Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
«...The same internet expierence, that tablets have...except I was in full Firefox» - I think this is the best compliment for the tablets xD

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Eh, you can't stick an Eee in your pocket.
And you can't connect the EEE to the Internet over BT connected to your phone's 3G/3.5G data connection. This is crucial in cities where free hotspots are uncommon.

This was the deal breaker for me, but I will seriously consider an EEE once this is addressed. Better if if supported CF cards, seeing that 16MB SDHC cards are far from cheap at this point in time. My SDHC cost me around USD160, which is half the price of what the N800 is supposed to cost....

Of course you can connect the Eee over bluetooth. You just need a bluetooth dongle. Mine recognized the dongle immediately, with no drivers needed. I also use CF cards with it, using a card reader. There isn't much room for a CF slot, but my card reader connects via the USB port, and I use my micro HD from my Lifedrive in it. For $400 you can't really expect to have everything installed, but everything I've tried works via the USB ports. I've ditched my HP laptop, and my desktop, and pretty much my N800, in favor of the Eee.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
So you're saying that the BT dongle is plug and play? If so, that's one major obstacle out of the way...at least for me...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Yes, it is plug&play, but only if recognizable by the kernel drivers. For instance i bought a Chinese bluetooth dongle for $7, which generated a whole ton of kernel messages (thus affecting system stability). After patching the kernel sources and module recompile, that problem was gone (still much more than i achieved in Windows and the BlueSoleil big steaming pile). More established brands like Belkin are a no-brainer though.

BTW, Eee which kernel version uses? Would be good if it is a fresh one.

Hi all,
First, I think this has been a great forum. I just spent a whole three days trying to figure what I was going to do between purchasing A Mac Power book, a regular Vista Pc, and finally the EEE PC, this helped. In fact, it was also the idea of being able to get the N800 for less then $230.00 at Tiger Direct that made my final decision. I decided that I wanted to have the ability of extreme portability, and an OS that I LOVE, which is Linux. Anything to support the cause. My household is only a Linux household, I went extreme only after dealing with the nonesense of Mister Softie and his Orwellian antics.

However, I believe that one needs to have both of these devices to live. Look, first of all, the EEE PC only has 2.5 hours to 3, at least the version I obtained, and when I am flying on a Southwest flight, with no tv, then I am not going to be loving life at that point, unless I can distract myself. Sure, I can read a book, but its fun if you can play games, or work on a school paper. What exciting about both of these devices is that you can actually interchange your storage media, so when one is about to die, I use the other.

I also was worried about shelf life, usability before it becomes completly unsupported. Now both communities for Easy Pc and N800 are lively communities, and with an OS that is anti-obsoletence (if I invented this word, I am sorry...but its sounds great) , I can see that even if Nokia eventually abandons the N800. we will continue to have support.

Finally, I can -now tell you that I feel like I am armed to the teeth to do battle with anything, for not only will I have my EEEPC to work on papers, but I will have my Nokia N800 to transfer the papers from a non wifi hotspot, linking to my Mortorola V557 (Blue Tooth) and my Palm Tungsten e2 doing all of my expenses, and PIM work, which I intend to make interchangable with all three devices....even if I have to port Evolution into my N800

Thanks again!

Last edited by mrgnuopensourceman; 2008-01-13 at 16:45.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Geez, the more I read this the more I wish I had a money tree. :-( I've been eying the Asus for nearly a year now, have yet to read much if any negative reviews and I don't really need another internet device or computer but dang whats the point of taking the apple from the tree, because its there..

Am on a fixed income so getting new gadgets is tough and takes months of saving up for, at the end of last year (07) I finally updated my out dated phone to a new smartphone and now am waiting to see if Nok will be releasing the next IT (refuse to get N810) or if my money will be going to Asus this time around.

Saw many fine examples of MID's and UMPC's at CES but I don't see any of them being anywhere near the Eee Pc's price range.

Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
Better if if supported CF cards, seeing that 16MB SDHC cards are far from cheap at this point in time. My SDHC cost me around USD160, which is half the price of what the N800 is supposed to cost....
Its all about where you look when you buy them.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211245

The Following User Says Thank You to pseudomin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by mrgnuopensourceman View Post
I can see that even if Nokia eventually abandons the N800. we will continue to have support
But only if you run forever the original kernel, since there are some crucial hardware components (like e.g. wifi) that are not documented so they're only working as long as nokia supports them.
As much as I like my tablet (I'm not going to get an eee, at least not yet), this is a real problem, especially considering the short lifespan of these devices.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Eh, you can't stick an Eee in your pocket.
Funny, I can't do that with the tablets either unless I wear a jacket or a coat. May be due to the fact that I stopped wearing cargo pants at the same time I gave back my MG3.