Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by DavyP View Post
I actually had some fun disassembling the device. I bought a new digitizer to replace the scratched screen at Tmart.com for 8 EUR, but unfortunately it is missing the metal frame at the back with the 6 screw holes and I cannot seem to separate the metal frame from the original one. Should anyone have some tips where to buy this instead, they are most welcome :-).
Davy
First things first, thanks so much for everything.
We have whatever phone parts you can imagine on sell in China. I had fun changing my n900 screen once. And digitizer plus frame like this (titled"original n900 outer screen", price is 85CNY, roughly 8 euro) can be easily bought and mostly reliable (I can't guarantee they are 100% original though). If you have friends traveling in china, I can send them the part. Sending by mail is also possible but might be slow and a bit expensive.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@DavyP

OK, buffer synchronization added, the results(same conditions as in previous runs):

JBenchmark - 3400

JBenchmark2:
landscape - 1002
portrait - 920

After all there WERE multiple repaint events coalesced into a single one for JBenchmark , anyway, everything is fine now. What I did not expect is higher result for JBenchmark2

Later today I will try to upload cvm code on gitorious, so you can look into it and run the benchmarks on your own if you wish. Just have in mind that my libcvm is compiled with -mvfp, -mcortex-a8 and export CVM_ARM_HAS_WMMX=true, so your result might be a little bit lower because of missing those optimizations . I suspect my cvm won't work correctly on Harmattan (as I removed pixmap rotation), but that could be easily fixed by using appropriate #ifdefs

I wonder if using QML or GLES will speed rendering. But as for now a speedup of 16% for landscape and 21% for portrait seems enough.

Last edited by freemangordon; 2012-03-30 at 09:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Unrelated to the technical discussion but relevant for Opera Mini users.. I'm curious to see if others are having the same problem.

As of last night Opera Mini v6.5 stopped downloading pages. Network test showed I had a working connection on WiFi or 2G.
I had a look around for other versions to try, found the official OM v4.4 - same issue since it is a new browser.

I tried downloading the Handler versions so I could try different servers or direct to the OM4 servers instead - still won't work since it detects the version of Mini you are running.

Only working versions at the moment are v4.2, and V5 (which I am using for the moment).

EDIT: V6 is working

Last edited by [DarkGUNMAN]; 2012-03-30 at 14:37.

Originally Posted by [DarkGUNMAN] View Post
Unrelated to the technical discussion but relevant for Opera Mini users.. I'm curious to see if others are having the same problem.

As of last night Opera Mini v6.5 stopped downloading pages. Network test showed I had a working connection on WiFi or 2G.
I had a look around for other versions to try, found the official OM v4.4 - same issue since it is a new browser.

I tried downloading the Handler versions so I could try different servers or direct to the OM4 servers instead - still won't work since it detects the version of Mini you are running.

Only working versions at the moment are v4.2, and V5 (which I am using for the moment).

EDIT: V6 is working
I have no problem with Opera Mini 6.5.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 603 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@DavyP

OK, buffer synchronization added, the results(same conditions as in previous runs):

JBenchmark - 3400

JBenchmark2:
landscape - 1002
portrait - 920

After all there WERE multiple repaint events coalesced into a single one for JBenchmark , anyway, everything is fine now. What I did not expect is higher result for JBenchmark2

Later today I will try to upload cvm code on gitorious, so you can look into it and run the benchmarks on your own if you wish. Just have in mind that my libcvm is compiled with -mvfp, -mcortex-a8 and export CVM_ARM_HAS_WMMX=true, so your result might be a little bit lower because of missing those optimizations . I suspect my cvm won't work correctly on Harmattan (as I removed pixmap rotation), but that could be easily fixed by using appropriate #ifdefs

I wonder if using QML or GLES will speed rendering. But as for now a speedup of 16% for landscape and 21% for portrait seems enough.
Which cross-compiler are you using?

/scratchbox/compilers/cs2007q3-glibc2.5-arm7/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc does not like the -mvfp -mcortex-a8 command
line options.

Davy

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Which cross-compiler are you using?

/scratchbox/compilers/cs2007q3-glibc2.5-arm7/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc does not like the -mvfp -mcortex-a8 command
line options.

Davy
Yep, the same. Find attached my build scripts.

Going to upload cvm sources on gitorious.

EDIT:

cvm sources here
Attached Files
File Type: zip phoneme_build.zip (3.3 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by freemangordon; 2012-04-01 at 20:39.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Hungary
I have not changed anything w.r.t to the N9 implementation.
On the N9 emulator, the midlets also start in landscape mode
when the device is positioned in portrait mode.
I cannot test auto-rotate with the emulator, though if I remember
correctly, some people claimed auto-rotation worked for them (I
might be wrong).

I presume you have the same issue with other midlets beyond
Opera Mini (e.g. microemu-demo)?

The only easy fix I can think of is adding another entry in the
midlet settings that would rotate the midlet in the other direction.

Davy
I have the same issue, but a few release back, Opera Mini start in portrait mode and you can choose landscape mode on the settings. Unfortunately I don't remember, what was the last release, the OM works great (except auto-rotation).

Thanks for your work.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 603 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by Arthuro_Adam View Post
I have the same issue, but a few release back, Opera Mini start in portrait mode and you can choose landscape mode on the settings. Unfortunately I don't remember, what was the last release, the OM works great (except auto-rotation).

Thanks for your work.
If you are willing to try which build worked for you before, I can
have a shot at figuring out which change broke portrait mode for
Opera Mini. Here you can find some old builds:

http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/public/maemo/deb/

Also, since installation settings of Opera Mini remain after
reinstalling a different deb, it might be a good idea to clean the
/opt/phoneme directory.

Davy

The Following User Says Thank You to DavyP For This Useful Post:
If you are willing to try which build worked for you before, I can
have a shot at figuring out which change broke portrait mode for
Opera Mini. Here you can find some old builds:

http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/public/maemo/deb/

Also, since installation settings of Opera Mini remain after
reinstalling a different deb, it might be a good idea to clean the
/opt/phoneme directory.

Davy
Ok, today I will test it.

I tested it. The march 7 release had good Opera Mini orientation, but the march 8 had not.

I check the march 7 release. Sound was good, but didn't find the location.jad to check the GPS.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arthuro_Adam For This Useful Post: