Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...just one word: AquaMail. There will not be some just-better-than-shitty FOSS alternative for years. Just read my word™. Word. Let hackjobs slowly die.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2013-06-28 at 11:27.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Which could be translated to "we are too lazy to make a proper public API, so we just mashed up an Android app and called it a day". But yeah, this is still a real concern and IMHO a valid argument for having some sort of Android emulation available.
yeah, public API...
well, who is interested in a public API?
developers?
as a matter of fact there are usually a lot of apps for a single organisation, many of which created by 3rd parties, either with commercial intend or "freely" (or as adware)
either way, there has to be some API available.
but at the end of the day, the vast majority of users just want an app which not only shows them information but also allows them to interact, like planning a trip or even booking it...
and there, the number of devices running on an OS obviously matters.
if i would develop (& maintain) myself all the apps i found in a few hrs for Android, i could be busy full time.
only, the number of ppl interested in using it, leave alone paying for it would be so small, it simply never would allow for a living
alas

unbelievable that from the most used (& sold) platform three years ago, NOKIA went to oblivion because of one m0##0n
flop deserves to be cut in pieces and fed to the porks

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
apps that are just a front end to a website......... well someone should just port this http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/oculo/

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Stop cry AGAIN android IS doomed! Only naive kids belkeive Android will live forever. Its like when I said Microsoft Windows is doomed 2005 no one belived me. But as shown: more and more people using other OS:es this days.
You are still so amusing with your ramblings! Yes, Microsoft is about to die! Android also!

Way to live in an ivory tower. Maemo/meego fan ivory towers are really the cream of the crop - Android is being accepted in most FOSS circles, but not here, no sir! It is doomed!

Sorry, go on!

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
You are still so amusing with your ramblings! Yes, Microsoft is about to die! Android also!

Way to live in an ivory tower. Maemo/meego fan ivory towers are really the cream of the crop - Android is being accepted in most FOSS circles, but not here, no sir! It is doomed!

Sorry, go on!
Guess some parts of this rant still apply. Definitely the first paragraph; and anyway just replace Nokia with Jolla... history repeating.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Guess some parts of this rant still apply. Definitely the first paragraph; and anyway just replace Nokia with Jolla... history repeating.
Ah yes, one of my favorite Maemo rants ever.

And it still is very true of this community, if not even more - I guess the less members the more rabid and agressive the fanboyism turns, since they reinfornce each other.

Just check out mike's post above, it goes off on various tangents that have not much to do with the topic at hand (NSA? what does that have to do with all this?), trying to convince everybody how their little corner of the world will rule everything eventually.

I'd recommend those people to get out sometimes and look around the world, meet people and see/hear what they do and like, instead of trying to change everyone and non stop convince them that they are wrong for liking something you loathe.

Last edited by herpderp; 2013-06-29 at 14:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What comes first...

The snow or the Jolla phone?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Giving that last few years snow came early in Germany, and Jolla are not good at planning & comms, i bet a tenner on snow.

@herp: but, what would TMO be without our foulmouthed, furry little basement-dwelling nerd? Imagine; our own (Very) "Angry Mobile Platforms Nerd"!

Only people who have no brand-loyalty, are curious and put their blinders down (if they ever wore any), do a reality check and take advantage of general developments 'across systems' will be successful. Others, not so much.

Going on a rampant spree isn't good for heart & mind anyway. Besides that, its summer in the northern hemisphere - enjoy doing things outside for as long as possible, instead of proclaiming & defending an 'unlike' movement while belittling success stories. The more you insist on, the more you are a mere follower (of ideologies).

Resist ideologies. Evaluate all possibilities, repeatedly. Use the right tool for a (your) job. Don't act as a follower, regardless for whom. Enjoy life. Stop complaining.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2013-06-29 at 15:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Ah yes, one of my favorite Maemo rants ever.
And it still is very true of this community, if not even more - I guess the less members the more rabid and agressive the fanboyism turns, since they reinfornce each other.

Just check out mike's post above, it goes off on various tangents that have not much to do with the topic at hand (NSA? what does that have to do with all this?), trying to convince everybody how their little corner of the world will rule everything eventually.
I'd recommend those people to get out sometimes and look around the world, meet people and see/hear what they do and like, instead of trying to change everyone and non stop convince them that they are wrong for liking something you loathe.
Way to go with "taring a whole bunch of people with the same brush"...
I think you'll find many users here who have a slightly to VERY different perspective to that of Mike's.
Given your choice of wording, you're sounding more narrow-minded than most here.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-06-29 at 17:30. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Decided to remove my posts about Android, I should learn stop feed the trolls it has no point soo

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red