Active Topics

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Wrong. WP raises the commercial bar. Android lowers it. The effect is with Android you have eventually to compete with price only. With WP you can compete with technology and innovation.
That is the complete opposite of reality.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Tell us about your experience, what platforms did you develop for and what problems did you encounter with your Qt applications?
What does that have to do with price of rice in CHINA?

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
What does that have to do with price of rice in CHINA?
You previously said:
there is no way that Qt would have worked the way you guys think. there is no such thing as painless and seamless integration of different platforms.
I'm sure if you were experiencing problems creating cross-platform applications with Qt there are people here who would willingly help you overcome your difficulties.

I'm sure none of us could believe, even for a nano-second, that you would pontificate about a subject you have no real understanding of.

No, not our Lumiaman - he wouldn't talk out of his 4r53 would he?

So let us help you, a problem shared is a problem halved.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
You previously said:
I'm sure if you were experiencing problems creating cross-platform applications with Qt there are people here who would willingly help you overcome your difficulties.

I'm sure none of us could believe, even for a nano-second, that you would pontificate about a subject you have no real understanding of.

No, not our Lumiaman - he wouldn't talk out of his 4r53 would he?

So let us help you, a problem shared is a problem halved.
If Qt is such a great thing, why it didnt help NOKIA? Why it didnt help Maemo or Harmattan? Why did it take eons for them to put a product together? I will tell you why: NOKIA IS NOT A COMPETITIVE SOFTWARE COMPANY. PERIOD. They were good with simpler thing, and got overrun by more competitive companies.

If Qt is such a great thing, why it didnt help NOKIA?
Mmm, that's a tricky one... could it be because NOKIA's Qt Creator IDE and QtQuick were still in Beta when Elop announced Symbian and MeeGo were deprecated? It's always a bit more difficult for software to make an impact before it's been released.

Why it didnt help Maemo or Harmattan?
It would have. Now it will help Android and iOS instead.

Why did it take eons for them to put a product together? I will tell you why: NOKIA IS NOT A COMPETITIVE SOFTWARE COMPANY. PERIOD. They were good with simpler thing, and got overrun by more competitive companies.
More competitive companies? Ah yes... Samsung. Of course, they do have a pedigree in software that NOKIA simply can't match don't they? I have to admit I can't think of their fabulous, incomparable software off the top of my head but I assume it must be great or you wouldn't be making that point.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Wrong. WP raises the commercial bar. Android lowers it. The effect is with Android you have eventually to compete with price only. With WP you can compete with technology and innovation.
WP not only raises the commercial bar, but it also enlargens your penis, gives you collegue degrees, gets you ripped in three weeks, and wins you green cards, right?

Suffices to say that MS has never competed on the basis of technology and innovation, most of it's "competing" resumes itself to legal manouvering, backroom deals, and putting the weight of its monopoly to good use. Let those cash hordes do their job, baby, that's how MS "competes".

Technology? There's nothing to compete with in said offering. Last I checked, it only runs on hardware MS selects, so an OEM can't select what hardware to implement it on.

Innovation? MS also has a tight grip on the code, no modifications allowed. What's there to innovate on, should Nokia release the next Lumias in a box of dry feces, so it matches the content inside? That would surely be a novelty..

While the situation of OEMs using others software is precisely the same, you seem to fail to acknowledge it due to being partial to WP. While android provides relative freedom for Oems AND users to modify the software, and provides Oems the freedom to run it in hardware of their choise, WP provides none of those, leaving no differentiation...

Come to think of it, it's the other way around... Android still has room for differentiation... On WP, given that both hardware and software are third-party controlled... That's where one can only compete on price.

But then again, much like WP won against an Android that beat it fair and square (in spite of WP cheating), WP is better "just because".

If Qt is such a great thing, why it didnt help NOKIA? Why it didnt help Maemo or Harmattan? Why did it take eons for them to put a product together? I will tell you why: NOKIA IS NOT A COMPETITIVE SOFTWARE COMPANY. PERIOD. They were good with simpler thing, and got overrun by more competitive companies.
How many smartphones ran Qt, once again? Qt hasn't helped nokia because nokia took the asinine decision to not use in more than two phones, both of which were underpromoted.

Then the Chief Executioner Officer took the decision to give Qt the axe, and had the company shoot itself in the foot.

It's hard for a resource to help if you don't put it to use.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Bulgaria
If Qt is such a great thing, why it didnt help NOKIA?
The main idea behind Qt is to be platform independent. During the years Qt established as a leading platform independent C++ framework for desktops and it is very likely to have the same future for mobile devices.

No matter how good is a C++ framework it could not help marketing and sales guys Don't blame Qt for poor product management and marketing solutions.

For Nokia, Qt is no longer relevant, and what they sold off was not all of it. They bought but one Trolltech, but they've sold off Qt in two rounds.

As a software tool, Qt was always more relevant outside of Nokia anyway. To quote KDE.org:

Why did KDE choose Qt?
Qt is the best GUI toolkit available for the UNIX platform. It would have been a grave mistake to build a project of the size and scope of KDE with anything else but the best.
So le's end the Qt failure disscussion here, because it makes y'all seem extremely context inaware. It's like "Petrol is a failure, it didn't help Tesla sell a single car!"

Back to the off topic topic:

One week view. No stock price trouble over the weekend. As usual, this is NOK1V, Helsinki, €.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
why do you even discussing Qt here. Nokia don't need or care for Qt anymore, get over it. It's a relevant as if I buy a nokia device or not!

Stock gets a slow start today but I'm sure the will come around.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha