Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 4,934 | Thanked: 14,765 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#41
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Two issues. "Soon" was used and that actually took a full minute to boot...
I agree with 'soon' but the boot time? Hand on the heart, how long does Sailfish take to boot? Or Maemo? As long as you do not need to reboot other than for an OS update, I don't see a problem.
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
endsormeans's Avatar
Posts: 2,013 | Thanked: 4,651 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Supa Natural Vancouver Island
#42
boot time from one of my n800's from sd card is SIGNIFICANTLY less than a minute...(never bothered before ...but I am curious ..so I will reboot it when I get home and see how long it takes...)
AND...
I have left 'em plugged in.... and running.... for MONTHS solid ...before rebooting ....and NOT because I had to reboot either!....
and that is 10 yr old tech.
So...if modern devices and os's are having trouble and needing reboots...and they have boot up times that are long...
There is a DEFINITE problem...

and the solution is...

everyone should have an n8x0 !


__________________
Lurker since 2007, Member since 2013, Certifiable since 1972
Owner of : 1-n770 (in retirement),
3-n800's,
3-n810's,
5-n900's
-3 flawless
-1 loose usb (i don't muck with it & stress it , considering selling it, another can fix the loose usb)
-1 no telephony (perfect for permanent set-up as mini-pc with one of my monitors)
half a neo900 pre- "bought"....due for production any day now.


PIMP MY N8X0
Everything you need tightly explained in layman's terms ..in an easy to understand format.. and a video walkthrough to boot.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAY
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634

THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PRO
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567

AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Last edited by endsormeans; 2017-01-15 at 10:16.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 4,934 | Thanked: 14,765 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#43
I made an experiment. Switched off my N900 and my Jolla and made some measurements. All are accurate to +/-2 seconds, due to using a regular wrist watch and having to constantly flip between looking at the watch and the phone screen.

First, the N900:
12 seconds of white screen with the Nokia logo, then darkness
35 seconds to the wallpaper first appearing
55 seconds to first desktop icons appearing
1 minute for the desktop fully populated
1 minute 5 seconds for tapping on the File Manager icon having any effect
1 minute 17 seconds for File Manager actually showing any mounted volumes

Now the Jolla:
15 seconds of Jolla logo, then darkness
35 seconds to the first sign of any life (spinner)
50 seconds to the home screen
To Jolla's credit, I could use the phone from that point on.
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,143 | Thanked: 9,973 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#44
Code:
~ $ 
~ $ uptime
 15:59:51 up 875 days,  5:39,  load average: 0.15, 0.08, 0.02
~ $
'nuff said.
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
endsormeans's Avatar
Posts: 2,013 | Thanked: 4,651 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Supa Natural Vancouver Island
#45
If I could only convey properly giggles, snickers and guffaws in text...
ooooh!
I can't wait to get home now ...
reboot my Precambrian n800 ...
and time it!

If it does better than the n900 that is pretty frickin' bad...
If it does better than the Jolla I would call that grim....
If it has a time no better or worse than either....I wouldn't call that a success either...

tech 5 to 10 years in advance and their corresponding specs had better beat my antiquated jalopy ....

or many people better start throwing out a lot of ideas on the progression of technologies...
__________________
Lurker since 2007, Member since 2013, Certifiable since 1972
Owner of : 1-n770 (in retirement),
3-n800's,
3-n810's,
5-n900's
-3 flawless
-1 loose usb (i don't muck with it & stress it , considering selling it, another can fix the loose usb)
-1 no telephony (perfect for permanent set-up as mini-pc with one of my monitors)
half a neo900 pre- "bought"....due for production any day now.


PIMP MY N8X0
Everything you need tightly explained in layman's terms ..in an easy to understand format.. and a video walkthrough to boot.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAY
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634

THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PRO
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567

AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325
 

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
gerbick's Avatar
Posts: 6,488 | Thanked: 14,121 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ undecided.
#46
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Code:
~ $ 
~ $ uptime
 15:59:51 up 875 days,  5:39,  load average: 0.15, 0.08, 0.02
~ $
'nuff said.
I've always found uptime to be useful for my servers, mainly because they actually do things that require it. But to have a featureless, unsupported and overall useless communication device that cannot surf any modern websites or communicate using more popular platforms with actual people that use those popular platforms is the key difference.

Simply stated, and I really do not want a semantic battle over what comes next - I want a communication device that can interface what my needs are today and not what they were in 2008. I want a device that actually has little to no noticeable lag in the times I really find it frustrating and can do what I need. Uptime is at the lowest of the things that I'm looking for to be honest - stability is great, but if it cannot interface a damn thing, uptime just means that I'm in possession of a device that does nothing but give me bragging rights.

tl;dr **** uptime. Give me functions.
__________________
gerbick | iPhone X [ 256GB iOS 11.2 Beta ] | iPad Pro [ 256GB iOS 11.2 Beta ]
Former Maemo Council Member - 2015
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gerbick For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 4,934 | Thanked: 14,765 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#47
@gerbick, I agree that on its own @juiceme's post is about as good as a p155 in the wind. But was your moan about the boot time any better? Both are pretty much irrelevant. Both about equally so.
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
gerbick's Avatar
Posts: 6,488 | Thanked: 14,121 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ undecided.
#48
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
@gerbick, I agree that on its own @juiceme's post is about as good as a p155 in the wind. But was your moan about the boot time any better? Both are pretty much irrelevant. Both about equally so.
To be blunt, I honestly don't care* what you really think is relevant; especially when a niche group is all about esoteric things that matter mostly only to them. I do however find that we tend to like similar things on this forum yet factor in minor things that rarely matter outside of this forum.

Boot time is relevant to me because these mobile OS's are unoptimized and getting bulkier per day. Where's the devices that boot or at least wake up quickly? Perhaps you can live with something that boots (or wake) in the time of microwave popcorn but I don't have that patience left in me.

I get it; you don't consider what I pointed out as important. That's actually quite fine. But as free as you lot are to bring out what's important to you; I can do the same.

*Not meant as disrespect
__________________
gerbick | iPhone X [ 256GB iOS 11.2 Beta ] | iPad Pro [ 256GB iOS 11.2 Beta ]
Former Maemo Council Member - 2015
 

The Following User Says Thank You to gerbick For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,143 | Thanked: 9,973 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#49
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I've always found uptime to be useful for my servers, mainly because they actually do things that require it. But to have a featureless, unsupported and overall useless communication device that cannot surf any modern websites or communicate using more popular platforms with actual people that use those popular platforms is the key difference.
Yes, I have to admit that my collectiong uptime on my N9 is more or less a vanity action. "just be cause I can".

However I disagree with you on the latter points. I see no merit in the waste you call "modern websites" and nice enough I don't have to use those. (what are they anyway, have not came across any really??)
I can surf the sites I need pretty well, for example TMO works okay.

And what are those communication platforms you so desire; I can use voicecall, email, sms, irc... In fact I have never needed anything else.
(not exactly true; we had a passing fad in the company where we used slack but it was abandoned after a while for the basic and reliable ones, email and irc...)

As for connections; in my country both 3G and 4G are pretty ubiquous and for that reason so many people have migrated over to 4G that it happens so that currently 3G is very uncognested and provides speedy and reliable connection.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,143 | Thanked: 9,973 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#50
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Boot time is relevant to me because these mobile OS's are unoptimized and getting bulkier per day. Where's the devices that boot or at least wake up quickly? Perhaps you can live with something that boots (or wake) in the time of microwave popcorn but I don't have that patience left in me.
I have found that booting my devices is really unnecessary. For example SFOS is something you practically never need to boot; if something goes awry you just need to restart lipstick and that solves just about all problems I ever have had.
And lipstick restart takes just 4 seconds, what device can you match that with?


Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I get it; you don't consider what I pointed out as important. That's actually quite fine. But as free as you lot are to bring out what's important to you; I can do the same.

*Not meant as disrespect
No disrespect taken! In fact you are one of the bunch here that I hold in the highest respect due to your ability to present your points well and take others viewpoints into consideration!
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
alternative, device, f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck it all, f*ck microsoft, linux, open source, tablet, unobtainium

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:30.