Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by X-Fade View Post
Don't forget that those are community packages. People are uploading those packages in their spare time for you to enjoy. Mistakes do happen.

We are working on better quality control, but things like this can happen at the moment.
I can take the occasion oops, but this is an all the time issue. If I installed a dozen packages I could basically be guaranteed that one of them would upgrade, but be broken, or not upgrade.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I can take the occasion oops, but this is an all the time issue. If I installed a dozen packages I could basically be guaranteed that one of them would upgrade, but be broken, or not upgrade.
"Map" and FBReader aren't in Extras (Nokia certified and FBReader's own repo), so they aren't really relevant to the discussion here.

So, by your examples, we've got one "oops" that's related to Extras QC.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
This is what we like to prevent with a little bit of quality control, but on the other hand we don't want to make it impossible for developers to upload their packages. If you make it too hard to upload, people will just go and create their own repository. When that happens, we can't do anything about it anymore.

So the direction should be help developers make better quality packages, but don't scare them off or offend them

At the moment, there are only a few community heroes that have uploaded a lot of quality packages. It would be nice if they would teach/help out new developers with their packages.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
Quality control: I don't care how much you clean up the interface if the packages flakey
UI: Why can't I just upgrade all packages that are available?
Well, one argument would be that those who don't know how to apt-get upgrade should be aware of what they're upgrading so they can tell which bit of (pre)beta just hosed their system.
Right now maemo.org has how many packages that you would consider beta? 15-30 I would say. Noobs should be prevented, by default, from installing packages that have not been through QC.
Maybe, but I prefer severe and dire warnings over restrictions,
Right now maps, FBreader, and OpenSSH will not upgrade through App Manager ( that's 40% of the 3rd party apps I have installed on this unit ).
Hmmm... my calculator says you have 7.5 apps installed. I knew the situation was bad, but which packages are only half there?

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Well, one argument would be that those who don't know how to apt-get upgrade should be aware of what they're upgrading so they can tell which bit of (pre)beta just hosed their system.
Which package is pre-beta... FBreader, Modest, Canola2, OpenSSH, Map, or RTcomm beta? These are not left field applications, these are the kind of applications that really expected should be in Extras? or am I completly off base here? These are some of the leading applications for the unit. ( except for map... shame on nokia for that one )

Hmmm... my calculator says you have 7.5 apps installed. I knew the situation was bad, but which packages are only half there?
I know you are joking, but OpenSSH the meta-package upgraded fine but left OpenSSH-Client and Server stranded with dependancy errors.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
At the moment, there are only a few community heroes that have uploaded a lot of quality packages. It would be nice if they would teach/help out new developers with their packages.
What I'd like to see is more teaming with guys like these at the helm. I find it discouraging to see 3 efforts toward the same goal (a true example of one solution) with little or no interaction... much less efforts to consolidate projects.

This is another area where I believe official support would be helpful. Maemo should support teams, and we can take that discussion to another area to decide how that can happen. But regardless, IMO, it needs to.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
I can add paging for those categories.

How would we determine "Essentials"? Based on downloads and ratings?
Yes! That's how PalmGear did it. Before they rotted out from inside.

Just click on the 'XXX applications' link on the downloads frontpage, this links to http://maemo.org/downloads/list/OS2008/all for example.
Clicking on 'Fresh' and 'Popular will give you a list of the top 25 items. (Paging would be a good idea to show more)
Oy. Mystery meat navigation at its finest ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Meat_Navigation ). I had no idea that was a link, and I am excessively familiar with the web. Can I suggest something like this CSS:

a {border-bottom: 2px solid lightgrey}

Hope it helps.

EDIT: Of course, you can do other link rules for hover, visited, active etc. I'll leave that up to you. Thanks for pointing that out by the way, I really needed that.

Last edited by BoxOfSnoo; 2008-03-28 at 15:29.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
Yes! That's how PalmGear did it. Before they rotted out from inside.
That is doable.

Oy. Mystery meat navigation at its finest ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Meat_Navigation ). I had no idea that was a link, and I am excessively familiar with the web. Can I suggest something like this CSS:

a {border-bottom: 2px solid lightgrey}

Hope it helps.

EDIT: Of course, you can do other link rules for hover, visited, active etc. I'll leave that up to you. Thanks for pointing that out by the way, I really needed that.
Well, all links on the website are blue

The whole website design wasn't mine, I guess links without underlines are 'cool'. I guess we can change it a bit.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Well, all links on the website are blue

The whole website design wasn't mine, I guess links without underlines are 'cool'. I guess we can change it a bit.
True, but links with a subtle underlined in a different color are SUPER cool

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
True, but links with a subtle underlined in a different color are SUPER cool
I prefer hover effects and color for identifying links, but to each his own.