Originally Posted by aegis View Post
It's just the regular lock screen shot in bright sunlight .
The clock is too left for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
I hope Jolla and Mozilla can work together to get Firefox OS apps running on Sailfish OS because they seem to have quite a few good applications in their marketplace. https://marketplace.firefox.com/
Those are just webapps anyway

The Following User Says Thank You to inffy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
What do you guys use for internet call and instant messaging on your Jolla? I mean native open Sailfish alternative? There is none! And no one is developing it.
You can't say no one is developing it. Someone may, and did for Whatsapp.

In the meantime I use Skype (the only android app I use) or Facebook messenger is desperate.

I'm sure this will improves as the OS matures.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
I hope Jolla and Mozilla can work together to get Firefox OS apps running on Sailfish OS because they seem to have quite a few good applications in their marketplace. https://marketplace.firefox.com/
You can already install Addblock plus so it can't be too difficult to get other apps ported to the sailfish browser?

If there just webapps in HTML5 then Mer already supports that and in turn so does Sailfish

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
What do you guys use for internet call and instant messaging on your Jolla? I mean native open Sailfish alternative? There is none! And no one is developing it.
I wouldn't say that at all.

There is rudimentary SIP support in the OS but no GUI. Jolla have already said they've made SIP calls from the command line and it is coming.

https://together.jolla.com/question/...e-integration/

For IM, XMPP has been in the OS since the start.

The problem for both those protocols is that they aren't the easiest to set up and use since there's no heavily marketed 'just install this app' for the technically naive and so Skype and WhatsApp proliferate.

It'd be nice to see a push from Jolla to make these services much simpler to use and persuade people why they should be using them instead of closed commercial apps.

I use SIP on my N9 and previous Nokias for internet calls, it works great for me. I'm not really a big IM user as for me it's too much of an interruption and I'd rather people rang me if it was important than bombard me with thoughtless IMs.

Still, if someone can point me at getting up and running with XMPP with my own server then I might give it a go again. I've 8 CloudLinux/CentOS webservers with spare capacity to play with. ;-)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
You are right. My bad. Let's kill him...
Dang! I'm not messin' with this dude!

Last edited by mscion; 2014-02-27 at 14:41.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
You can already install Addblock plus so it can't be too difficult to get other apps ported to the sailfish browser?
I wish it was that simple The browser and web technologies we have on our devices isn't the same as what Firefox OS has. Jolla just open sourced the browser so hopefully that can speed up work towards cross compatibility.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Guys. All people both here and in the real isn't developers. I don't think Jolla benefits\approves from your answers. Personally I would rather see a nicer answer. After all, this is the user experience thread and experience and exceptions are always different between people.
Actually I did mean my answer to be nice.

It's no excuse saying "I'm not a developer, boohooo", nowdays developing SW for mobile devices has been made so easy it is a a lousy excuse (especially for QT'ish devices, but same goes for almost anything).

For example, making an application for your favourite SIP call / messaging; More or less, it's just making a nice UI and using an available open-source backend library for the actual heavy lifting.

You only get into difficulties if there is no open source backend code to use, then you need to reverse-engineer it which might slow you down a bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
The clock is too left for that.
Without the clear black display....

Tags
"soon", "sooner", "when?"