Posts: 98 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Netherlands
well
you didnt end up in surgery did you

i would have cleaned the n900 up unless i had eaten haegis or somethin

Last edited by 7thd; 2011-08-28 at 10:03.

guys, too much information and off topic

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pillum For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
This thread is full of SHITE.... what sort of dirty minds have you lot got i suppose the next line will be all about scaat ?

For your information you can drown your N900 for a good few hours in water and as long as it aint got acid of some kind it will still work after a proper wash and dry out, all be it you might have blown a fuse on the votage input from the charger when you first plugged it in not being dry enough but that is an easy fix.

I think the hardest fix will be to get off the hardened shite that has stuck to the case.... yukkkkk.

Change the bloody subject for gods sake.

since i had a succesful full recovery I'll post my experiences. i didnt take it apart cos i cant. if someone took it apart please post what parts were rescued better by doing that

-remove battery ! ASAP!

-open the phone and remove the biggest drops with kitchen paper or sth. ensure the paper will be retracted intact

-ASAP: RICE attracts moisture really well but comes loose after using it (dont use salt it will stick!) leave your phone in a bowl of rice (i had the front Upwards)

-I think I have left it 30mins there but those minutes lasted long maybe it was 20 mins

-then I began using the hairdryer extensively. Try to envision how you can let the air spread thru your phone

-i had it do a second dip in the rice bowl

-after i think 45 mins or so i dared to turn it on. i thought by that time i could perhaps prevent further corrosion as parts of the phone would be heaten up by the battery and the last water would be vaporized

-more hot air, some restarts

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
For your information you can drown your N900 for a good few hours in water and as long as it aint got acid of some kind it will still work after a proper wash and dry out
few hours??? you think it would survive after being SOAKED?

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by tmavica View Post
i accidently dropped it from my left hand when i am cleaning my a-s -s hole......at that moment, i think about 10 secs....finally after i clean up my hole, i change my clothes and go to nokia shop buy a new one...really sad !!!!
Dude!!!.......

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2011-08-28 at 10:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 7thd View Post
few hours??? you think it would survive after being SOAKED?
For your information it is normal practise to soak pcb's in cleaning fluid for sometimes hours depending for the reason for the wash and then dry them out, the only difference there is you dry them by hanging them up and you can not do this if you don't take the pcb out of it's case.

Many times i have washed mobile phones in hot soapy water then cleaned them with pcb cleaner, dry out and put back together, it is a 99% success rate unless corrosion has set in.

Corrosion takes weeks or months even not a few hours so i really do not know what the fuss is all about, you just got to be prepared to take it all apart, clean it properly and put it back together again.

We are only talking 3.7 volts here and milliamps. the only thing that could get damaged is the actuall battery, even the camera's clean and dry out ok.

intruiging
ye OK: cleaning fluid, taking pcb out of case

practically speaking a common user like myself don't have the capacities let alone the means to do that on short notice.

Service manual topic

As for putting a mobile still in its case into rice... no way, it will not work simply because moisture can stay inside mobiles indefinitly unless they are opened up so forget the rice idea.

The gap between surface mount components and the pcb can be so small that it has to be blown out or hung up so it evaoprates and has a way out to disperse, so how do you get grains of rice that close to "draw" out moisture?, will never work if the pcb is still inside it's case.

The biggest failure would have to be the lcd display and even that can be washed and dried out if you know what your doing.

Originally Posted by 7thd View Post
intruiging
ye OK: cleaning fluid, taking pcb out of case

practically speaking a common user like myself don't have the capacities let alone the means to do that on short notice.

Service manual topic
Then if you leave it for a long time you will get corrosion on just about every component and that is bye bye, you either do it the proper way or throw it in the bin, it really is as simple as that.

Forget rice forget hair dryers, take it out its case and wash it in hot water dry it out outside of its case and it will work again.

The secret is making sure it is dry before you fire it back up again.

PS if i had a pound for every pcb i have washed and put back together again i would have enough to go on a very long luxurious holiday and still have enough to buy a mobile when i got back lol.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-08-28 at 10:56.