Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
N9fanclub

hands on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M27Po5loxKY

Camera features
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejwL3-DwOhA

Last edited by aironeous; 2011-09-23 at 01:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
It just doesnt look very good........

http://www.google.com/trends?q=nokia...ate=all&sort=0

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post

I think you might have schizophrenia or perhaps bi-polar disorder.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to unfuccwittable For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
There is a few people on this thread just down right nasty, i really hope Reggie comes on here and warns a few of you lot because your all starting to get just too much now.

N9 or no N9 you lot remember people are still human so stop the dammm name calling ok.

Do you understand why Nokia chose to release the n9 in these markets, now?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009

You like to constantly bring-up that old chestnut don't you.

Is that how you make all your decisions in life.
By how popular something is in the mass media?
Good luck with that working out for you...

It is rather irritating how it's not going to India, given how well it supposedly trending there.
And yet it's going to China, despite how poorly it's trending there compared to the iP5.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I will tell you right now that the N9 has no chance against the iPhone, not because I don't believe it to be a better device, but because Nokia will not be able to persuade Joe Public that it's a better device.
Nokia: "The N9 has a cool and easy to use touch UI."
Joe Public: "So does my iPhone."
Nokia: "But the N9 has an easy to use application store."
Joe Public: "So does my iPhone, and it has more content. Besides, my previous experiences with the Ovi Store suggest that it sucks when compared to the App Store. Why should I expect this to be any different?"
I think there'll be the odd iPhone convert....
Not nearly as many needed to make it a raging success, but more than the N900 could ever have hoped for.

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Nokia probably has a good reason not to release it yet (production problems, software bugs, missing online infrastructure etc.)
I really don't believe Nokia purposely delays MeeGo because of WP.
With the repositioning of MeeGo as a niche device similar to the N900, I don't think MeeGo and WP share many potential customers.
But the longer it is delayed the more difficult it is going to become for Nokia to sell the device.
But it kinda hasn't been repositioned as a niche device, and at the same time it has, it's all bi-polar'y.

Originally Posted by bbin View Post
I do agree. It needs to have support. Let's hope Nokia keeps it's word.
I've seen your really good work but I still don't understand why do you care so much about putting wp7 and harmattan against each other.
WP7 won't have qt. You are developing qt apps, right?
And where is Qt's future? Oh that's right, it's been relegated to dumbphones (S40).
Where MS eventually wants a piece of the pie too, with Tango & the like.
And many argue that smartphone OS's will supplant that sector eventually anyway.
Seems like Nokia may have given up being a software co. entirely (LT).

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I think Marko Ahtisaari is answering this question from an end-user perspective, not a developer one.
Also you are not using an exact quote. There is a difference between "obsessed people", and "people obsessed with ...".
You catch our drift, his response wasn't cool, but I guess it's the only one he could ever give to "the press".

What form that market for the "next billion" smartphone users will take on is totally not clear, as are the possibilities to make money with applications in that market.
Will it be Nokia Series 40 phones with swipe UI's and a large ecosystem with Qt applications?
Maybe, But I don't see anything like that happening just yet. (But I have been known to be wrong on many occasions)
It all seems very odd to me, esp. with MS wanting a piece of that segment w/Tango anyway.
Will Nokia just bend over for MS there too...

Also user interfaces based on swipe concepts may look nice, but they haven't proven themselves yet.
iOS has only a few swipe concepts, WebOS took it a lot further as does MeeGo and Windows 8.
The problem is that swipe interface mechanics are hidden features, something that goes totally against the GUI ideas of the desktop computers.
It requires some learning, and isn't always easily discovered when "exploring".
You see that in WebOS, that has a tutorial when you first start the device.
Maybe in 10 ten years we look at that tutorial the same way as we do now with the mouse tutorial in Windows 3.1, who knows.
I'm very interested in these swipe UI concepts and hope they really do work well, but seeing is believing, and I haven't used MeeGo or Windows 8 yet.
I do have a Palm Pre 2 at work, but those swipe concepts haven't blown my mind or something (it's "ok" in my opinion).
Will swipe UX continue in future devices? I think even that remains to be seen.
Personally, I think such concepts will be round for the long-haul, they seem very solid/intuitive to me.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It may be a virtual machine, but it seems like that's sort of the whole design paradigm in Android and everything is optimized and only getting faster and faster to support that from the hardware/processor on up to the applications. I'm not sure where you've been, but I've seen some incredibly fluid applications for everything from video editing to video games to--get this, even MEGADEMO scene type stuff. Sure, it's a virtual machine based operating system but despite your word for it, there's plenty of reviews and video out there that seems to disagree with the assertion you're attempting to make that virtual machine code runs slow. (i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTTVr0lvmo or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvKGGYfM-Dg or any number of other demos of people running pretty buttery smooth stuff on devices that are as much as a year old sometimes--by the by, that last one takes virtualization a step farther by emulating the Tegra chipset graphics on non-Tegra devices... so.. there's that, too.) Have you even used an Android device lately?
I wasn't attempting to assert anything… I said it's most likely way better now, did you read my post?
It's been about 10mth since I used it heavily, which is why I said no doubt it's improved lots w/gingerbread & 2011 ph's.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-23 at 05:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Already posted, but thanks.

oh, my fault
hard to read/remember any of these 6800 posts

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pillum For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????