Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I think emjayes is the closest with automatic rotation. But is it really that hard to install? I've done 7 installs of rotation with no problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Can't go sideways? is that a "KDE doesn't know what to do with 480px width"? or the display won't rotate at all?
I know XV doesn't work in portrait mode, but I'd have thought K would get by fine...
Well it actually works, kind of that is? I turns the display sideways but you cannot see the whole screen, there is a black spot on the bottom and the right half of the screen is off the side. I can use the whole screen, but taskbar is running right through the middle of the screen.

I am still playing
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
What am I doing wrong? The install goes through the motions and then complains about not enough memory. The internal memory went from ~40M down to 1kb. I have a 2G SD card in the external slot that was empty other than the .deb install file. I ran it again after clearing more space but I'm down to no space again. I have the boot menu but of course it won't boot off SD. The SD card doesn't appear to have been touched. I've now uninstalled it but still have the boot menu. Can I at least remove whatever is taking up my internal memory?

N800 with OS2008

edit->I did the suggested update but quickly came up with not enough memory.

Last edited by IcelandDreams; 2008-04-29 at 14:55.

Originally Posted by smog View Post
I had problem on a freshly flashed n800 with the internal 8gb sdhc; got a no boot and the IT was locked at the Nokia logo.

I'm reflashing it and I will try it again and let you know if it's ok by editing or deleting this post.

So it hosed your flash install? Or the SD card would not boot? did it install bootmenu. ALSO please send me the log from application manager
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
@IcelandDreams, if this script works in the same way as others, unmount /opt and go in and rm -rf /opt/* (for your 1kb problem if you can boot rootfs or mount the rootfs over ssh/telnet)

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-04-29 at 14:59.

Originally Posted by IcelandDreams View Post
What am I doing wrong? The install goes through the motions and then complains about not enough memory. The internal memory went from ~40M down to 1kb. I have a 2G SD card in the external slot that was empty other than the .deb install file. I ran it again after clearing more space but I'm down to no space again. I have the boot menu but of course it won't boot off SD. The SD card doesn't appear to have been touched. I've now uninstalled it but still have the boot menu. Can I at least remove whatever is taking up my internal memory?

N800 with OS2008

edit->I did the suggested update but quickly came up with not enough memory.
OK, #1 DO NOT PUT A DEB ON A CARD AND TRY TO INSTALL IT WHEN IT WILL PARTITION THE CARD ITS SITTING ON.

TO FIX
open xterm
(you will need to become root)

rm -rf /device/*

if its full, its because the mount failed because the SD card was in use. So it started the tar, and filled up your flash in /device

Then put the deb on flash somewhere, like documents, then run it again.

Ouch, I just did not see that one coming

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-04-29 at 15:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Maybe if you rotate before you start KDE...

no boot menu; only the locked nokia screen; only way out is reflash to OEM (say bye bye to the log file)

but I will try again after the reflash; a tiny reflash will not stop me from trying again; I want to experience your ICEWM on the SD card so I will do whatever needed to do it.

thanks again for your efforts to bring new stuff to the IT

EDIT : I ALSO HAD THE MEMORY FULL MESSAGE THEN RESTARTED THE .DEB; is it possible the script don't like to be stopped during process ?

Where are you placing the DEB? put it on flash NOT on the SD CARD

It makes sense not to put the deb on the SD but I've done similar things in the past with the understanding that the file would go away but the load happened anyway. So I'm trying it again after regaining space on the internal memory.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to IcelandDreams For This Useful Post:
reflashed the device to OEM, the DEB is in flash and again got a not enough memory on target location error; card corrupted, reformated within file manager
I had the same thing but after doing "rm -rf /device/*", rebooting, and then running the install again where it says "Updating" it completed. I can now boot off the SD.

Tags
deprecated