Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey all.

What's the best way to go about reading books on the tablet?

Which is better, .pdf or .chm format?

Also, much like how the quality of audio is mostly dependent upon kbps, is there some kind of high standard for books as well or are they all basically the same?

Which application would be the best book reader?

Finally, for following along using an audio book, what's the best way for this as well?

Downloading the audio from a paid web site? Just ripping the CDs from my local library? Torrents? etc...

I'm looking to get in to some Stephen King.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
What's the best way to go about reading books on the tablet?

Which is better, .pdf or .chm format?
FBreader and whichever formats it supports. Mobi is generally quite light, chm should be too though I don't have any of those. Epub is a bit heavier but workable.

PDF support (osso-pdf-viewer) is slightly better with CSSU, but still rather poor so I'd leave it as a last resort.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
So that tablet also supports .mobi files?

I didn't know that.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
So that tablet also supports .mobi files?
FBreader does (but beware of DRM!)

It's not perfect, but can be quite nice in portrait mode using the hardware zoom buttons to turn pages :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Okay, thanks!

I was first looking for Skeleton Crew.

I found one that was 180kb in .pdf and another that was 3 megs, also in .pdf.

To get the best quality though, would I just purchase it from Amazon or some other site?

There seems to be so many choices on this.

Unfortunately that book doesn't seem to be available (legitimately) in a non-DRM format :-( There is software out there that can remove DRM from the files once you've purchased them, but I've no experience with that and it might not even be legal where you live.

(Amazon is even worse in that they use their own proprietary format that only works with their own readers and apps).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Thanks!

I was just about to purchase it too.

I think i get my FBReader books from Project Gutenberg, so of course they are public domain. However, I could never get rotated reading to work properly. If anyone has this working well, I'd be interested to hear your settings.

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
If you can find or convert something to .chm, that also doesn't have graphs, pictures, tables, images, etc., KchmViewer is definitely the best there is.

You can keep increasing the font and it will reformat the document to fit the size of the tablet.

*zoomed in twice*

So no weird scrolling left and right, and the kinetic scrolling works perfect going up and down.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
(Amazon is even worse in that they use their own proprietary format that only works with their own readers and apps).
For what it's worth, I have bought books from Amazon and converted them to an open drm free standard to view on my Sony PRS reader, so it is possible to convert if it is legal where you live. If you plan on doing this Addison then let me know and I can point you to the tools to do it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post: