Active Topics

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Oulu, Finland
Update:
version 0.0.25diablo now has automatic installation of required packages.

Please ignore the most of this post, as I do not intend to keep it up to date.

If you're running Diablo, click this: http://mikie.dy.fi/maemo/sliderotate-diablo.install
If you're running Chinook, click this: http://mikie.dy.fi/maemo/rotate.install

Go to last page of this thread to see whats going on.

DO NOT QUOTE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS BELOW THIS LINE IF YOU REPLY TO THIS THREAD!
THEY ARE OUTDATED, AND KEPT ONLY FOR HISTORICAL REFERENCE!
Most of the information after this line is outdated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diablo is now supported in version 0.0.20.diablo
From now on only the version for Diablo will be updated.

Update: 0.0.21.diablo now has configurable portrait orientation.

Now available in http://sliderotate.garage.maemo.org
EDIT: I really should rewrite this post, since so much has changed, but sadly don't have the time now.
You do want to read this thread, the answers are here.
Please always use this thread for questions, do not start a new one to ask something, since I have a hard time following the few ones I am subscribed to.
Minimal instructions: install this (Chinook). or this (Diablo) then follow the information that you get when installing.
Which is: open xterm, and then:
Code:
sudo gainroot
./install-xrandr-kernel
and reboot.

EDIT: ignore my blog entry, everything you need to know is/will be in this thread
Also, this works as well on a N800 (with OS2008) sans automatic rotation, because of the lack of sliding keyboard.

See my blog entry here:
http://mymaemo.blogspot.com/2008/04/...-for-n810.html

Automatic screen rotate for N810

After testing the taskbar applet to rotate the screen in my N810, I thought it would be much easier to use the power key to initiate rotation.

Also when opening the keyboard, I wanted the screen to automatically rotate to landscape to be able to see what I was writing and return to portrait mode when the keyboard is closed.

Now it can be done:

This package provides the following functions:
-screen is rotated to portrait / landscape mode by
a) pressing the power key
b) pressing and holding the Application switch key for more than one second.

If the keyboard is opened when the screen is rotated to portrait mode, it will be rotated to landscape mode.

When the keyboard is closed, the screen is rotated back to portrait mode, if it was already in portrait mode when the keyboard was opened.

You will need to install the xserver-xomap with RandR support, as well as flash the kernel with RrandR support before this package will do anything. Since the updated components can't be a dependecy, you are required to do it yourself.

This one-click-install will provide you with an updateable xserver-xomap if you are not already using it.

After the package installation is complete, update the xserver-xomap by either the application manager or apt-get.

Then flash your N810 with this kernel and reboot to complete the installation

If you do not know how to flash the kernel or update the xserver-xomap, you are advised not to install this package at all, as you may brick your device while experimenting.

The RandR supporting kernel and xserver-xomap are provided by http://sse2.net/rotate/

If you don't like to have the power menu appear when using the power key to initiate rotation,
edit /etc/mce/mce.ini:

PowerKeyShortAction=disabled
PowerKeyLongAction=menu
PowerKeyDoubleAction=menu

Then you can rotate the screen with a short press, but still can access the menu with long press, or double-clicking it.

Last edited by emjayes; 2008-08-14 at 12:27.

The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to emjayes For This Useful Post:
I do seriously hope that this goes into Diablo ....

and particularly for not so brave souls (like myself), where the new Nokia Diablo kernel comes with these fixes and R&R support.

But thanks nevertheless to you for this easy fix, once the kernel hack is applied.

Update:
the one-click install now provides the tools necessary for flashing the kernel in device.
You don't need a desktop PC to flash the kernel anymore (thank fanoush for the tools http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/ ).
Install the package, exit Application manager, run xterm:
sudo gainroot
/root/install-xrandr-kernel

this will install the RandR enabled kernel and xserver , as well as modify mce.ini to disable PowerKeyShortAction to only rotate the screen, instead of giving the power menu.

answer y or yes to couple of questions an voilá, rotating N8X0.

Use power key to rotate the screen (N800/N810)
Open the keyboard (N810) to rotate back to landscape, close it to return to the
previous orientation.

As always: REMEMBER TO TAKE A BACKUP FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!
It has worked flawlessly for more than 10 test installations on both N800 and N810, but you never know.

Last edited by emjayes; 2008-04-25 at 13:07. Reason: Caveat

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to emjayes For This Useful Post:
Nice work; having it wrapped up will make a lot more people use portrait mode, and hopefully that will result in more apps handling portrait well..

For my part, I'm already using powerlaunch, so I won't be using it, but if I had an N810, I'd rip the keyboard bit!

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
can the statusbar applet still be installed and used with this?

Why wouldn't it work? Just try it.

I did everything the post said and i don't think it worked.....

The install went smoothly, and after a lot of "ok" presses i went into x term and installed the kernal provided. It seemed to go smoothly as well. Restarted but when i short hit the power nothing happens.

If i double tap I get the Menu. And obvously if i hold it down it turns off. Single tap ... nothing.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Since i'm using powerlaunch - is it possible to make double click rotation?

For those useing powerlaunch,install the rotate applet and use that to rotate to portrait.
I will make changes to enable the long-home-keypress again.
I will notify you when it's done. Most likely monday.

Double click rotation and longpress is troublesome, because you will still get the powermenu. This can be prevented with short press.
That's why I chose short press for rotation.

Bear in mind this is a work in progress, so there will be changes and updates.

to rotate the screen from command line run: xrandr -o left
then play with the slide.

Last edited by emjayes; 2008-04-25 at 19:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emjayes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Thanks but powerlaunch doesn't use systemui. All config files are in /etc/powerlaunch

Bit complicated but extremely customizable.