Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by anti-dualism View Post
Does the screen turn on with the screen placed facing your body in the holster?
Nope never has - it seems to be too far or too weak to have any effect on the sensor.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
My case has 4 magnets on it. 2 on the case and 2 on the flap.

The only issue I have had is that occasionally, my sd card gets dismounted (easy to remount). Other than that the screen will flash on for a second when I pull it out, but goes right back off.

No issues with battery life. (It doesn't get stuck on in the case).

Case was a generic smart phone case from Best Buy, fits nicely, easy to slide out, <$20.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
The only issue I have had is that occasionally, my sd card gets dismounted (easy to remount).
Are you sure that SD card dismount is controlled by magnetic switch?

Reading multiple posts I assumed the same but today I found that SD mount/unmount is controlled by covering a small hole near camera lens under cover. If I cover this hole with finger or piece of black paper with open back cover my SD unmounts and mounts again after I remove a finger.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Are you sure that SD card dismount is controlled by magnetic switch?

Reading multiple posts I assumed the same but today I found that SD mount/unmount is controlled by covering a small hole near camera lens under cover. If I cover this hole with finger or piece of black paper with open back cover my SD unmounts and mounts again after I remove a finger.
All I can tell you is that without removing my cover (I even have a cheap "rubberized" plastic cover on the back) that my SD card occasionally disappears from the file manager. In the beginning, it would also occasionally report corrupted, but since I reformatted it, that hasn't happened.

I assumed that this was related to the magnets. If not, I can't imagine how else that would happen?

Now that I think about it, perhaps the plastic case is keeping it far enough away from the magnets? (as far as activating the screen)

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2009 @ White Post, VA
My case has 4 magnets on it. 2 on the case and 2 on the flap.

The only issue I have had is that occasionally, my sd card gets dismounted (easy to remount). Other than that the screen will flash on for a second when I pull it out, but goes right back off.

No issues with battery life. (It doesn't get stuck on in the case).

Case was a generic smart phone case from Best Buy, fits nicely, easy to slide out, <$20.
Same here. My SD card gets dismounted at times when my N900 is in the case. Other than that I don't have an issue.

It was discovered that there are two hardware versions of N900 (at least it looks like - see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6689)

One is with magnetic switch for back cover, and another one (my, I am in California - direct buy from Nokia) has a small hole near camera lens with light sensor which monitors access to back-cover SD card. I was able to dismount SD card putting my finger over that hole.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
It was discovered that there are two hardware versions of N900 (at least it looks like - see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6689)

One is with magnetic switch for back cover, and another one (my, I am in California - direct buy from Nokia) has a small hole near camera lens with light sensor which monitors access to back-cover SD card. I was able to dismount SD card putting my finger over that hole.
I thought the light sensor was used to detect the camera door position. There are white and black squares on the inside of the cover. Black for closed, white for open. When the cover is on, this triggers the camera.

Obviously, mine has the light sensor, but it has no impact on the sd card. As far as I think anyone knows, there are pre-production devices and production devices. There is only one style of the hardware for production devices. Otherwise you'd have to differtiate the firmware based on light sensor/magnetic sensor and we haven't seen that. Any time you opened the camera cover your card would unmount.

I'll bet while pressing on the light sensor, you stressed the sd card holder and the card contact briefly came away from the N900 contacts. Please check again carefully, and I bet the light sensor doesn't affect the card.

I thought the light sensor was used to detect the camera door position. There are white and black squares on the inside of the cover. Black for closed, white for open. When the cover is on, this triggers the camera.

Obviously, mine has the light sensor, but it has no impact on the sd card. As far as I think anyone knows, there are pre-production devices and production devices. There is only one style of the hardware for production devices. Otherwise you'd have to differtiate the firmware based on light sensor/magnetic sensor and we haven't seen that. Any time you opened the camera cover your card would unmount.

I'll bet while pressing on the light sensor, you stressed the sd card holder and the card contact briefly came away from the N900 contacts. Please check again carefully, and I bet the light sensor doesn't affect the card.
OK, may be - I don't want to open cover again for now, it's pins are fragile.

But following advice in that bug report - and my KBD is not unlocked in my magnetic case anymore. It definitely should save me battery. Lightning screen and KBD sucks the power.

A reliable way to test this is to run cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc0/cover_switch with the cover "on" and with the cover "off" (or magnet, or whatever you do).

Having had a look at the schematics and the kernel sources, it doesn't look like there's an easy (userspace-only) way to stop the SD-card from unmounting when the back cover comes off (or a magnet is waved near it).

It's possible to do with a kernel recompile, a simple kernel module, or some run-time patching, but I cannot find any knobs exposed to userspace to disable it.

Tags
case, cases, hardware, keyboard switch, magnetic closure, magnetic latches, magnetic monopoles attack, magnetic switch, magnetic switches, magnets, magnets wake device, magnets wake n900, n900, n900 needs hard case, switch, switches