When i joined the forum a few weeks ago, i had no idea who was who. Which was pretty normal i guess. The post count and join date on profiles helped show who was experienced and more likely to have deeper knowledge, but it took me a while to figure out e.g. that qgil is a nokia employee and as such knew some things most didn't. Peter@maemomarketing was a bit easier to figure out though
So the question is: is there no way to make important details about people visible? Like a note on the post count+thanked # line with the mention "nokia rep / employee". I think it will help sort out some threads where people say contradictory things, by showing who is more likely to be closer to the subject
I'm still for keeping 'normal' community members all in one basket. Yes, some contribute more than others, but let's not turn this into a competition

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
When i joined the forum a few weeks ago, i had no idea who was who. Which was pretty normal i guess. The post count and join date on profiles helped show who was experienced and more likely to have deeper knowledge, but it took me a while to figure out e.g. that qgil is a nokia employee and as such knew some things most didn't. Peter@maemomarketing was a bit easier to figure out though
So the question is: is there no way to make important details about people visible? Like a note on the post count+thanked # line with the mention "nokia rep / employee". I think it will help sort out some threads where people say contradictory things, by showing who is more likely to be closer to the subject
I'm still for keeping 'normal' community members all in one basket. Yes, some contribute more than others, but let's not turn this into a competition
Interesting idea - i would assume it is up to those community members to do it, not fair on forcing a description on someone.
But being new'ish myself to here i like the idea of knowing who is a developer, who helps with the brainstorming etc... the maemo helpers thing is great for me

And i suppose i would just come under a general Nokia users group

I suppose you have summed it up slightly though - as the more you read here, the more you learn, and you end up knowing what you have just asked

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
So the question is: is there no way to make important details about people visible? Like a note on the post count+thanked # line with the mention "nokia rep / employee".
Seeing the hostility towards Nokia which has emerged on several threads now, I don't think that that is a good idea - those people probably would drown in private messages on where the n900s are ...

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Originally Posted by range View Post
Seeing the hostility towards Nokia which has emerged on several threads now, I don't think that that is a good idea - those people probably would drown in private messages on where the n900s are ...
I don't agree, I don't think that making those people more visible would have a great impact on their 'privacy' on this forum.

Besides, it is not only about Nokia employees, but also about moderators, admins, all the forum VIPs.

It's a good idea, I would vote for it. It makes life easier.

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Meh, the "damn nokia for keeping me waiting"-ers can go hump a brick wall. In a few days the devices will start coming in and over-excited teenagers can finally use daddy's cash and get their toy.
Also, hate mail is pretty easy to identify and swiftly delete
Also, those nokia people that i know of are pretty easy to spot anyway (especially peter), so i don't think they're hiding very well. Newbs would probably find them harder (which is the point of this discussion), but don't forget the troll-vision annoying people have, allowing them to easily find targets
Of course, everything would be optional. I'd just like to see a spot (besides the signature) where people with some relevant quality can show it, and dev's can show what they made (a tag like "Dev/contributor of [insert app here")

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
We need a tag for Developers, UI/Graphics Artists, Promoters/Bloggers/Journalists, Camera Gurus, Nokia Representatives, and Maemo Experts (those that have been around x years with y amount of posts and z karma).

I'm totally for adding ID tags for certain users.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This keeps coming up over and over in thread after thread. I agree with the premise on the surface, but have to admit that the counterarguments were convincing. Bottom line, there's considerable resistance from many of the people who would be affected...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
recent discussion of this took place here. Read GA's post #8 for an example of why Nokian's may not want the forehead tatoo "I'm from Nokia"

Last edited by EIPI; 2009-11-15 at 19:33.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
This keeps coming up over and over in thread after thread. I agree with the premise on the surface, but have to admit that the counterarguments were convincing. Bottom line, there's considerable resistance from many of the people who would be affected...
I don't see the need for that either (well, I don't see the need for web fora when you have mailing lists, either, so I am prejudiced).

I think people should be valued by what they say and do and not by some tags. Because what makes a Nokia employee so special here except that he might know some internals about - let's say - battery monitoring.

If he can say something and sees the request in a thread, he probably will say something. If not he won't. Would he himself behave differently when he has a "NOKIA" tag attached to him? I don't think so. So where's the use in that tag then?

EDIT: Reading the Topic's title - why does "works at Nokia" make someone important here on maemo.org? Wouldn't council members be more important? Or programmers? Or people who run the platform?

Last edited by range; 2009-11-15 at 19:12. Reason: Just a thought

The Following User Says Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
I think people should be valued by what they say and do and not by some tags. Because what makes a Nokia employee so special here except that he might know some internals about - let's say - battery monitoring.
If someone asks if the N900 will get app X, or whether the Y advancement on Diablo will appear this century, us mortals can speculate. Nokia employees can inform. True, they're not all-knowing and sometimes aren't allowed to share, but at least it would give them some authority when saying "this will happen"

Reading the Topic's title - why does "works at Nokia" make someone important here on maemo.org? Wouldn't council members be more important? Or programmers? Or people who run the platform?
I never said nokia employees where the only rockstars we should idolize. I only talked about them because there's a more clearly drawn line. Council members are important too obviously, and other people i'm forgetting about (sorry, i'm just tired). I didn't want to include programmers because there's no clearly defined line for importance: if i make a hello world app, i could technically call myself a programmer too. They could have a 'developer of ...' tag, though
It would seem those affected are not too eager to "admit" their status. Oh well. At least adding some tags for people who do want to use them might be useful. Or just a recommendation to put anything relevant in the signature (like "i have a n900, what i say is tested")

The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post: