I've tried putting in Apple Headphones w/ Mic, and they just give a ton load of static when completely pushed in, if I pull it slightly outward, to the second line on the jack, one side works, and sometimes both. Why does this happen?

I wanted to get a new pair of earbuds with a microphone, but I'm scared it won't be compatible with my N900.

Could you please name some?
Just an idea, would say, Skullcandy FMJ's w/ Mic work with the N900? Confirmation would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
Yeah it does the same with my ipod earphones. (Not sure why) I bought a new pair of Sennheiser's, and they are good and work fine.
This thread may help http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56389.
EDIT: The sennheiser's I use are the MM50 non-iphone variant.

Last edited by bigears5000; 2011-01-05 at 09:35.

Thanks, What Senheisser's did you get?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Jaastin View Post
I've tried putting in Apple Headphones w/ Mic, and they just give a ton load of static when completely pushed in, if I pull it slightly outward, to the second line on the jack, one side works, and sometimes both. Why does this happen?
Nokia used one arrangement of rings in the headset jacks of their smartphones. Then, when Apple designed the iPhone, they used a different arrangement. All headsets made for the iPhone will behave as you've found your Apple headset to do.

There are a number of existing threads regarding this issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Hey could you please help me? I got a new pair of headphones, and these don't work either. Now Im headphoneless.. fml. Is there anyway to fix it?

Originally Posted by Jaastin View Post
Hey could you please help me? I got a new pair of headphones, and these don't work either. Now Im headphoneless.. fml. Is there anyway to fix it?
HeadPHONE or HeadSET? A lot of confusion is created on this subforum with people not making the distinction.

In terms of HeadSETs, the above post explaining the iPhone wiring vs N900 wiring is true - no iPhone-intended headset will work properly with the N900.

In terms of HeadPHONEs, anything stereo (bar truly exotic headphones such as orthodynamics or electrostatics) *will* work. If you've bought HeadPHONEs and it doesn't work, either your N900's jack is dead (if you try plugging any other HeadPHONE into the jack and it doesn't work either) or the headphone is faulty.

Last edited by punto; 2011-01-06 at 01:03.

yeah, its the headset.
Why is Nokia so "smart" or Apple.

Gosh, just wasted a ton load of money on this, now i can't do anything.

Apple is not the party to blame here - defo Nokia with their stupid headset implementation in the N900. And not just the wiring either (i.e. the lack of support for anything other the one button).

You could do what I did - which is to buy a WH-205 (ie. the standard N900 pack-in headset) on fleabay, snip, solder a volume control / standard headphone jack onto them and plug in the headPHONEs of your choice.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=66

Last edited by punto; 2011-01-06 at 01:10.

Is there any reprogramming or home hack to flip it around?

And also, is it possible to break the headphone jack cause I put it in anyways?

Punto, sorry to repost, but is there anyway to disable the Microphone, and just go on to Grounding?