Notices

been keeping an eye on this app for a while. lots of potential, for sure.

speed was an issue for me... just updated to the 4.21 version and it's a dramatic improvement. any more optimizations would be even better.

for my general use, i'm pretty happy with it, and it will replace the standard player on the n900 for me. two issues for me that would close the deal:

1. when searching by artist (library --> artist), and there's multiple albums available, it doesn't list the albums, just dumps a list of all the tracks by that artist. the way i'd much prefer, and what seems to be the norm for other players, is to list albums below artist when available (ie. library --> artist --> albums --> tracks)

2. gapless playback

hopefully there's a way for the above to be made available. top notch stuff so far and i really appreciate the efforts, the update schedule and your involvement here in the community.

thanks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superchode For This Useful Post:
For those people who are looking for Landscape Mode, you can have it
open the Application
and Press:
Shift+Ctrl+R
it will rotate to Lanscape
to rotate back
press the Shift+ctrl+R again
its a good qiuck solution if you were looking for LANDSCAPE BADLY !
but for me i think portrait mode is the best

The Following User Says Thank You to bobcorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Is it possible to implement the search feature that is in the default player, i.e. just start typing a song/artist/album and it filters the files?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
How can I update the library? When I add 1 or 2 songs it always recognize them but today I added over a hundred songs but none of them are showing up :/

On a gapless playback note, having been without my n900 for a few weeks while it's away for repairs, I revisited my old Sansa e280 which still does not natively support gapless playback either. However, it turns out Rockbox is now supported for it, so I loaded it up and gapless worked like a charm.

Rockbox is an open source firmware, so I thought it might serve as an example of how gapless playback could be implemented if needed (I'm sure the specific implementation details would vary for the N900, but perhaps it could serve as a high-level example?).

http://www.rockbox.org/

EDIT: and they also do the "browse by file/folder" feature which many people have requested.

Last edited by Drekkie; 2010-09-20 at 16:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Hello Peter! Not having heard anything interesting from you in quite some time I began to wonder: When can we expect a new update? It's been over 2 months already, the interesting & promised features have not turned up yet (except maybe 'Identify') and all we hear is "we are aware of it, we are working on it, we are bug fixing, we are enhancing...."

As much as I appreciate the input and hard work, we need to see more. In 2 solid months Im sure a lot more could have been done, we could have seen better + more useful updates + more features!

What I'm suspecting is that you're working on your main Win/Mac application most of the time and only move to maemo when you have an afternoon to spare, am I correct? If yes, you need to adapt your information strategy, tell people how things are done at your end and what timeframe we can expect!

Regards,
Hauser

Last edited by Haus3r; 2010-09-20 at 16:44.

Originally Posted by Haus3r View Post
Hello Peter! Not having heard anything interesting from you in quite some time I began to wonder: When can we expect a new update? It's been over 2 months already, the interesting & promised features have not turned up yet (except maybe 'Identify') and all we hear is "we are aware of it, we are working on it, we are bug fixing, we are enhancing...."

As much as I appreciate the input and hard work, we need to see more. In 2 solid months Im sure a lot more could have been done, we could have seen better + more useful updates + more features!

What I'm suspecting is that you're working on your main Win/Mac application most of the time and only move to maemo when you have an afternoon to spare, am I correct? If yes, you need to adapt your information strategy, tell people how things are done at your end and what timeframe we can expect!

Regards,
Hauser
Hey Hauser,

Sorry for the delay. We try and release an update every week or two addressing both the "little things" (like the silent profile or the embedded artwork bug) and the biggest issue we've battled with so far (which is speed). We're working on Maemo full time, actually and part of the reason some of these things are taking so long is that we need to lay the ground work for a lot of the stuff we're planning now so we don't wind up in another lengthy refactoring period. Over the next 4 weeks you should see two more updates from us that will address the remainder of the smaller issues as well as speed and memory issues. Once we've cleared those you'll see a steadier pace of "new" stuff come out -- we just have to make sure the stuff we've built works as advertised before moving on to totally new things. Does that make sense?

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to peter@instinctiv.com For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by peter@instinctiv.com View Post
Hey Hauser,

Sorry for the delay. We try and release an update every week or two addressing both the "little things" (like the silent profile or the embedded artwork bug) and the biggest issue we've battled with so far (which is speed). We're working on Maemo full time, actually and part of the reason some of these things are taking so long is that we need to lay the ground work for a lot of the stuff we're planning now so we don't wind up in another lengthy refactoring period. Over the next 4 weeks you should see two more updates from us that will address the remainder of the smaller issues as well as speed and memory issues. Once we've cleared those you'll see a steadier pace of "new" stuff come out -- we just have to make sure the stuff we've built works as advertised before moving on to totally new things. Does that make sense?
Yes Peter, that makes perfect sense, and answered all of my questions It's exactly the post I was looking for, not because you said what will be happening but within what timeframe! Glad to hear that you are diverting your attention to Maemo on a full time basis, you are - commercially - a very rare bread around these lands

Anyway, I am looking forward to more Instinctive material in the coming months! Just do me a favour: Keep posting timeframes. Tell us when we can expect what - even roughly. That's what keeps people/customers happy and gives them something to look forward to (perfect if you want people to stay on the ball!).

Hauser

The Following User Says Thank You to Haus3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Greece
Hate to repeat myself but some posts before i was wondering about the cpu usage you re getting while using insictiv.Any feedback?
Trying to figure out if the problem is on my end or a ~85% usage is a normal/expected one.