Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
let's see what it's all about with some random stuff
baby vipera berus caught some years ago

OK, so this clearly does not handle attachments as it should.
But even if it would, still almost useless for anything with more pictures since they always end up at the bottom and you can't use text with them.
Attached Images

Last edited by kinggo; 2020-02-07 at 09:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
It worked. It was there yesterday. It is not anymore.
You used the URL tag. You need to use IMG.

My sincerest apologies, I accused you wrongly. Did my own experiment with the IMG tags and then quoting my own post... TMO turned those tags to URL.

Another experiment... whether the picture shows up or not depends on caching.

Back to the drawing board, folks! This "simple guide" DOES NOT WORK!!!

Last edited by pichlo; 2020-02-07 at 12:28.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
[...]
Back to the drawing board, folks! This "simple guide" DOES NOT WORK!!!
Well, looking at this thread, on my device (hence without caching), all pictures in (your) postings #1, #2 and #4 are embedded fine (i.e., also at the correct places within each posting).
In contrast to that the pictures in the postings #8 and #9 are correctly placed but not displayed, and trying to open them manually (Context menu: View image) results in opening a TMO page stating:
vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

The picture attached to posting #11 is also shown, while the statement there apparently is not true:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
[...]
OK, so this clearly does not handle attachments as it should.
But even if it would, still almost useless for anything with more pictures since they always end up at the bottom and you can't use text with them.
This picture also shows a frame (small outline), labeled "Attached images" (plural!), while all other pictures (displayed or not) lack that.

It looks like there is at least one way to embed pictures anywhere in a message, plus a way to attach pictures at the bottom of a message.

Last edited by olf; 2020-02-08 at 00:55.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Well, looking at this thread, on my device (hence without caching), all pictures in (your) postings #1, #2 and #4 are embedded fine (i.e., also at the correct places within each posting).
In contrast to that the pictures in the postings #8 and #9 are correctly placed but not displayed, and trying to open them manually (Context menu: View image) results in opening a TMO page stating:
vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
Yup, that's the point:
  • Posts #1 and #2 use their own attachments and show them like garbage.
  • Post #4 uses some other post's attachment and shows it fine.
  • Posts #8 and #9 try to display their own attachments in a way described in post #8 and they do not show it at all.
In other words, the "simple guide" does not work. There is no way of displaying a post's own attachments nicely.

It looks like there is at least one way to embed pictures anywhere in a message, plus a way to attach pictures at the bottom of a message.
Yes, but not nicely. The best one can achieve is something like this. Embed your attachment in the message BUT put up with the garbage at the bottom.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Just my trial...

Which show exactly the same result

So maybe it is better if juiceme reverts the last change?
Do not really remember what he changed, just that he changed
Attached Images

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I think he just changed the limitation to upload highres- images. If so i don't think he should revert this change. We can now upload high-res pictures. Even so the display is somewhat limited. It is still a step in the right direction.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I think he just changed the limitation to upload highres- images. If so i don't think he should revert this change. We can now upload high-res pictures. Even so the display is somewhat limited. It is still a step in the right direction.
Yes, what I dod should not affect anything except increase the size limit of the pictures.

I have to confess I already am so confused on which is the correct procedure to upload the picture so that it shows up as the nice small image which expands at need...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Now if I take a picture witn N900 and BlessN900 and crop it to resize it to 77% then I can upload it now after what juiceme did.

But I am SO GLAD others can't make it work either. Felt so low when people looked me from above and gave instructions to me and I just couldn't make it work.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have to confess I already am so confused on which is the correct procedure to upload the picture so that it shows up as the nice small image which expands at need...
I vote for removing the special treatment of picture attachments. Let them be shown like any other, like e.g. here. The post can then refer to them with IMG or ATTACH tags if it wants them displayed as an image.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Well...

Just started new storage-topic for pictures... Where from one can link picture to competition topic like this?

When picture is already uploaded there, one can link it nicely to competition topic later... Any vote for this solution?

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

Last edited by catbus; 2020-02-11 at 20:17.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post: