Notices

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ West Coast, USA
I have searched around the forums a bit and I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I will be travelling in a few days and wanted to watch movies on my phone while on the airplane.

Can't I somehow download movies onto my computer at home and transfer those movies onto my N900 using either PC Suite Mode or even USB Mass Storage mode?

If so, I know you can't transfer movies that you downloaded from iTunes since they are DRM'ed but what is an easy and reputable way of downloading good quality movies on my computer and transferring this over to my N900?

I also just installed SongBird on my PC last night and I guess it's supposed to work exactly like iTunes but SongBird has been integrated to work with the N900. Maybe I can download movies from Songbird and then transfer them? I don't mind paying a small price so I'm not looking for only free options.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by ABerri View Post
I have searched around the forums a bit and I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I will be travelling in a few days and wanted to watch movies on my phone while on the airplane.

Can't I somehow download movies onto my computer at home and transfer those movies onto my N900 using either PC Suite Mode or even USB Mass Storage mode?

If so, I know you can't transfer movies that you downloaded from iTunes since they are DRM'ed but what is an easy and reputable way of downloading good quality movies on my computer and transferring this over to my N900?

I also just installed SongBird on my PC last night and I guess it's supposed to work exactly like iTunes but SongBird has been integrated to work with the N900. Maybe I can download movies from Songbird and then transfer them? I don't mind paying a small price so I'm not looking for only free options.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Here
Here
Here
Here
Here
Here
And under 10 minutes ago i posted on here!

Joppu has a good post here...
I think you get the jyst - the search works - here's another

Ok, yes, sorry slightly sarcastic - but there isn't 1 simple walk trhough, as each dvd is different - so unless you use a download site in previous posts above, you will need to follow one of the many tutorials - good luck (P.s. took about 1.5 hrs to do the whole decrypt, encoding and copying the first time i did it, per dvd
Also iphone dvd's you can buy online will work, but the n900 can do much better quality

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
As long as it's not DRM'd most movies play nicely on the N900.
You can transfer them in USB mass storage mode.
But 720p or higher resolution is not supported.

You can legally get some movies here: http://www.youtube.com/movies

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I rip DVDs using <plug>tablet-encode</plug>; there's a basic GUI but the command line usage is quite simple.

To rip a film DVD to 800x480 2000kpbs DivX: (probably overkill ;-))
Code:
tablet-encode --preset n900 dvd: mymovie.avi
To rip all episodes of a TV show DVD:
Code:
tablet-encode -p n900 --episodes dvd: outputfolder/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Huh, I didn't know you updated tablet-encode to include N900 support. Guess I'll have to download your script once I get home. =)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by pycage View Post

You can legally get some movies here: http://www.youtube.com/movies
Is is possible to download from there ?

I still have a lot of MP4s that don't seem to play on the N900 even with the decoder pack. Any hint on those?

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Huh, I didn't know you updated tablet-encode to include N900 support. Guess I'll have to download your script once I get home. =)
It has been mentioned many times the past few weeks, but I guess those keep getting buried by the flaming troll threads.

Since it is dead simple to invoke and "just works" because its whole purpose is to be optimised for the various tablets, it takes very little vertical space in a post. I guess that makes it get lost even in an encode for the n900 thread between all the huge, complicated postings full of screen shots for the complicated, platform specific, GUI transcoding apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
google "w-bb" to get some movies

the n900 doesn't need to convert movies...it plays almost anything...so just download the movies and transfer them to the N900 via Mass Storage mode..

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
I still have a lot of MP4s that don't seem to play on the N900 even with the decoder pack. Any hint on those?
Same here. Droid plays most MP4's fine, but the N900 default player does not. Mplayer has played every MP4 I have tried.