Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by stenny View Post
I think it's necessary but undesirable. It's basically giving Nokia carte blanche to bugger off.
They already have, and they didn't need permission from anybody.

So it's either the community heavyweights taking over, or the N900 ends up in a drawer shortly, as the 770, N800 et N810 before it (which would be *even more* of a shame).

Personally I am grateful to those taking this initiative to extend the platform's useful life, especially those tackling not the code but the organisational issues... which usually prove the most difficult, because good hackers often have bad temper also :-)

Apart from that, this thread is a lot of fun, and the posters' list reads like an ITT/TMMO Who's Who :-)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Just a reminder: There's a one-line patch in https://bugs.maemo.org/6009 that will fix a bug with X Terminal. I personally used a version of vte patched with that patch for several months already, and it works great. Would be nice to have it in the CSSU

Similarly, another one-liner against the same package (vte) fixes the dark grey color, the patch is in https://bugs.maemo.org/7164 and works fine.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 417 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
how up to date are the files from th CSSU from here: http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/repo/
could i install those files without risk on my PR1.3 ?

what are the benefits?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by NightShift79 View Post
how up to date are the files from th CSSU from here: http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/repo/
Not at all, AFAIK.

could i install those files without risk on my PR1.3 ?
No.

what are the benefits?
You get to test whether the CSSU process works and whether or not seamless upgrades happen without stiffing your device & requiring a reflash or manual recovery steps involving R&D mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
Interesting. This thread is the first I've ever heard of a Community SSU for Fremantle, and I thought I was keeping reasonably decent track of Maemo developments somehow. Whoops!

While I'm not personally hit or bothered by this - partly because I don't exactly monitor every single community communications channel (I frankly don't know where to regularly look anyways, other than this forum and having a RSS reader pointed at Planet Maemo), but mostly because the chances of my being able to helpfully contribute are likely somewhere between "snowball's chance in hell" and "you're kidding, right?" - I would be concerned if this project turns out to be quiet enough that y'all end up missing out on potentially helpful contributors and/or bugfixes.

Is there a plot to manage that possibility, or am I being overly paranoid?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
/offtopic
IMO people behind MWK could put up maemo.org twitter account where they post anything related to maemo that they find interesting. We would at least have one source from where people could get all interesting stuff in real-time.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I would be concerned if this project turns out to be quiet enough that y'all end up missing out on potentially helpful contributors and/or bugfixes.
The important thing to realise is that the Community SSU is only just getting started: lots of exciting contributions can come when the kinks are worked out (done); the process is drafted (no-one concerned about being involved has yet answered a single one of the questions I posted above, I note) and the brave have verified that installing the SSU doesn't fundamentally break ones device (probably done).

Originally Posted by slender View Post
/offtopic
IMO people behind MWK could put up maemo.org twitter account where they post anything related to maemo that they find interesting. We would at least have one source from where people could get all interesting stuff in real-time.
You mean exactly like the @mwkn account on Twitter? ;-)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Can i already subscribe to the equivalent of the plain Extras repo in the CSSU for the N900 so when stuff start popping in there i'll already have everything set waiting for it? If yes, how please?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
You mean exactly like the @mwkn account on Twitter? ;-)
Sigh...Well for some reason I´m not surprised that I didn´t know that this exists. This place needs "web 2.0" designer and ad team to markets these things.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
The important thing to realise is that the Community SSU is only just getting started: lots of exciting contributions can come when the kinks are worked out (done); the process is drafted (no-one concerned about being involved has yet answered a single one of the questions I posted above, I note) and the brave have verified that installing the SSU doesn't fundamentally break ones device (probably done).
Challenge accepted. Assuming it's possible to contribute $0.02US here...

Who ultimately owns the CSSU?
  • Council?
Council sounds good to me, personally.

How will included improvements be decided? (Matan)
  • Will there be an inclusive policy - every improvement that someone is willing to work on will be included - or will there be a gatekeeper that will decide what to include? (Matan)
  • Is the scope limited to improving packages which are included by Nokia in the OS; or should it grow to include "useful" stuff?
  • Should wholesale replacement of apps (such as Media Player) be done with open source, feature- & UI-compatible versions; if available?
I'd stick to improving existing OS packages, and let "useful" stuff stay in Extras. If the community wants to get involved in endorsing other nice things (like, oh, I dunno, fMMS or similar), that sounds like a separate project to me. Ditto for FOSS replacements of closed Maemo apps.

Or, IOW, I wouldn't mind having the ability to, say, uninstall Modest (since I never use it), but I don't want that sort of silly side preference to hold up getting other bugfixes going quickly.

How will testing be organised?
  • Positive
  • Negative
  • Regression
  • Installation from scratch
  • Upgrade from previous version
Managing software testing is not something I'm good at; that's more my mother's province. Maybe it might be useful to identify volunteers who are willing to handle possible test cases?

How will it be advertised?
Have Council members rent out billboards in their hometowns. Duh!

I'm assuming advertising means to end-users, not necessarily developers. For those, mwkn and this forum ought to be enough. For developers... well, I don't really count as one, so I don't know what they're paying attention to.

How will it be supported?
  • Bugzilla
  • IRC?
  • Forum
I would assume a mix of Bugzilla and the forums (as is seemingly standard for most of the software here) would be ideal - Bugzilla for folks who can write decent bug reports, and forums for the me-too crowd.

Last edited by Viqsi; 2011-01-13 at 18:03.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Viqsi For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
community ssu, f**k nokia, fremantle, maemo 5, nokia-who?, portrait mode, rotate, task-switcher, update, upgrade