Hello folks,
I have been looking keenly at the recent developments and was wondering if it would be a dumb idea to buy an n900 now since Meego is most likely dead and Maemo has been abandoned? I am a linux user and would love to have a device like the n900 with me at all times but with the recent news I'm not sure? What says you..?

The Following User Says Thank You to mustafaupk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
According to Nokia's announcement they are going to continue developing Meego and there is also Intel.

At least I'm going to keep on developing for N900

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to laasonen For This Useful Post:
are you mad? buy one immediatley! they are about to become an assload rarer. ****it, buy 2, I am!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Sounds like it would be the optimal device for you.
Maemo was screwed already before these news, so its nothing to worry about

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Thinking about buying a spare myself. There's still nothing like it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Depends on what you're planning to do with it... if you can live with the fact that there are less and less new apps coming to it, then maybe. It's a nice toy to have, that's sure.

I've bought mine only 3 months ago and I still think it was (and is) worth the money. On the other hand I miss some apps like an easy-to-use location based reminder program. Plus I'd like to have a bigger software choice.

But right now there isn't any single phone on the market that I'd call a true alternative for me, and I know this won't change that fast - even with all the shiny dual-core mobiles waiting to be released. In the last 3 months I've become used to the possibility of being able to fit nearly everything to my needs. And thanks to the community at least important fixes and improvements should be released for a while.

My story with the N900 is a story of love and hate, but the love is still stronger than the hate I'd clearly recommend it if you are aware of the fact, that there is much to discover, but of course with limitations...

Though I've sworn to not buy another Nokia phone in the future, I'd make an exception for a replacement N900 if mine suddenly died...

EDIT: in short this means: BUY IT !!

Last edited by geekgirl74; 2011-02-12 at 22:47.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
NO I mean YES , I mean NO :P

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Id say this is a better time than ever... Its really a unique device, and i think its fair to say we arent gonna get another like it for a long time, maybe never from Nokia. Maybe someone from the forums with computer hardware quality control, ahem former nokia employee ahem, will start a service for repairing these n900s so we can keep them forever

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hell yes. Buy three.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by mustafaupk View Post
I am a linux user and would love to have a device like the n900 with me at all times but with the recent news I'm not sure?
Oh, heck yeah. If you want to run all your Linux apps on a cell-phone sized device, particularly if you don't want to jailbreak/root/otherwise compromise the device to do it, this is the best thing out there. Now that Nokia is becoming a Microsoft subsidiary, it may be the only one for years to come as well.

It's a beautiful little device.

Tags
kajko the tool, kajko+elop=love, twigdouche