Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Today Nokia announced their Q4 figures. still in loss. lost 1.4 billion. Now what will happen next ? Elops sinking ship is now sinking faster. Nokia was even better with Symbian.

m.cnet.com/Article.rbml?nid=57366520&cid=null&bcid=&bid=-266

Its sad to see the company i love most dying.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
nokia will continue to do what they committed in the past 6 months. build more wp devices and focus on the wp ecosystem. to turn back now would cost them more.

that is what i think elop would be thinking. we call this masturbation - i.e. self enjoyment.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
What it should still do:
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...an-b-20110215/

But now replace "Meego" with "Tizen".

Now Nokia will go ahead and give future inferior Lumia-products for free in USA, getting some comfort money from MS in return.

N9 sold more (1.4 M?) than two different Lumia-models together (1.2 M?), in the same time; and although Lumia had reduced pricing, much more marketing, free x-boxes in Britain and stuff.

in the meantime competitions will bring:
Samsung Galaxy S3, iPhone 5, LG X3, HTC Zeta; all with quad-core processors. Nokia will have to wait for WP8 Apollo till 2013 to get even dual-core.

Last edited by zimon; 2012-01-26 at 14:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
What it should still do:

i hope you are kidding. Joining MeeGo was the biggest mistake Nokia did, should have stayed with Maemo.

Tizen is pretty much a joke.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Btw it reads Nokia did 458 million euros profits before taxes on the business site here?
At least Nokia went 7% up after the Q4 results on stock market

EDIT. Ah it seems Navteq brought the result down for well over 1 billion. Phone side was actually profitable.

Last edited by tissot; 2012-01-27 at 19:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
they shouldnt have left Maemo.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
What it should still do:

N9 sold more (1.4 M?) than two different Lumia-models together (1.2 M?), in the same time; and although Lumia had reduced pricing, much more marketing, free x-boxes in Britain and stuff.
AFAIK the N9 sales have not been mentioned. I very much doubt anything more than 100.000 . The N9 is relatively expensive, not marketed well, and hard to get outside of select markets.

But I don't care about the N9 sales figures anyway. I love my N9, best Nokia I have owned (but my N900 is still very good, a totally different user experience).

The Lumia 800 also isn't bad, but the bigger screen of the N9 alone is reason to prefer the N9 over Lumia 800.
The user experience of Windows Phone really is pretty good, good looking, smooth and simple. In a lot of ways similar design goals as the N9, but implemented differently.
A shame Windows Phone doesn't integrate with any services/software I use, so for me Windows Phone is a bad choice.

Nokia just had a lot of bad choices, and picked one. Continuing any Intel development would have been deadly. Just now is intel introducing a SoC that can actually be used in a phone, and it can't compete with the next gen high-end ARM SoC systems in any way (CPU, GPU and power).
Also Symbian, MeeGo and Windows are problematic.
Windows will be going through a rough transition to support ARM on NT kernel, and Intel will probably switch the windows phone platform to the same base.
MeeGo/Tizen (the Intel mix) is a buggy distribution that isn't ready for prime-time, and ARM support in other distributions is also in very active development, and not nearly as mature and optimized enough to compete with iOS (just look for the presentation of ARM on Ubuntu and look at the time it took Nokia to get Harmattan performance up to spec.)
Ask any developer that tried to port a game from iOS/Android/PC to Symbian, what they think about the platform. Symbian has improved, and does offer pretty good performance, but really is outdated in so many ways.

Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
they shouldnt have left Maemo.
This sentence it's really all that needs too be said.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by tissot View Post

Tizen is pretty much a joke.
..........?

nokia was not a sinking ship when Elop came. but now its really a sinking ship and sinking fast. i wonder what the board of directors a doing ? N9 sold better than 2 lumia phones. even with much higher price tag and with a little advertising campaign compared to Lumia phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post: