What is package testserver?

I can read its description here: http://maemo.org/packages/view/testserver/ But I do not understand who is testing and what. PhoNet: https://lwn.net/Articles/303274/

It is installed as default on my phone and it is non-free. Can it be removed?

Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Removing the package is harmful to the system. It will remove the mp-fremantle-generic-pr package, the system version, which, in any case, should NEVER be removed if you want your device to function optimally.
Let it be.

And I don't understand your logic, do you want to remove the package all because it's closed source..?
If you don't want closed source, why do you even have a N900? It's filled with closed source components, and they make the device work as it should. It would've been rubbish without it.
As many people say: If it works well, leave it as it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nokia 5700 For This Useful Post:
Yes, I want it out because it is closed source. There are movement freeing the phone, ant there are only about 300 packages to kick out (or rewrite): http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_closed_packages and this is one of those (maybe easy one).

I think package mp-fremantle-generic-pr is not important, it is removed if CSSU is in use, or working version of SDL-mixer, http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...5+0m5+ogg+mp3/ (which will clash when it goes to the extras)

I can form question little bit different: Is there in debian, gentoo, mer, meego, fedora (and so) anything equivalent for this testserver and are they missing some functionality or stability?

-----
I have spare N900 for experimental development and I have removed testserver (it is also in RD-mode) and I haven't yet figured out it affects anything.

Last edited by AapoRantalainen; 2012-03-31 at 16:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@AapoRantalainen,

I'm now also embarking on a plan to remove unnecessary packages (whether open or closed is not relevant for me at the moment).

Have you figured out anything about the testserver package?

I see it has lots of shared libraries under /usr/lib/testserver/modules and is loaded from /etc/event.replace.d

According to /etc/event.replace.d/testserver:
start on TEST
start on LOCAL
stop on starting shutdown

and does mount -t debugfs /sys/kernel/debug
and exec /etc/init.d/testserver start

when started, it rmmod's g_file_storage and loads g_nokia and runs /usr/bin/testserver

Given that the program appears to test lots of things and is not started automatically, I guess the idea is that you log in per SSH and start the server and then fetch the results /var/log/testserver.

Most likely safe to uninstall.. but would like some input from you (i.e. after 2 weeks of having removed it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
start on TEST
start on LOCAL
whelp, we don't care about these init modes, nor can we use them (can reflash from nolo, no need to unlock phones, hopefully no need to test radios)
take it out.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@Hurrian,

Aye aye, Sir!

# apt-get purge testserver

Worked fine. Some day I will reboot and hopefully will be able to report the list of packages removed so far..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
@AapoRantalainen,

I'm now also embarking on a plan to remove unnecessary packages (whether open or closed is not relevant for me at the moment).
At this moment I'm focused for removing closed source packages (whether they are unnecessary or critical). I think we still have some common ground.

Have you figured out anything about the testserver package?
I have flashed device during this two weeks, but not because of removing testserver.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post: