Posts: 110 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton
''Not familar with Nokia Image Storer, but what you could do is setup rsync on your computer and N900 (not sure if rsync is available for Windows). SSH might be needed for the connection between your computer and the N900. They will also have to be on the same network unless you configure the ssh tunnel so you can connect to it from a different network (though means you can automatically sync photos away from home if you leave your computer and network on) ''

not being funny, but to me this might as well be written in Chinese.

I would love just one real example of a marketing video for the N900 that ever said it was not meant to be mainstream and was for peope who would understand how to make it work properly
I hear it ll the time on here that we should have done our research. I honestly did, and not once was anything saying to me dont do it love its too technical for you

It came on contract with Vodafone, who I trusted to sell me a phone with additional capabilities not an internet tablet that is rubbish at everyday things but hey you can spent hours modifying it and see if you can make it do something useful, possibly disabling it completely, or just reflash it and use as a controller for your PS 3 or emulate Nintendo games,
Yeah great!

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
I don't disagree with you on the iphone... And yes, there's definitely real multi tasking on the n900, but the functionality of the multitasking is up for debate.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
For those that have lost faith... what exactly would earn your faith and trust again?
Better and faster support? I don't mind being kept in the dark (I know it bothers some people, but not me particularly cos I see why things are kept hush before they are released).

But to say that Nokia has been helpful and doing all they can for the N900 is quite a stretch... But that is a good question which I'm not sure that I have a solid answer for. Opening up Ovi store for more apps could be a good start, no?

Originally Posted by Mengs View Post
I don't disagree with you on the iphone... And yes, there's definitely real multi tasking on the n900, but the functionality of the multitasking is up for debate.
Of course this is not perfect. But it is enough for me, and in my opinion the best "real" option in the market.

Why nobody complains about redicoulous iphone-multitasking? Just unbelievable.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I gotta disagree here. Symbian is still tops in terms of market share, and last I checked... 100 million phones is not anything to scoff at. They've improved their numbers, and Nokia happens to be one of the few phone manufacturers with two prongs into the smartphone market.

Right now, I'd just have to say that Nokia looks a bit unfocused. We don't know all of what's down the pipe 100% - and the requirement of patience for all of it to unfold is a bit much to ask in this impatient world we live in now.
Symbian as a platform was originally designed for mobile phones but from what I can gather (from other people) has had it's day. Symbian is installed on almost all Nokia handsets but as a modern platform is showing it's limitations. Nokia open-sourced symbian but did that too late. It's fine for simple functionality but to compete as a smartphone OS then no not capable.

The key phrase here is smartphone. Loosely, defining smartphone as something along the lines of android & iPhone and the application support around that.

Nokia have failed with this (so far, e.g. N97).

With regards to mobile phones as defined by focused on making mobile calls then Nokia win by volume. Unfortunately these devices range from £20 to about £300 (ish). But also means profit margins on these are probably smaller than something retailing at £400 upwards. Then from a customer perspective iPhone, android & blackberries become more appealing.

As a result the ceiling price for a Nokia phone has been set.

Yep, Nokia lead the way with mobile phones as volume but the market is changing and the customer wants more from mobile devices.

In the smartphone market is seems to be the applications that are driving demand.
Nokia utterly fail to understand this.

Apple and who? RIM is Canadian.
I was thinking about Apple & Google.

Just... we don't know all of it yet.
Very true let's see what happens.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by acano View Post
Why nobody complains about redicoulous iphone-multitasking? Just unbelievable.
Because that's not multi-tasking. That's serial-tasking. No marketing drivel will make me believe otherwise.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by Mengs View Post
You're kidding right? ...

I still see some people arguing about how it was marketed as a computer in your palms and not a phone etc etc! But even as a computer it's not working the way it's supposed to.

You guys are just repeating yourself! I argue that the phone function doesn't work, you counter that it's not supposed to be a phone but a computer. I say the computer function sucks, you tell me that it's a community driven device. It's like every single argument I have for not liking this phone, people have a counter argument ready to go.

Just admit already that Nokia is not putting enough effort into satisfying their N900 users!
I have posted elsewhere that I never bought into the 'internet tablet/it's a computer' excuse, but having used the N900 mainly as a phone I can see where this arguement was coming from:

The N900 mobile phone dials numbers more like you would from a computer than from a conventional phone.

If you need to have conventional speed-dial you need to have physical buttons.A touchscreen powers down /locks out to save battery and touchscreens are too sensitive to be left on all the time anyway. If you need speed dial and single-handed action to (say) dial whilst you're driving N900 is not the best choice - buy a phone with physical buttons.

On just about every touchscreen phone you have to do things to make a call. Typically:
  1. Slide open/power up
  2. Select contacts list
  3. Input letters from name
  4. Select contact
  5. Select the right number
  6. Dial

or at least:

Slide open/power up
Select favourite contacts or dial pad
press and hold conact/speed dial number to dial

On my N900:
  1. Power Up/Slide Open
  2. Input letters from name
  3. Select contact
  4. Tap the right number to dial

or:
  1. Slide open/power up
  2. Select (tap) contact from desktop
  3. tap the right number to dial

What could be easier than that? I can run 30 contacts over three homepages - that's over 60 numbers. The N900 is unbeatable as a telephone, IMO, but perhaps we should start a campaign for telekinetic dialing on PR1.3...

I know some people have issues with accepting calls - that ties in to your second point about develoment and support. I don't think Nokia are any better or any worse than other mfrs in this respect. Go to an iphone, Android or WM forum and see the rants about waiting for updates and missing features generally. We are not alone!

We are getting ongoing support for N900 from Nokia. If you gather tweets like I do you'll notice a week rarely goes by without Nokia releasing updates to older models - some now quite venerable. We have had updates and we know updates are imminent because they have told us. Just what evidence to you have to think N900 will be an exception to this policy?

We also have the added support of this forum and the clever buggers who can write apps and develop the software alongside Nokia.

I don't think you'll get that package elsewhere, but I'm open to any suggestions you might have. Polite ones, of course

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
Everyone I know has an HTC (running winmo 6.5 or android) or an iphone. No one has a nokia, All of work (NHS) have blackberrys. Given my circle of friends are all tech geeks who work in IT and into cutting edge stuff with regards using their phones more than a normal person, I think the fact none of them remotely touch Nokia is damning. One had a N97 for a month but sent it back for lots of reasons.

They make cheap and nasty candy bars for emerging markets, or cheap company phones with limited tech on board, but as smartphones there is little too shout about. So I think they will keep their market share but it won't be a worth while market share, everyone does candy bar phones and the money is in the higher end phones.

Having played with an HTC desire (basically the nexus without google) over the weekend, I am truly saddened at how far android and the android market place have gone in such a short time. 7 screens of loveliness that whooped my N900 phone. Apps to die for. Shows what a company supporting their products can do, to me at least. (and I can't stand google)
I gues it depends on your priorities. For me the speaker, sound quality, camera, real keyboard and TV-OUT are essential. I really want an HTC Desire but it does not meet the mark - mono speaker, poor camera and no TV-OUT. I dont get the apps thing, the N900s browser does it for me. Which app is really 'to die for' ? and what exactly do you need 7 screens for ?. Nokia is not firing on all cylinders but yet they are still far and away the most prevalent and make the best hardware and own the most advanced OS in Maemo. Just wait until the giant wakes up!. None of these phones sound better than my Nokia 5800 which costs considerably less. Nokia will stay on top for at least the next 10 years. Apple will exit once smartphone gets comoditized and margins take a dive.

Check out this article if you care. Peace and happy mobileing to you. .

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news....aspx?pageid=1

Because that's not multi-tasking. That's serial-tasking. No marketing drivel will make me believe otherwise.
May be not you but the most of the people do so.

Is human beeing so simple?

Regards!!

if find all these threads very amusing i must say,
But i also think what is the problem that people seem to have.
A comparison of my N900 with my previous phone the E90 (symbian, a real phone on enterprise level)
The things i did with the E90, ordered in importance:

1> Web Browsing
2> Email
3> SMS (gsm or voip)
4> Phone (gsm or voip)
5> IM (chatting, calling i almost don't do because i use real voip (a betamax client))

The N900 wins 3 those 5 points by a large margin...
1> MicroB is way way better then the browser on the E90
3> SMS better integration with contacts book, conversations that really work (E90 it crashes)
5> IM no need for a separate applicaiton, everything perfectly integrated into contacts, with conversations support.

Then 1 point that i see pretty equal but the N900 could be a bit better:
4> Phone , normal dialing , contacts on desktop, call log, all work fine

only 2 points that should improve:
1> Voice dialing i really mis in my car.
2> It happens now and then that the phone rings but the N900 is busy with something (i believe if i have browser windows open...) that the N900 struggles to get the app to font so that i can answer it!
This last point really should be looked at, if the phone rings, the phone app should take the highest priority and all others the lowest. This is also 1 area why i am really looking forward to a dual core Cortext A9.. that will boost mobile computing as much as dual core on the desktop did!!!

then i come to point 2... Email
Yes now i agree with that the N900 fails big time here (for a mobile computer!)
The combination i had on the E90:

Profimail for some IMAP accounts and the java gmail app for gmail stuff is so much better then the N900 combination of Modest for the imap (and or gmail) or gmail also in the browser...

That area really needs some love, modest just plain sucks... It is usable for a bit, but thats just it.

Tags
fud, fud-ohwait-not, just shoot me, open source