Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by range View Post
Although I'm not really seeing intel CPUs on the direct roadmap, which could be used in phones (even Atom uses much too much energy).

So that might be even a step further (or I oversaw some mobile processor announcements from Intel).
They certainly were not talking about today's Atoms, not even Pineview, but likely Medfield (which is supposed to have a phone/mid edition, and has a scheduled appearance for late 2010). But, all of this is far-far future and ARM/TI is sure to bring some goodies to the table in the meantime as well

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Too late for what?
The phone is apparently going to start shipping on October 1st, so if Harmattan support is important to you, whatever is said on the Maemo Summit is too late.

I already have the device pre-ordered, and I'd like to know these things beforehand.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by togashi View Post
The phone is apparently going to start shipping on October 1st, so if Harmattan support is important to you, whatever is said on the Maemo Summit is too late.

I already have the device pre-ordered, and I'd like to know these things beforehand.
It would certainly be nice to have a more detailed roadmap. Just not likely.

Moral: don't predicate your purchases on unknowns. Buy what meets your needs and don't sweat the rest.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-09-07 at 03:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It would certainly be nice to have a more detailed roadmap. Just not likely.

Moral: don't predicate your purchases on unknowns. Buy what meets your needs amd don't sweat the rest.
Well, I did pre-order the device, you know

It's really just curiosity. Seeing how maemo 6 will probably include more cool stuff which would be nice to have.
Anyway, the community is probably going add A LOT more value to it with cool apps and I hope to contribute as much as possible, too. Being nearly a full blown computer I hope we'll have enough flexibility to add any features Nokia decides not to backport.

Whether or not nokia supports maemo 6 on N900 it should be easier to backport compared to maemo 5 and n770/n800 .

I'd guess the successor of the N900 will have 512 MB RAM and 1Ghz CPU.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
...i hear about Maemo 6 coming in a year...
And Maemo 7 should be coming about a year after that.

I love not helping.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York
Well they really need to make a plan for something like this i mean android have updates OTA so you don't' really have to change your device in a sense only reason would be is hardware limitation hence G1 and donut debate. Maemo should use the same methods people can't keep coughing up 700+ dollars every year.

Sounds like something Apple would do hence there 1 year iphone deal (upgrading it every may) only difference is its subsidized so unless they subsidize the n900 i think that will be kind of foul.

The Following User Says Thank You to mykenyc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
And Maemo 7 should be coming about a year after that.
My God-- EVERYTHING I'VE BOUGHT WILL BE OBSOLETE!!!

Gadsby's not the only turd around here.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by mykenyc View Post
...android have updates OTA so you don't' really have to change your device...Maemo should use the same methods people can't keep coughing up 700+ dollars every year.
Nokia has already stated that the N900 will be capable of OTA updates. The only real question about updates is will the N900 get not only normal updates but fully upgraded from Maemo 5 to v6 when it comes out in a year or so. From what I've heard so far that has maybe a 50-50 chance of happening.

If so no doubt that would be nice, but it's probably not critical to a N900 being useful for at least a couple of years. Didn't stop me from pre-ordering a N900. There's always something better just round the corner anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
The only real question about updates is will the N900 get not only normal updates but fully upgraded from Maemo 5 to v6 when it comes out in a year or so. From what I've heard so far that has maybe a 50-50 chance of happening.
Both the timeframe for Harmattan and its likelihood of being released on N900 hardware are complete conjecture and speculation at this point.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade