Active Topics

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Hi there all.

Im an owner of low-end tablet, it's MyTab 7 (Specs below). I believe it is polish production.

Natively MyTab works under control of Android 4 which really slowing him down and giving almost 0, oh Im sorry, giving literally nothing to make this device run faster, and still without mentioning that mentioned os wasn't even optimized for this device.

So here are the MyTab 7 specs:

MyTab 7" IPS Screen 800x480
RAM 512MB
Build in memory 4GB
System: Android 4.0.3
Procesor Cortex A8 Dual Core 2x1,2Ghz
Battery giving 5 hours tops of constant using (2800mAh)

I can buy a bunch of those tablets, but it's needs to be at least 100, then cost of one device will reach 60 Polish zlotys (less than 20$). Problem with each one of this device is broken digitizer (cost of one is around 30-40 pln, 10-15$. I can replace them myself, but then cost of one device will reach 100 PLN. You can buy used device for little bigger price in poland, starting from 120PLN. New one cost's 180-240PLN (from 55$ to 80$).

So here's the thing, I want to make some money obviously, so this can bring me some, or I could lose some, its 50/50.

So I was thinking, is there any way to install Maemo/MeeGo OS on this device? Architecture is similar with n900.

If no, maybe different OS? Tizen, Mer, Ubuntu, Firefox?

I need anything linux-based, why? Because I have an idea to upgrade those devices.

First of all,

Need to buy 8GB microSD fast card for each one, but when buying 100 will not be so expensive so it does make sense . This is in need for 2 things:

Boot new OS from microSD, leaving old one (old os, android) where it is, so people can feel the difference, check out for themselves which os working better.

Repartition Built-in memory and SD card for swap space (512mb on each one). Fast SWAP will for sure have good impact on performance.

Also I can buy protective shield for screen, cause original has predispositions to break easly.

CPU Parameters. With open source OS's with right tools it's easy to overclock CPU, also with right knowledge you can speed up CPU significantly, but also reduce power consumption, or at least reach the point when consumption was the sane without OC.

Provide better solutions, as long as we are talking about OpenSource OSes.

If the end price will reach the price of used devices that marked "never fixed" this is all right. (Most of the time it's not true. If the device was never fixed most people will never mention it. If someone says that it's perfectly good, never had any accidents its probably because he is trying hiding the fact it was) If my project will be successful, with right commercial, few yt movies, and anything else that will prove that buying modified device spending few bucks more will give you better device, I can make some money to continue this project and start another one.

Im waiting not only for replies about the os, but open discussion, what do you think about that, what will you change, what will you add? What is in your opinion unnecessary

Last edited by Ridd92; 2015-10-13 at 07:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
The last time I was playing with Android, the tablet I was using was a much lower spec than yours. It ran Android 2.2. Poorly. But there was a Debian image for it. Look around, there might be one for yours.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Megoo? really?..

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The last time I was playing with Android, the tablet I was using was a much lower spec than yours. It ran Android 2.2. Poorly. But there was a Debian image for it. Look around, there might be one for yours.
I wrote this topic cause I couldn't find anything related to this tablet. It's low-low end and not very popular. With this specs and OS it's almost not usable. I believe MEEGO or Maemo is out of game, yes? But, architecture is the same, this is still Cortex ARM, Im aware it's not so easy as it looks, but maybe? I can't do porting myself and for this device it's like porting wash machine OS, to work under stone. Shame, but, any linux OS will allow me to do something with it, if there is such a possibility.

Maybe is there someone who could help me with flashing to another OS? Fact, that I couldn't find different OS image for this device doesn't mean it's not possible I think.

Im not even sure, that multiple OS's for this device is possible, so even replacing android with debian/ubuntu will do the trick.

I starting to think that with little maintenance for such tablet it doesn't make sense, I mean it's milestone to prepare so many devices to work under different OS and so, but still I would like to make only one, mine, to be better and usable, cause another way it's collecting dust, nothing more.

I will just ask, I know that is not android forum, but guys from android help desk often don't know what the're saying. So it's possible to downgrade mentioned tablet to android 2? It should give some performance kick.

Let's be realistic, I don't expect it to be i7 4-core super-powerful machine, but when it will be at least stable I still can prepare it for decent web browsing, video watching, chatting and handle some games like solitaire and give it to my mother

Selling this will be hard, it's easier to buy one, than sell, cause opinion of this device is at least bad, no one who isn't suicidal will buy this peace of poof

So, for the end, simple anyone who was here, please answer shortly few questions:

Should I

1. Keep up to my idea, and trying hard to do something better than stock device?
2. Leave it, break it or what not, to forget it and have some relief.
3. Downgrade it to Android 2? (If this is possible)
4. Do nothing and wait for "out-of-mind" person who will buy it with smile

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Megoo? really?..
Apologies, "Meego" - If admin could correct, please, do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Ridd92 View Post
I wrote this topic cause I couldn't find anything related to this tablet.
Sorry, I did not want to come across harsh or unwelcoming. In my days, I found a forum dedicated to my tablet type and the Debian image was the result of some initiative there. It was a cheap rubbish no-name sold on eBay at the time straight from China, so definitely not a popular affair. Clearly the internet is bigger than one may think.

Apologies, "Meego" - If admin could correct, please, do.
You can do it yourself. Open your first post for editing, scroll up and change the subject.

Addendum:
Porting Maemo to other devices is a popular request but it has not happened yet. The closest is the Neo900 initiative but even that is miles from any tangible results.

I am not sure about Meego. The N9 has twice as much RAM as your tablet. I have no idea if Meego would even fit in something that small.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-10-11 at 08:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I don't want to encourage you the purchase 100 tablets because I don't believe that anyone in Poland would buy them later from you. However, if you want it for yourself then here you go (few minutes of searching). Touchscreen and wi-fi doesn't work but it's a good point to start. Tip for you: allwinner A13 debian
http://forum.cyanmod.pl/index.php/to...5%82adem-a13/#
http://www.manta.info.pl/forum/mid08...-zapowiedz/15/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I am not sure about Meego. The N9 has twice as much RAM as your tablet. I have no idea if Meego would even fit in something that small.
Used Harmattan on N950 Prototype 512MB RAM and I'm quite confident it's way too laggy and insufficient to be useful. Harmattan is not available for porting anyway...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
i forgot details as it was a lil while back but you can check uberoid because it seriously helped my cheap chineese tablet transform to an i7 machine.
thats all

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Isn't there irony that none of these "open" operating systems are available for porting with the UI intact?

With that said, why not use Nemo instead?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
alternative, device, mytab7, system, upgrade, ~fptf