Active Topics

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
my laptop is currently running on windows vista.. and its kinda slow and really needs reformatting.. i want to reformat it and change the OS to win 7... i checked amazon.com to look for software but i saw 2 kind of win7 OS.. the "upgrade" one and the "full version" one... which one should i buy to completely reformat my laptop and change the OS?.

Well if it's a laptop bought recently it likely comes with a recovery partition rather than a recovery disk (Microsoft stopped issuing them).

So I would get a upgrade disc, use the recovery partition to wipe your laptop to a clean slate (To get the reformating effect), then use the upgrade disc.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

pass on both, buy oem.
32bit is for 3gb of ram or less

http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewPro...-752-_-Product

64bit for more than 3gb ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewPro...-754-_-Product

*Note u may have to buy a piece of hardware with it, go cheap like an sata cable, every vendor is different. These windows versions are for system builders and are FULL versions for the price of an upgrade disc.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You just buy the upgrade version, not the full.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
You just buy the upgrade version, not the full.
whats the difference between the full and upgrade?

upgrade requires u own vista but there is a workaround....google. Full is just what it says, u don't need an operating system before hand. But why? Just buy the oem, which is the full version anyway for the price of an upgrade. Its the kinda dell and hp uses for their pc(s), why pay for an upgrade when u can have full for less?

How can you buy OEM?

Originally Posted by ZXT View Post
How can you buy OEM?
there are links above...

Originally Posted by mas5acre View Post
upgrade requires u own vista but there is a workaround....google. Full is just what it says, u don't need an operating system before hand. But why? Just buy the oem, which is the full version anyway for the price of an upgrade. Its the kinda dell and hp uses for their pc(s), why pay for an upgrade when u can have full for less?
the thing is i got a free upgrade software for the laptop... and i guess it's soon to arrive... so can i do reformatting 1st and then install the OS?..

Tags
format, operating system, reformat, upgrade, upgrade os, upgrade windows, upgrading windows, vista, vista to windows 7, windows, windows 7, windows vista