I've been following the release of the new Galaxy S III fairly closely and was constantly thinking to myself: this is how Nokia should have done it.

The Galaxy SIII was announced beginning May 2012 and released globally (sans the usual suspects) end of the same month. Then not even a week later the kernel source code is released to make the devs happy who had helped the predecessor become so successful).
Hardware wise you push for bleeding edge features in every significant category:
  • CPU: dual core Krait@1.5GHz or quad core Exynos@1.4GHz
  • Screen: currently highest resolution available for <5" (1280x720)
  • Flash memory: 16-64GB expandable via micro-SD
  • Battery: 2100mAh *user replaceable*
  • GPS+GLONASS
  • designed to allow for wireless charging

And THIS is how you create a vibrant "ecosystem" around it:
Samsung has outdone Nokia in producing a huge variety of models each targetted at a slightly different demographic/niche. They offer phones and tablets with 3", 3.5", 4", 4.3", 4.8", 5", 5.3", 7", 7.7", 8.9", 10.1" screens, some models have cheaper variants featuring only WIFI.

Some might say they are just throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks, but that is actually a viable strategy when new technologies arise - *if* you have the cash; which Samsung does (Nokia as well btw, at least up until recently). That way they can also experiment with new formats, e.g. like the Galaxy Note, a seemingly way oversized phone (phablet) with stylus that nonetheless became hugely popular especially in Asian markets).

Then on top of that you offer upgrade paths for the newest OS versions for those devices that support it and source code for the devs.

One thing Samsung and Nokia perform comparably though, is the somewhat mediocre presentation events of their new flagship devices (long-winded, unexciting, confusing for both, geeks and plebs).

Samsung is also the company that is pushing Tizen, so they have a contingency plan if their current Android strategy should ever go belly up.

I think this is the kind of vision many people would like to see from Nokia.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nephridium For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Too bad that no matter how awesome its hardware is, it's still running a really, really awful operating system.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LavaCroft For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Apeldoorn area, Netherlands
If only it wasn't that expensive.
And the only better OS is Maemo. IOS/WP and Blackberry are all way worse.

dual core Krait@1.5GHz or quad core Exynos@1.4GHz
I haven't read alot about the S3, but are you able to buy different models?

Basically the LTE versions of the S3 have dual core Krait and are carrier subsidized. The Canadian LTE has 2 GB of RAM whereas all the others have 1 GB. The non-LTE "world" version is pentaband UMTS with the quad-core Exynos.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
SGS3 is nothing... Wait for gnote ll. That will be top of the line in every match aspect.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 216 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Mars
Oh oh,its chuck norris :O

**** just got real >

Yes. I hope Nokia's general board members throw up when they watch Samsung going way ahead.

Nokia had all the chances, even better, but it blew it by submitting itself as a Microsoft slave. Either they (general board) were very stupid or highly incompetent, because at least everyone else knew the shortcoming in WP7 and the depressing 15 year of loser history of MS in the mobile world.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
it`s not actually bad....I like android 4.0....pinch to zoom in calendar, amazing email client....I`m actually for the 1st time since I got my N900 being thinking of replacing it with this phone.....that means that Samsung is doing an excellent job

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
this is how n9 should to be, monster spec with beautiful os,

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
SGS3 is nothing... Wait for gnote ll. That will be top of the line in every match aspect.
Chuck Norris, please breathe life into my "concept":

MISC
-Android 4.0.3 (with New TouchWizz) -promised update to Android 4.1 JellyBean
-Easily rootable and no locked bootloader
-Pentaband HSPDA+ and LTE (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

SPECS
-Exynos 5xxx processor (32nm)
(Dualcore ARM A15 + Solocore ARM Cortex A7 = big.LITTLE computing!!!!!)
-1GB RAM Dual-Channel (surely more is better, but this is more than enough)
-New GPU either Mali-T604 or PowerVR SGX545MP4
-2,500mAh removable battery

FEATURES
-New 5.19" HD SAMOLED *Plus* display
-1280 x 800 resolution and Gorilla Glass2
-12MP Rear Lens (burst capture, face, smile detection, geotagging, panorama)
-Xenon LED flash
-2MP Front-facing camera (capable of HD-Skype)

CONNECTIVITY, ETC ETC
-32GB NAND
-microSD slot (upto 64GB) located above battery, not below (!!!!!!)
-Wifi bgn, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC
-aGPS, GLONASS, compass, barometre
-gyro, light sensor, proximity sensor
-Improved S PEN (!!!!!!!!!)
-Notifications light (!!!!!!!!!)
-Pass a 5V current to the MHL port so that USB-HOST is more compatible (!!!!!!!!!)
-Pass a 5V current to the MHL port so that HDMI doesn't need a power source (!!!!!!!!)

NEW DESIGN
-On-screen buttons (even smaller frame!!!!!!)
-New Stereo-Louspeaker located on front (like a BOSS!!!!!!!)
-New unibody/materials (brushed aluminium, kevlar etc etc)
-New dimensions: 127 x 73 x 8.8mm (44% smaller!!!)
http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...vs-Note2-vs-S2

-NEW NEW kickstand (covers the camera, protects lens from scratching!!!!!!!!)
-Kickstand props phone in landscape and portrait positions (!!!!!!)
-Kickstand made of metal that amplifies the telephone strength (like iPhone 4) without a need for a stronger radio and not closer to your head avoiding cellphone signal to brain. Also impossible to "antennagate" design(!!!!)
-Bulge on bottom allows phone to stay propped up
-When propped (standing) up vibration makes the phone dance like old Nokias(!!!!!)
-Bulge on bottom distributes weight better

Ending Notes:
Although the screen has been decreased, its only been decreased 7% so it isn't very noticeable. However, the overall device is now 44% smaller!!! That means its way more pocketable and much more manipulatable with one-hand usable. That's progress!

I'm flattered

Tags
ms blows, tizen rules