Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
I don't know how else to say this...

MAEMO IS DEAD!!! There is no Maemo 2.0.
They called Maemo 2.0 OS2006.

There is no Maemo 6.0

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descalzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Why support something that has been end of lifed and is barely on life support? Blame Nokia, not Adobe.
So what about Symbian ? BlackBerry ? Are those EOL-d and on life-support ? Just 'cause Adobe said Flash will be available to those too when Apple shut them out. Fast forward to today - Adobe resumes work on tools for iOS and these other OS-es (not to mention webOS and MeeGo) still don't have Flash done by Adobe. There is just one pair of pants they want to get into, everybody else is just collateral or a rebound affair.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
They called Maemo 2.0 OS2006.

There is no Maemo 6.0
Haha, of course. Brain hiccup. I'd blame that on Nokia too but can't think of anything clever.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
So what about Symbian ? BlackBerry ? Are those EOL-d and on life-support ? Just 'cause Adobe said Flash will be available to those too when Apple shut them out. Fast forward to today - Adobe resumes work on tools for iOS and these other OS-es (not to mention webOS and MeeGo) still don't have Flash done by Adobe. There is just one pair of pants they want to get into, everybody else is just collateral or a rebound affair.
I totally misread your reply. You're right. They only care about Apple. Apple is the market leader and right now they're the ones setting the trends. If your job was to make money for Adobe which platform would you choose? iOS or Symbian / Blackberry?

Last edited by geohsia; 2010-09-15 at 06:27.

Then on my main developer conference I wouldn't demo a version of Flash that doesn't yet exist on a platform that I don't intend on supporting in any shape or form.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Then on my main developer conference I wouldn't demo a version of Flash that doesn't yet exist on a platform that I don't intend on supporting in any shape or form.
True, but let's be fair. They aren't responsible for killing MAEMO. Maybe when they did the demo they thought it would live to a ripe old age. If Nokia isn't adding to MAEMO why would Adobe?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
What pisses me off is that we don't even get security updates to software. A recent Flash vulnerability has been patched, and a new one is going to be patched within 2 weeks according to Adobe. Firefox and Gecko have received lots of patches. It isn't hard to backport these patches. Distributions like Debian do this. Linux users complain about the security of Microsoft Windows machines yet our very N900 running stock Maemo is vulnerable to remote vulnerabilities. Security by obscurity pur sang. I have noticed Nokia does similar to Symbian OS. Again, I am not asking about new features, I am demanding security and reliability updates to the official firmware because I believe I, as customer, am entitled to them until at least 2 years after my purchase. I'm going to contact my lawyer about this btw.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland@Turku
I haven't paid much attention to this but lately I have stumbled across more and more sites where the N900 flashplayer won't do.
So today I saw that the new E7 has a Flashlite player. According to Nokia this will play almost all Flash content. Could it be a possibility to have that version installed on the N900?
Really strange how Nokia can abandon N900 just like that.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
What pisses me off is that we don't even get security updates to software. A recent Flash vulnerability has been patched, and a new one is going to be patched within 2 weeks according to Adobe. Firefox and Gecko have received lots of patches. It isn't hard to backport these patches. Distributions like Debian do this. Linux users complain about the security of Microsoft Windows machines yet our very N900 running stock Maemo is vulnerable to remote vulnerabilities. Security by obscurity pur sang. I have noticed Nokia does similar to Symbian OS. Again, I am not asking about new features, I am demanding security and reliability updates to the official firmware because I believe I, as customer, am entitled to them until at least 2 years after my purchase. I'm going to contact my lawyer about this btw.
This, by the by, is one of the BIGGEST reasons why I keep "whining" (as some seem to like labelling it) for MORE open-sourcing and for more updates for my N800. Considering Nokia has COMPLETELY abandoned the 770 and N8x0 owners, we're VERY, very much left out in the "security through obscurity" realm and it's very unpleasant. Especially if you had used these devices as a basis for business or even for personal power-user purposes. Unacceptable for a device supposedly marketing itself high on the "open-source" aspects.

Even if 100% of Maemo would be open source (which I would really really like to see), it wouldn't help this problem, there is one source of plugins - Adobe. No really, enough of this 'we sent the stuff to Nokia'. ONE WEB, ANY DEVICE. That's Adobe's slogan, not Nokia's, Samsung's or whoevers. If you deal with OPEN development, you send the source to gitorious. But apart from this finger-pointing and blame-game, sadly, Adobe does not deal with people. They just don't care about people. They deal with companies, and if the Adobe style 'mah ppl vill kall yo ppl' whos-the-koolest-kid-on-the-block deal falls through, tough luck. You are at their mercy for each and every version. And if you blame the vendor, that only helps them keeping on with this business. Go and ask HTC Hero owners (another device that shipped with Flash 9) how's their full flash update (hint - it's in the same status as ours). Or how's that demonstrated Flash 10.1 for the Palm Pre (do you need a hint about the status of that one ?).

And while I'm talking about other platforms - remember that talk how Flash will be multiplatform and how Flash 10.1 will support blackberry and symbian and webos and.. ? Well, surprise, surprise, Adobe has (yet again) changed their requirements on mobile devices, now it's ONLY Android 2.2 with a Cortex A8 minimum. Everybody else got erased (yes, even MeeGo), public demonstrations on the N900 and Palm Pre be damned. I guess we'll be friends again if the Apple and/or Android thing make a turn for the worse. But enough ranting, everyone can blame whoever they feel bad about at the moment, but considering how Adobe handled Maemo, MeeGo, Linux (esp 64bit), WebOS (and the list goes on) the day when we don't need to depend on somebody's whim (=binary blobs) just to be able visit a bloody web site can't come soon enough.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update