Active Topics

Check it out: http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/335/C1757/

I know that it is a few years old, but still its amazing. Its just like the 770 execpt it has everything that the 770 is missing:
-Keyboard
-much better CPU and memory
-plays video better
-bigger screen
-Hot keys (great feature)
-internal microphone
-and more

Have you guys heard about this? Its simply amazing. The only downfall is that is costs 1249USD. The Nokia 770 is a cheaper version of this while running linux. The price is the only bad thing about it. But when you put that aside, this handheld is simply amazing. Its basicly a MUCH smaller version of a laptop.

I hope the next 770 (771?) will be more like this, just not as expensive

The 770 has a microphone. It's behind the little hole next to the power socket. Haven't seen any software that uses it yet though.

There is a thread running in this forum about it since late january :
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=1175

Nokia aknowledged it was one of their references while designing the 770.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Busan, South Korea
s160 has no keyboard(it's option, very expensive). And it's TFT LCD is not good.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Silicon Valley
I did a detailed review of the S160 a few years back when it was current (though available only through importers). http://www.mobiletechreview.com/nexio_S160.htm

Note in that MobileMag review mentioned at the top of this thread, the author said that Dynamism did the translation of the OS to English-- that is incorrect, the device shipped with the English OS. Unlike the Zaurus, which they do convert to English (that's a trivial task that takes about 20 minutes) it's no easy task to convert or hack any Windows platform to a new language using a different character system.

Anyhow, I found the Nexio so useful at the time that I bought one myself. The keyboard was available as part of a standard bundle and it acts as protection for the display. However, it's pretty nasty typing-wise. Not much better than using the 770's on-screen keyboard and far worse than using a BT Think Outside keyboard with the 770.

There is a newer Nexio model out these days (the XP30 that Yeon-Woo Jeong listed in his .sig above), though the ones I've seen use Korean rather than English. I'm not sure if there's an English version of the new model, which might be why importers like Dynamism aren't carrying it.

The major drawback with the Nexio is that it runs .NET which sounds like it could be a good thing, but it's not. There are very few apps to add to the Nexio. I listed some of the top ones in my review. PPC apps generally don't work (some will, some require hacks and tweaks) and some really old HPC apps do work. But really not a great selection... the problem is that .NET devices tend to be vertical and not consumer so developers never jumped on that bandwagon.

The screen is pretty decent on the Nexio and it is really fun and useful with Terminal Services. If you have an XP Pro desktop your can use the Nexio to run Photoshop and other apps on your PC. Video playback isn't very good on the Nexio. The newer version is better, but again I haven't seen this offered by importers.

The S160 does not use persistent memory, so you'll have to mind the battery level lest you want to lose all data stored in RAM.

I dumped the Nexio when I got my Zaurus C860, which I still own and love. I do use my 770 too.

Last edited by pdagal; 2006-03-26 at 03:42.

Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance
Check it out: http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/335/C1757/

I know that it is a few years old, but still its amazing. Its just like the 770 execpt it has everything that the 770 is missing:
-Keyboard
-much better CPU and memory
-plays video better
-bigger screen
-Hot keys (great feature)
-internal microphone
-and more

Have you guys heard about this? Its simply amazing. The only downfall is that is costs 1249USD. The Nokia 770 is a cheaper version of this while running linux. The price is the only bad thing about it. But when you put that aside, this handheld is simply amazing. Its basicly a MUCH smaller version of a laptop.

I hope the next 770 (771?) will be more like this, just not as expensive
ZeroTolerance,
Ok, first off I own an XP30 which is basically the S160 but with built-in 802.11b (the S160 has no wireless). It is not at all good, so much so I am selling it to buy a Nokia 770.

-Keyboard is optional and as stated rather expensive
-CPU is faster (clockspeed wise an Intel PXA255 at 400MHz) but does not perform since it has that stupid CE.Net OS
-Video? no way, cannot even play a simple webencoded MPEG1 fullscreen. I've even tried WMVs that played on my Dell Axim X30 without a hitch that could not playback on the Nexio without dropping frames so badly, it was pointless to watch - I'd miss entire scenes of trailers!
-Screen is less than an inch larger at 5-inches
-The three Hotkeys hardly seem worth it.
-Internal mic, the 770 has one too
-Oh there is more. More that I'm missing out on if I use that stupid XP30!
-You did not mention battery life. My XP30 battery meter could be used as a countdown timer if I turned on the Wifi. I get about 25mins of continuous web surfing from a full battery with Wifi - That's amazing!

This is not a smaller version of a laptop, it's a smaller version of a paperweight - A very expensive smaller version. There was an XP40 released in Korea last year which added Bluetooth and a longer life battery. This was since discontinued and I think so was the entire Nexio line.

What do they spend on research over there at Samsung, peanuts?

If I had to improve the Nexio, this is what I would do:

-Change to a Intel PXA270 at 300MHz (for best balance between longer battery life and decent performance)
-Include 16GB internal Flash (I should be getting that from Samsung for that price anyway. NAND flash is dirt cheap now compared to two years ago, you just wouldn't think that with the prices we pay at the store.)
-256MB DDR DRAM
-Same size and form factor and screen size and resolution
-Built-in BT2.0+EDR
-Built-in 802.11b/g
-Improve the screen so it can be read outdoors (the current screen is horrible)
-Internal 3000mAh battery and 8800mAh external battery
-USB 2.0 Host (an upgrade from the USB1.1 Host)
-Apart from the CF slot, an SD I/O slot
-Discard the PCMCIA adapter support noone needs it.
-Built-in 3MP camera
-Standard 3.5mm stereo headphone jack rather than the 2.5mm crap it has currently
-Keep the built-in mic and speaker
-Keep VGA out
-Change the the Framebuffer chipset from the Epson (awful graphics) to the nVidia goForce 5500 with an 8MB Video memory or Intel 2700G with 16MB Video memory
-Run linux on it, (Maemo, OpenEmbedded...)

Of course we all know Samsung's engineers don't care what the west has to say and they won't even ever look at this post, but if Nokia's engineers were to build the above described monster... (hint, hint ).

diJenerate

Last edited by diJenerate; 2006-05-03 at 23:46.

I think your asking for a little too much... Sure all those features will be good, but think price and battery life.

Heh, ebay has it for $500
with WiFi installed...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Like-New-Samsung...QQcmdZViewItem

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Silicon Valley
The S160 did have integrated WiFi 802.11b as well-- not just the XP30.

Originally Posted by pdagal
The S160 did have integrated WiFi 802.11b as well-- not just the XP30.

You're right... My error, it's actually USB host support that it doesn't have. That is the major difference.

@takumikai
I think a system like that would cost about USD1,000.00. I would pay that for those features and I'm sure that others would. After all, Samsung has sold how many Nexio units at that price?

diJenerate

Last edited by diJenerate; 2006-05-09 at 17:47.