Dear Experts,

Iam happy to have been visiting this forum for a year and would like to make my first post (!) seeking your help. u guys are so nice and helpful..Big Thanks for all. I'd would like to appreciate all your excellent work.

I had installed ubiboot on my White N9 and couldnot boot into any OS. So I temporarily flashed the L2-fixed kernel and now Harmattan is working. I'd like to use ubiboot and fix related problems.
I backedup all my files and would like to full-flash if required but don't know how to do it. Iam afraid about the repartioning done by moslo during my first ubiboot install. Could someone kindly help, please?
Iam attaching my ubiboot.log file here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/14u9bvfi0ztbfkc/ubiboot.log

Thanks.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mkpal View Post
Dear Experts,

Iam happy to have been visiting this forum for a year and would like to make my first post (!) seeking your help. u guys are so nice and helpful..Big Thanks for all. I'd would like to appreciate all your excellent work.

I had installed ubiboot on my White N9 and couldnot boot into any OS. So I temporarily flashed the L2-fixed kernel and now Harmattan is working. I'd like to use ubiboot and fix related problems.
I backedup all my files and would like to full-flash if required but don't know how to do it. Iam afraid about the repartioning done by moslo during my first ubiboot install. Could someone kindly help, please?
Iam attaching my ubiboot.log file here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/14u9bvfi0ztbfkc/ubiboot.log

Thanks.
According tou your log, your kernel image file was found and loaded successifully, so what fails is one of the steps after that.
I am fairly sure you are missing your harmattan preinit file, as that is the most common failure after a misplaced kernel image.

To make sure, please check that you have /sbin/preinit_harmattan on your root partition.
If you are missing it, you can copy your existing preinit file and it should be OK.

To do that, enter the collowing command as root:
"cp /sbin/preinit /sbin/preinit_harmattan"

After that, just reflash your ubiboot kernel and you should be fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well yes, there are ways of doing that (encrypt all partitions, query for key in ubiboot, pass the authenticated token somehow neatly into the starting kernel's memory area...)
I've thought about this while on vacation :P
LVM and dm-crypt, accelerated by omap-aes would be quite nice to use!

You could set up an encrypted LUKS partition on the bare eMMC device, then straight up LVM on top of it.

The key to unlock the LUKS would be part of Ubiboot - you'd probably have the device IMEI XOR'd with the user's passcode, then run through PBKDF2.

Unfortunately, to minimize modifications needed to Harmattan and other OSes, the kernel would need to be modified to accept a LUKS key passed in the kernel cmdline.

The real challenge is ensuring the entire bootchain is trusted - the inability for us to codesign our kernels and block unsigned code is a challenge.

From what I know, the OMAP on the N9/50 requires a signed primary boot loader, secondary AKA NOLO is allowed to be unsigned, breaking the chain of trust

If we could load our own code signing certificates, end-users themselves could trust the software that runs on their devices, and warn if unsigned software runs.

(Yes, I just described the reverse of a jailbreak - security functions, when used to protect user data are a godsend!)

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
According tou your log, your kernel image file was found and loaded successifully, so what fails is one of the steps after that.
I am fairly sure you are missing your harmattan preinit file, as that is the most common failure after a misplaced kernel image.

To make sure, please check that you have /sbin/preinit_harmattan on your root partition.
If you are missing it, you can copy your existing preinit file and it should be OK.

To do that, enter the collowing command as root:
"cp /sbin/preinit /sbin/preinit_harmattan"

After that, just reflash your ubiboot kernel and you should be fine.
@juiceme Thankyou so much. I followed ur commands (copying file and flashing ubiboot 02 kernel) and now I have ubiboot menu booting up and harmattan loads fine when chosen.
However, when nitdroid is chosen (Eyes's L2Fix Nitdroid image under android menu), nothing happens even if waiting for a long time. So I switched off and switched on to get ubibbot menu. Sailfish boots but not nitdroidor firefox . Did I miss something ? or is that got to do with reflashing ubiboot after copying of preinit-harmattan. Kindly help, if possible.

Also, what if I want to uninstall ubiboot completely (excluding the moslo partitioning procedure) and reinstall ubiboot and all OS from scratch? Is there a uninstall tutorial? As Iam a windows user, I'm willing to compile the ubiboot install and reinstall procedure for (windows users), when i get familiar with the steps. May be, if each step is indexed well, that will make it simple for all.

I appreciate all your efforts and Thanks again.

Last edited by mkpal; 2014-02-02 at 09:39.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
@juiceme Thankyou so much. I followed ur commands (copying file and flashing ubiboot 02 kernel) and now I have ubiboot menu booting up and harmattan loads fine when chosen.
However, when nitdroid is chosen (Eyes's L2Fix Nitdroid image under android menu), nothing happens even if waiting for a long time. So I switched off and switched on to get ubibbot menu. Sailfish boots but not nitdroidor firefox . Did I miss something ? or is that got to do with reflashing ubiboot after copying of preinit-harmattan. Kindly help, if possible.
Well, for Nitdroid you need the preinit_nitdroid file, of course.
Did yo read through the readme file and wiki page, I am fairly certain that those things are mentioned there?

Sailfish boots because unlike Harmattan & Nitdroid it does not need a preinit file to start up, the init file of Sailfish is already included in the Sailfish filesystem image.

Also, what if I want to uninstall ubiboot completely (excluding the moslo partitioning procedure) and reinstall ubiboot and all OS from scratch? Is there a uninstall tutorial? As Iam a windows user, I'm willing to compile the ubiboot install and reinstall procedure for (windows users), when i get familiar with the steps. May be, if each step is indexed well, that will make it simple for all.
Ubiboot is composed of 2 separate but interdependent parts; the ubiboot kernel and the cpio+config files.
Uninstalling ubiboot is very easy, all you have to do is to flash a "regular" kernel to your device, for example using the L2-fixed kernel:
sudo flasher -a firmware.bin -k zImage_2.6.32.54-openmode_l2fix --flash-only=kernel -f -R

After that your system does not use the cpio and config any longer, so ubiboot is effectively uninstalled.

I already enabled developer mode, AFter disclaimer-cal remove View-openmode
rm -rf /home/user/.accounts/
rm -rf /home/user/.aegis/
rm -rf /home/user/.activesync/

do i still need back to back flashing?

Originally Posted by yemko View Post
I already enabled developer mode, AFter disclaimer-cal remove View-openmode
rm -rf /home/user/.accounts/
rm -rf /home/user/.aegis/
rm -rf /home/user/.activesync/

do i still need back to back flashing?
It is highly likely that your device works correctly, as the things you have done fix the most visible problems.
There might still be something that causes hidden problems, but if you have now used your device for some time after this, and seen no adverse effects it probably is OK to continue without back-to-back flashing.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,552 | Thanked: 3,108 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Russia, 96
Any news about backupmenu?

Hmmm thank you modders. I encountered a great bug on Alpha 5 Headset not working. Music playing via loudspeaker only! Any solution to this?

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Using Alpha4 is solution

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post: