Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
A few days ago, I contacted the developer of the N900 injection driver, to ask him about the possibility of him developing an injection driver for the N9(50).

My questions and his reply (quoted in part - I asked some other stuff, but it wasn't as relevant), posted with his permission:
> Is there a possibility that, if enough donation money could be raised
> by donations from the users of Nokia N9 and Nokia N950 devices, you could create
> an injection-capable driver for the N9/N950 as well?

Yes, there is a small possibility. Nevertheless I can't say yet if and when I
have time for doing this, because I am currently working at some other big projects.

> How much do you think this would cost?

First, I would need a development device, which I can access directly (remote is
not enough in this case as I also need to change the environment around the
phone for initial testing and have to reboot it multiple times). I haven't had
any special information about the firmware for wl1251 and used try/error to find
a way for packet injection. (The firmware doesn't have a specific mode for
injection, only for monitoring which doesn't allow injection).
I don't know which chip is used in N9(50), but I think (hope) it is an wl1271.
If it is so, then it may be possible to achieve injection in a similar way, but
on the other side they also could have rewritten the firmware completely.
If it works in a similar way, then developing the patches shouldn't be that
hard, but getting the patches in the official kernel or distributing them
somehow else is another topic.
Summing up, if you can provide me a development device (which I can keep for
myself after doing successful work) and the firmware works in a similar way,
then I don't require some extra payment. I can produce patches against any
(single) kernel you like, but I don't want to be in charge for further
distribution or porting to newer kernel versions.

Most likely I will not have time for the driver before end of January next year,
but that also depends on how much work I have to do for university.
So, my take-away from this conversation is that, assuming the wifi firmware is similar, the community just needs to provide him with a development device that he can keep, and once he has the time, he'll see what he can do about getting injection working.

Someone else will have to do the busywork afterwards of figuring out how to distribute the injection driver in a way most convenient to end users, and of porting the injection patches to newer/other kernel versions, but that should be fairly easy to do (after all that's how the situation developed on the N900 - after a few versions, the injection driver support was integrated into the power-kernel, and then after a while longer, the injection driver itself was packaged into the repositories).

I imagine that amongst all of the N9/N950 users who'd like to see their devices have injection driver capacity, there's enough motivation to get him a device to develop on. Now, personally, I have yet to acquire either an N9 or an N950 for myself, so the extent of my contribution to this is just getting this conversation started, since it seems no one else has thought to do so.

I'll be linking him to this thread, so if he wants to comment/clarify/correct, he can do so.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
The N9 chip is wl1271.
Injection module should not really be that difficult. Why don't you build it yourself as you need it? (might be a nice learning experience )

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The N9 chip is wl1271.
Injection module should not really be that difficult. Why don't you build it yourself as you need it? (might be a nice learning experience )
Because Mentalist, as I know him don't need it for him personallay. He asked it for the rest of the community, the N9/50 users might be interested. They only have to donate an devel device

Also it would be easier for lxp as he already has some experience with the wl1251 Mentalist would have to start from scratch, in terms of experience with building drivers.

Note: This is my view on *his* motivation
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
The N9 chip is wl1271.
Yes, I am aware, and - I think - so is the developer of the N900 injection driver. Which is why it's fairly likely that the method of getting the injection driver is going to be similar. But like lxp said in the quoted text - they might have changed something and made it require a completely different approach.

I don't have an N9 or N950 either. I've considered trying (once I had an N9 or N950). And I still might, if I had the time, look into it. But the level of my programming skills is probably nothing in comparison to the level of lxp's. And given that lxp DID produce an injection driver for the N900, I feel it's reasonable for people to chip in to getting him a device to develop on. But I couldn't in good conscience ask to community to do the same for me, since the likelihood of me succeeding is vastly smaller.

Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Because Mentalist, as I know him don't need it for him personallay. He asked it for the rest of the community, the N9/50 users might be interested. They only have to donate an devel device

Also it would be easier for lxp as he already has some experience with the wl1251 Mentalist would have to start from scratch, in terms of experience with building drivers.

Note: This is my view on *his* motivation
More or less correct.

Now, I like the idea of having packet injection capabilities on all devices simply because it feels to me like a logical extension of user freedom. So, purely on principle, I'd like to see injection-capable drivers on everything.

But since my device is an N900, I am not directly impacted by the lack of an injection driver on the N9 or N950. Still, I know a lot of people wanted an injection driver, and near as I could tell, no one was making headway into doing it (of course, someone could be working on it in the sidelines, not wanting to announce anything until they have a working driver ready), and no one had thought to (or knew how to) contact the developer of the N900 injection driver. So I figured, hey, why not ask him and see what he says about the possibility of him producing the driver for the N9/N950.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
I have N9 and would like to have injection mode on it. But I'm not as reach to afford myself donating a device to the developer alone. But if we have more "donors" we need to get roughly $500. Not so big amount if there is a hundred of us (and even less). And its easy understandable that lxp doesn't want to buy a device for $500 just to help me and other n9 owners who want this mode

Maybe we should create a poll on the subject?

Separate thanks to Mentalist for starting this thread and contacting the developer (lxp)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jberezhnoy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 203 | Thanked: 538 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Colombia
I believe rainisto claimed on irc to have enabled injection on his custom kernel, maybe if we ask him nicely he can share his work

The Following User Says Thank You to munozferna For This Useful Post:
Why not start a kickstarter project?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
I sent Arie my broken n950 since Nokia didn't want it back and he wanted to try and get the sim card fixed, but if it's for injection it doesn't need a sim slot anyways. I wonder if lxp would accept that? Can you ask him? I'll see if by some miracle it's fixed meanwhile.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Yeah the broken n950 is in finland, where is lxp? Can you see if he will accept an n9 also, or does he want an n950?

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
I will donate $200 to his PayPal in order to get this project going. I want airodump-ng and aircrack-ng on my N9 the way it works on N900 from terminal!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jmtronx For This Useful Post: