Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Ask the kernel-power developers why KP is still based on 2.6.28 instead of 3.x! Then you'll know why. To make it short: The binary blobs needed to run the hardware are only available for the 2.6.28 ABI and since they are closed source they can't even be recompiled for newer kernels.
I find this quite interesting (not a developer personally) if we were able to base KP on 3.x what difference to the end-user would it make ?

Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
im too new to linux maybe thats y i asked dis dumb **** question here. im sorry for all

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
that's not a dumb question at all, there are efforts to that direction and they were mentioned by Andre Klapper in the previous page. It's just that the people that are devoiting their precious time for these developments are getting more and more annoyed by the obstacles Nokia has put them and that's why you'll see angry responses to these kinds of threads. It's only logical.

Check out Mer-Nemo and CSSU anyway

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Firminator View Post
I find this quite interesting (not a developer personally) if we were able to base KP on 3.x what difference to the end-user would it make ?
disclaimer:
I'm not a KP developer, so what I'm about to say may not be correct.

Only basing KP on a newer kernel version wouldn't change a lot for the end user. In fact I think he wouldn't notice it at all. But being able to move to a recent kernel would change 2 things:
1. KP developers wouldn't have to backport new features or security patches to 2.6.28. Instead they could just use the vanilla kernel or some distribution kernel and had lots of spare time for other cool things because they wouldn't have to do things again which was already done by others.
2. For KP to be upgradeable to an arbitrary newer kernel version would require the binary blobs to be open source. That means a skilled KP developer could examine and judge all the possible consequences a kernel upgrade would bring. As a result the whole free userland of Maemo could be upgraded to newer versions bit by bit and the proprietary elements could be replaced with potentially better open source equivalents because with a completely open kernel we had access to all the interfaces and there were no more blocking dependencies.

I believe that a completely free Maemo would be part of the Debian distribution by now (or at least an unofficial project), minimizing the effort necessary to upgrade the system. Easy Debian would be needless because everything Easy Debian does would be possible in Maemo natively. It would even save resources (mostly RAM). Any project that deals with making some software work on a Maemo device would save a lot of work because (assuming they are already part of Debian) all they had to do would be to check if their GUI is useable on the device.

I'm not a fan of Android at all, but for those who think differently: If Maemo was completely open source porting Android to Maemo devices (including phone support) would be much easier.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
As Sulu said, it is a hack-job pile of shít that barely runs. It could be so easy to fix if Nokia were not such a shower of cnuts.

Things to fix that we cannot because Nokia are a bunch of short sighted rétards:

1. The freaking kernel. Jesus christ, Give us the GOD DAMNED SOURCES for those stupid closed bits? What does it cost you? Just dump a tarball on megaupload or whatever, we will take it from there.

2. The file system. What brain dead mongoloid half spazz chimp thought breaking the file system across two discs was a good idea? Now we have /usr/ on the NAND and have to 'optify' everything!

3. BME/MCE. FúCCCCCKKKK OFFFFFF.

4. Monolithic firmware updates. WHY U NO UPDATE PACKAGES LIEK DEBIAN???

5. Half ássed debian look a-like. Just base on debian fo' reals. Then we would not be in this obsolete hell.

6. Busybox & no man pages. WTF? why? We have over 32GB of storage, how much space did you REALLY save with this horse shít? I bet the stupid '9' trailer video and lame music that came on the eMMC take up more space than GNU utils proper.

nokiAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGRGGGGGGHHH.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
1. The freaking kernel. Jesus christ, Give us the GOD DAMNED SOURCES for those stupid closed bits? What does it cost you? Just dump a tarball on megaupload or whatever, we will take it from there.
I guess this is much more complicated than you think. I don't think Nokia owns the intellectual property rights to release the source code. For some of it I don't think they even have the sources.
I still wonder if there was a developer in the early days of Maemo who went crazy when he heard that the mobile OS they were designing based on a Linux distro which is almost RMS-approved would be full of proprietary stuff.

6. Busybox & no man pages. WTF? why? We have over 32GB of storage, how much space did you REALLY save with this horse shít?
Well, busybox is not bad per say. Yes, it's limited but I think it suffices for most of the Maemo users. And since it's not that hard to replace it with a more powerful shell. I think that's ok.
But I agree with you about the man pages. Somebody once told me that he considers packages without manpages to be broken. I tend to agree. I see why Nokia might have left them out of their packages. But I don't see why they don't offer an infrastructure to install them manually.

btw:
Has anybody ever tried to upgrade pulseaudio to something >0.9.16?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

Are you referring to drivers or some separate part of the kernel here? What exactly do you want? And does it have to be opened under GPL?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Nokia are a bunch of short sighted rétards:

1.Give us the GOD DAMNED SOURCES for those stupid closed bits? What does it cost you? Just dump a tarball on megaupload

2. What brain dead mongoloid half spazz chimp thought breaking the file system across two discs was a good idea?

nokiAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGRGGGGGGHHH.
ur th Hero Dude....

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-03-26 at 12:17.

Maemo is like having the best cake in the world plonked in front of your face only to realise you don't actually have a mouth to eat it with, some of the Devs here have managed to get the cake shoved in every other orriface so we can have a small taste but is just not the same

Used my other halfs android last night, she is running ICS. All I wanted to do was run a DI.FM stream but there was like zero multi tasking!?!?! WTF!

So many minor bugs on the N900 cause me sooo much frustration! Seriously Nokia just accidentaly give us all the source so we can fix. 2 years no and it takes me forever to open an email, AAaaaargh!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spotfist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
6. Busybox & no man pages. WTF? why? We have over 32GB of storage, how much space did you REALLY save with this horse shít? I bet the stupid '9' trailer video and lame music that came on the eMMC take up more space than GNU utils proper.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/man-pages/

A whole megabyte is, erhm, quite a bit for a Nokian.. And hey, it's a crippled Busybox, Be nice to the challenged and disabled, haven't you learnt? :P

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, not again!!, waaaahmbulance