Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Did no one noticed this!?
This is awesome!!!!]
Seen it. It is starting to look too good to be true...

Did Nokia made the N950 design by an external company that still lives ? Otherwise it is strange to be able to find the original team to do a new design, more than 5 years later with all that happened with Nokia.

Also, keyboard design should have been the part that Livermorium masters, from the keyboard mod development. I find it strange to start over by an external team.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Ex. Nokians have worked on Jolla 1 phone and Marshall Android-phone designs so I think it is possible. Lots of people from Nokia started their own companies when old Nokia dissolved. Many got funding for that too.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
well if you compare the newsletter image and Keyboard MOD slider images, you may see that thay are completely different. though earlier Chen said that Keyboard Mod mechanism would be used in Fx (I guess so).

BTW, folks, did anyone try to drop N950/E7? is angled slider mechanism as solid, as the 'flat' N900 slider? I've dropped my N900 once down the stairs, 5 times it hit the ground before stopping, slider opened before final hit. but still, even after 8 years, the slider mechanism is as firm as it was the day I've bought it.

I'd prefer to have a solid 'flat' mechanism like the N900 had instead of 'angled' slider if it's not as solid as flat one. I realize that modern phone most likely wouldn't survive 5 drops (bezel-less capacitive pseudo-glass screen is much weaker than framed plastic resistive screen from N900), but even if the screen and/or glass breaks, I'd hope the slider mechanism to survive.

P.S. previously I had the N95 slider and it wasn't solid at all comparing to N900. was pretty much loose even without dropping. still, N900 3-row keyboard opens way less than the Fx phone, so I guess the less of the body comes out, the more solid it is.
I have used both the E7 and the N950, believe me, the slider on those phones were phenomenal! And believe me, Fx would even have a better slider. (How do I know this? Maybe some angel came and told me about it )

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Did Nokia made the N950 design by an external company that still lives ?
That question made me DuckDuck into the matter and necromance a bit.
Maybe F(x) is referring to someone not so prominent but still involved in E7/N950/N97 design, but those names pop up most frequently.

Axel Meyer was the lead designer for n97 and also at least involved in n9.
Eguchi Shunjiro was involved in n97 and also E7.

N9 "family" was concepted by Anton Fahlgren.

Then there was mighty Marko Ahtisaari as Head of design during the time.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
I have used both the E7 and the N950, believe me, the slider on those phones were phenomenal!
True, the angled slider is very robust and in my opinion it is better quality than the slider used in N900.
I have seen lot of E7's that have taken a crazy amount of beating and only one that had the slider arm broken due the course.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
True, the angled slider is very robust and in my opinion it is better quality than the slider used in N900.
(Putting a flak jacket on...)

That is true. Of all the portable devices with a physical keyboard I have used through the ages, the N900's straight slider is definitely the worst. By a long margin.

(Mostly from the ergonomic point of view, but I have seen some really robust designs other than a dumb slider.)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
I can claim for sure you never touched a Motorola Droid 4 pichlo,
its slider is incredibly bad.

With the N900 I give it one quick push with the thumb and it clips into the open position. One quick push with my index and its closed.

With the Droid 4 I have to force it all the way up, and it constantly changes in resistance on the way.
To close it I need to use thumb and index of both hands.
And that describes the better one of the two i own.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Macros View Post
I can claim for sure you never touched a Motorola Droid 4 pichlo,
its slider is incredibly bad.

With the N900 I give it one quick push with the thumb and it clips into the open position. One quick push with my index and its closed.

With the Droid 4 I have to force it all the way up, and it constantly changes in resistance on the way.
To close it I need to use thumb and index of both hands.
And that describes the better one of the two i own.
Don't you even dare to compare a Droid vs the Nokia designs!
You probably didn't use an E7 or a N950...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
I think the angle are some what subjective. I really appreciate the simplicity, and straight/flat slide design. When using programs for drawing like mypaint, you using the keyboard constantly and I'm not sure how when this would work with an angle keyboard.

Also I think shaihkritzer was mainly focus on the durability of the n900 design. I'm open to trying it when it comes out, but for me it would most likely take some getting use to. And no I never got to play with the n950

x

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
(Putting a flak jacket on...)

That is true. Of all the portable devices with a physical keyboard I have used through the ages, the N900's straight slider is definitely the worst. By a long margin.

(Mostly from the ergonomic point of view, but I have seen some really robust designs other than a dumb slider.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
E7 got the best hardware QWERTY and iOS got the best software QWERTY!

If Fx qualify for an top five position is still unknown. Is this a toy or a quality device is still unknown.

Someone said this was Q1 ready? It’s Q1 but is it ready?

Will we see ChenFx @ MwC? Any news on that?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit