maybe even finally start working on v.0.5.x series.

BTW, I was in the gym and was thinking that I should expand the database schema. I was thinking that routines should be renamed to sessions, and it should be possible to add sessions to a routine. The logic behind that is that I feel a session is something that happens during one day at a gym, where as a routine is composed of multiple sessions, most of the time occupying a few weeks.

This change will break old workouts, so I apologize about that ahead of time. While I don't plan to do so myself, it shoudl theoretically be possible to create a short script that converts the old schema to the new one, since it is just a sqlite database.

I was also thinking that there should be a profile table so that multiple people can use the same app (I was working out with a buddy when I thought of this).

The only other thing I was thinking was trimming the application down so that it focuses on Fitness only instead of worrying about nutrition. The reason for this is that as a hobbiest programmer I don't have much time to work on the fitness aspect of this program let alone nutrition as well. Further more, if memory serves me correctly, I seem to remember seeing an application dedicated to dieting, which, if I dropped nutrition, would be more in keeping with the unix philosophy of doing one thing and doing it well.

Another bug release. Loading of video still kind of slow so I'll either be adding a visual indicator so the user doesn't think the program is broken as well as investigating other ways of playing media that don't require me to use python-gstreamer directly. Also, exiting fullscreen goes to the task switcher, so it would be nice to find a way to give MaeGym focus back. These fixes will come after v.0.5.0, as not to hold up development on that version any longer.

For those using videos as example media, note that flv videos and gif animations don't work. To play the video, simply tap on it, which will also make it go fullscreen. I've added screenshots, but keep in mind that the first is inaccurate because a preview of the media IS available.
Attached Images

This looks like it will be amazing when complete. I hope you keep up development! I only have an N810 - will it be possible to run on there? I've literally just bought it and am completely new to all this so don't really know what the differences are between the OSes on each platform, etc.

Cheers

Jack

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
Last release was 2 months ago. Another dead project, I guess :|