Active Topics

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
By what I've heard from another thread "Qgil" said that it is may be possible that Maemo 6 might become available for N900 ....
Qgil also said the usb port problem with limited to pre-production devices ...

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
Also, all NOKIA phones cannot upgrade OS.(I mean cross-version upgrade, not just the bug fixing upgrade)
Total BS. For example, the Nokia 5800 now has the new home screen from the 5230 and kinetic scrolling.

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
You're making assumptions. That has not yet been determined.
Well.. In one of the many (yes, I know it's hard to find, as there is so many) threads about this exact same thing.. two well respected members of the community (GeneralAntilles being one) said that at the Barcelona Maemo Summit a Nokia Vice President of one of the departments over the Mobile section said, quite specifically in no unclear terms, that the N900 will not be getting M6.

And to someone else, I have found no where that Qgil said that M6 was possible for the N900... what I have seem him say is that we should wait until the SDK release, or at least more information, about M6 before we speculate what will or won't happen with the N900.

I will be surprised if the N900 receives M6 when a VP said that it would not (and I'm not inclined to disbelieve the General) - however, that doesn't mean that Nokia hasn't planned, or isn't working on some way to combine the two, or make M5 continue to be usable and unique past the M6 release.

At this point, we simply don't know what the future holds for the N900.

Also, to the OP regarding "history"... The N770 came with OS2005 and was then upgraded to OS2006. The N800 shipped with OS2007, and while the 770 wasn't supported, Nokia did create a OS2007HE which was basically OS2007 for the 770. Thus the 770 got 3 full OS upgrades.

Now the N800 had OS2007 out the door, and when the N810 hit the market it had OS2008. The N800 got the update to OS2008 as well... and then both the N810 and N800 got the minor update to Diablo.

So.. looking at the "history"... the 770 got 2 supported, 1 unsupported OS upgrades, the 800 got 2 + a minor, and N810 got a minor.

Now.. the trend does seem to be going in the wrong direction.. but at the same time it's not exactly unheard of for Nokia's "tablets" to be receiving OS upgrades.

This thread, and others like it, are mostly pointless at this time. Nokia is guaranteed to have already heard the screams of others, myself included, in one of the other M6 to N900 threads on this forum.

Quim asked us to wait.. I don't see why that's such a big problem. If lack of N900 upgrades is enough to make you not want an N900... then wait for the m6, or buy an Android. If the N900 does everything you want it to now... then there isn't a problem here. There will always be something better right around the corner.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Could some one like Qgil tell us something about this ?

I think if Qgil make a statement that N900 can upgrade to Maemo 6.

Then the sales of N900 will improve a lot !

Why we cannot see a statement like that now ?

I think it is because that NOKIA deside not to release this upgrade.

PS.
After HTC G3 put into market, HTC official annouce that G3 can

upgrade to Android 2.1. But we have no news from NOKIA after

N900 release about the system upgrade strategy.

Last edited by lanwellon; 2010-02-14 at 09:39.

从m5到m6升级?又不是说m5就不发展了、完善了,m5不也是一直在出新固件的么,别太在意 版本号了。

你最好发到N900板块去,而不是在Competitors板块

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
PS.
After HTC G3 put into market, HTC official annouce that G3 can

upgrade to Android 2.1. But we have no news from NOKIA after

N900 release about the system upgrade strategy.
Maybe they are still considering wether or not to make Maemo 6 available for the N900?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
After HTC G3 put into market, HTC official annouce that G3 can upgrade to Android 2.1. But we have no news from NOKIA after N900 release about the system upgrade strategy.
There's been no news from Apple about whether their new OS will work on older iPhones either. It's very uncommon to announce support before you've actually finished development.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
One of the positive aspects of the "AppStore model" is that it's a new revenue stream for handset manufacturers that their income isn't solely generated by hardware sales. The phones are not the end product, but they become content delivery machines that can keep generating revenues for the AppStore owner.

This is an added incentive for them to:

a). Support the existing phones/devices as long as possible.
b). Upgrade their old handsets to be compatible with the AppStore model, enabling them to generate income from the old models.
c). Design their products to be as backward-forward compatible as possible, while incorporating new features to enhance the new products.

Apple nailed the above aspects well... so I'd say there'll be more iPhone-like traits in future smartphones (including from Nokia).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
One of the positive aspects of the "AppStore model" is that it's a new revenue stream for handset manufacturers that their income isn't solely generated by hardware sales. The phones are not the end product, but they become content delivery machines that can keep generating revenues for the AppStore owner.
Do you suggest that hardware manufacturers would make more money from the small cut they get from a customer buying 5-6 new applications for 4-5 dollars each than they would make if they force you into buying a new $500 handset 6 months earlier than you normally would? I don't believe this makes sense.

Nokia and Apple sell hardware; the apps, stores, open source, is just the bait to make their hardware more attractive. I am sure that when Apple come up with how to change the iPhone (the upgrades we've witnessed are insubstantial compared to what NITs have gone through, for example), they will abandon backwards compatibility.

OTOH, software companies like MS maintain compatibility to an unmatched extent.

Tags
android, apple, firmware, fremantle, harmattan, iphone, maemo, maemo 5, maemo 6, n900, nokia should think, operating system, update, upgrade, versus