Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think it's easier than ever to invent because of prior inventions. Think back to ages ago when something like Jethro Tull's seed drill was one of the most advanced instruments available. Once people became aware of it they would be stimulated into imagining other products they might not otherwise have conceived. Not only that, but the advent of controlled large-scale agriculture itself freed people up to invent and introduced many to the mere opportunity ("aye, if only there was now a better plow...").

What's more difficult now, I would wager, are the major breakthrough type inventions. But little things that make life easier or more interesting? Yeah, I think they're conceived more and more frequently... and technology is certainly an enabler and stimulator.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Not sure if you can measure technological progress or inventions through the number of patents. Patents reflect business models, and not science or technology per se. How many patents do linux developers have compared to Microsoft, Apple, etc ? Does that mean Linux developers do not invent or employ technologically advanced ideas ?

Originally Posted by mullf View Post
FYI, it is not uncommon for patents to be filed based on a scientist's or engineer's work that is about to be published/presented at a conference. Universities make big money on licensing agreements.
True. When there's actually a product coming from it. So I guess the distinction is between the idea and the actual product?

I don't know if "rarely" is a fair characterization. What percentage of patents actually get invalidated?
That's actually a good question. I'll have to ask her about it.

attila77, that's a good question. And often some patents/copyrights/trademarks get filed simply for defensive reasons. That happened to Linux (someone took it to the office, got it, and started suing everyone for using the word Linux [or was it specifically Linux?]). It took a court case to return the patent/copyright/trademark (I forget what it was) to Torvalds and he later donated it to the Linux foundation.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I think it's easier than ever to invent because of prior inventions.
and also more people with higher educations, and more information available in general (edison never had any real education, but was interested in experimenting).

I think it's easier than ever to invent because of prior inventions.
That's been true throughout history. It's the rule of progressive advancement. IE, you can't build one thing until something else has been created or certain knowledge has been gained. Each item that's created relies on something else already having been created or learned prior to it's own invention. Take a look at the PC world. We wouldn't have the processors we have today if the other slower, older processors hadn't been invented before them.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Thanks, LR, that's what I was alluding to.

You're welcome.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
What's more difficult now, I would wager, are the major breakthrough type inventions. But little things that make life easier or more interesting? Yeah, I think they're conceived more and more frequently... and technology is certainly an enabler and stimulator.
Yes (except pharmaceuticals), you don't get silos of independent development anymore with a breakthrough after years of work. Everyone is driven to file patents as incremental inventions come along, which means that the technology gets revealed when published, which means that the next invention is only an incremental advance over what was published before, and so on.

Nice blog post on patent myths, btw.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
I've heard of some corporation patenting human genes, so actually somebody may have patented YOU
Nonsense. Human beings are not patentable in the United States.
True, in the US.

But in Soviet Russia, multitouch patents YOU!

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

Tags
multitouch, patent