Active Topics

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I have been searching the web and have yet to find an answer, so I thought I would ask for a canonical answer here. Will Maemo5 and its cool new interface run on The N8x0 series devices? I have seen several talks expounding on the support for new hardware, 3g compatibility, and so forth, which implies to me that Nokia is supporting their yet-unseen new N9xx series. But a few implications, such as its scheduled release date of April, 2009 (this month) tells me that they *are* going to support at least some of the older hardware.

Can anyone who has played with the OS tell me? Is there a cool new updated UI in my future?

Thanks,
--vr

The Following User Says Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Maemo 5 will not run on N810. You will want to take a look at Mer.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Yeah, Mer is gonna fill in for Diablo as the primary OS in the future since little if anything will be done anymore for the current Maemo 4x tree.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
I have been searching the web and have yet to find an answer, so I thought I would ask for a canonical answer here. Will Maemo5 and its cool new interface run on The N8x0 series devices?
Hi, canonical answers about Maemo 5 can be found in the Fremantle roadmap and related announcements at maemo.org.

The answer to your question is here:

First Maemo 5 SDK release targeting platform developers

Maemo 5 comes today as an SDK only since it targets the OMAP3 architecture and no OMAP2 compatibility will be officially provided. The revamped UI relying on graphics acceleration and the new functionality built around the new supported hardware made it too complex to keep the compatibility between both architectures.

This early release comes with an invitation to build variants based on Maemo 5 compatible with existing hardware like the N800 and N810. Maemo SW can't promise commercial quality for such configurations but through maemo.org we are able to collaborate at a community level with technical support, license changes and code.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
hey what the fu(k, I just got an n810, because they came down enuff that I didint have to sell any organs, and after a pretty good trackrecord of back-compat. is it that much different?
Meaning so different that a "port of sorts(full or otherwise)"(ie 08 for the n770)
Is the 810 wimax gonna have a cersion or not, that device is a bit new to drop support on it like its a hot potato with ebola

I was thought the 810 wimax just added the wimax and hence the lack of a model# you'd think that they would be very similar

but her I dont know nuthin, im no coder I can barely edit *nix scripts so Im just looking at the whole thing from the outside in (like most of the consumers)

when will these companies learn backwards compatibility, keeps customers happy, and dropping support pisses off the world and promotes piracy as people feel entitled to the software if the hardware they own is capable to run....

is this new release so different?

bhang

Last edited by bhang; 2009-04-19 at 15:48.

sounds like nokia thinks its possible, but they just want to focus on new products, I have an n800 and a brand new n810(that I shoulda read more about before ordering) and an n800 that I bought cause it seemed that nokia was doin sumthin innovative and I like gadgets, especially *nix gadgets.

I think they have decided leaving the gsm and 3g out was a mistake and now they want to forget the less connected bastard stepchildren...

about5-10 years ago didn't they tell us WIFI would cover the world for free and we would live in this connected utopia, well some cities have tried but you can almost never get a viable connect to them, unless your standing real close to the AP, so gsm/3g/hspda/wcdma is filling the whole left by the wifi pipe dream...

Now with the spectrum that TV will give us (if they ever get around to cut off analog) the FCC has decided to give us back the "peoples airwaves" and this will give bandwidth at a freq that penetrates structures much better than the cordless telephone freq our wifi AP run on...google it its a promising read.

bhang

how did that make 2 posts I thought I was editing my last post, sorry, im gonna just read till I get more java in me...

Last edited by bhang; 2009-04-19 at 15:49. Reason: cause im an idiot

Originally Posted by bhang View Post
...and we would live in this connected utopia
Well, if your avatar is this connected utopia you speak of, count me in.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Note that as the UI Overview states, only the framework is using an OpenGL context. Most if not all applications should run just fine on N810, as long as Mer provides an adequate non-accelerated framework.

Is it possible to compile libraries and applications for http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo5.0beta/free/ and use its with diablo nokia binaries on n810?

Last edited by svs57; 2009-05-04 at 12:15.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by svs57 View Post
Is it possible to compile libraries and applications for http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo5.0beta/free/ and use its with diablo nokia binaries on n810?
As with every new version of platform libraries that breaks API I'd say "No, that's not easily doable", and as written the Mer project tries to do this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:

Tags
770, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, n800, n810, os2008, upgrade