Active Topics

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
It's not a media application framework. It's Open Hardware Manager (http://ohm.freedesktop.org/wiki/).
Corrected. Thanks!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I'd also like to emphasise, again, that this release is not intended for consumption by users or even application developers. It is targeted at platform developers only. So please keep that in mind when making judgements about it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Oh really?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
API breaks have little to do with hardware support here.
We expect an API break between Maemo 4 and Maemo 5, mainly due to the OMAP3 support, the hardware-based graphics acceleration and the changes in the Desktop UI and the Realtime Communication framework.

OMAP3 would be hardware, hardware-based graphics acceleration would again be hardware. The other two would seem to be software. 50% > little in my opinion.

Frank

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Was 2 years the promise? No. It was 2 releases.
1. i know the promise was for 2 releases. however, there were no 2 releases (i do not consider fix as release) (and main reason for diablo was to ease updates - unfortunately, there will be none except for critical fixes).

2. i consider 2 years as standard time for support of software release.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
Hey, it's not my argument (I'm not knowledgeable enough on the low level details to have an opinion), it's their announcement that says so: The revamped UI relying on graphics acceleration and the new functionality built around the new supported hardware made it too complex to keep the compatibility between both architectures.
For Nokia, but, like I've said, the community isn't bound by the same limitations as Nokia. So the complexity involved is reduced—we don't need to support everything they'd have to support, and our support level in certain areas doesn't have to be up to Nokia's level. We can ship a distribution with DSP-accelerated OpenGL rendering, or just stripped of OpenGL dependencies, but Nokia can't.

Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
Oh really?
Yes, really.

We expect an API break between Maemo 4 and Maemo 5, mainly due to the OMAP3 support, the hardware-based graphics acceleration and the changes in the Desktop UI and the Realtime Communication framework.

OMAP3 would be hardware, hardware-based graphics acceleration would again be hardware. The other two would seem to be software. 50% > little in my opinion.
Stuff like GTK breaks don't have a thing to do with hardware, and OpenGL support is still a software issue (drivers, remember?). OMAP3-support isn't really an API issue, but a capability issue.

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
I think there is a common theme here. Nokia claims hardware is 2 out of 4 of the reasons for API breakage. GA claims rightfully so that it's not really hardware differences for the breakage. It's a business decision. Call it what it is and move on.

Frank

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I just had a look at http://repository.maemo.org/unstable...t_changes.html

Is there a reason why some packages have -debug and other -dbg? Most are called -dbg, but there is also hildon-application-framework-debug.

I wonder what is non-free about libspeex1.

Aside from this, what was promised is delivered...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I think there is a common theme here. Nokia claims hardware is 2 out of 4 of the reasons for API breakage. GA claims rightfully so that it's not really hardware differences for the breakage. It's a business decision. Call it what it is and move on.

Frank
Well, surely the packages will be compiled with optimized settings for OMAP3. If you read the announcement you'd notice Quim invites the community to backport to OMAP2/N8x0.

Nokia is just not going to put energy into this. Can't blame them, they sell hardware (and services). Not Maemo 5.0...

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
What does "cellular data connectivity" mean? I thought we already could already connect to cellular devices and cellular data networks. I'm missunderstanding something because I doubt he's saying that these are going to be able to be used as day to day cell phones.