Active Topics

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
My first thread.

In this time of this angst filled pressure point when everyone is keenly trying to update to the new OS and now many are also trying to download the ported 2008 updates and examples like the new beta of Canola2, it would be nice to break out of the flaming rants and the (very valid) complaining that at times threatens to take over the day here.

O.k. so all those frustrations are true, but here is a positive snapshot for you.

Advertising idea:
My Wife is pregnant and due Jan17th.ish, so you can imagine her condition these days. Picture this: She is lying in the bed(clothed), just trying to relax in her general state of discomfort. The baby must be doing back flips in her womb. Moving about and being active.

I grab for my wife's N800 and cue up a quick song...almost random, from her mix I had installed.

So here is the scene, with her laying there with a tablet N800 sitting on her hip and the song called Butterfly by Alecia Keyes is now playing.... and the baby immediately stops moving within and the song is so nice filling the space around us and the scenario with soft lighting was so perfect it could've made a first class Nokia N800 advertisement for TV.

This forum needs a thread to allow people to express real world moments with their tablets.
The ones that move you with positivity, the ones where your tablet proves it potential.
This is the point of it all!
Tools, that when understood and utilized bring joy and help create stories in peoples' every day life.

The nuts and bolts of functionality is fine and even the good rants and whining have their place, but it is the sharing of the actual usage and occasions of gadget magic that really need to be seen by others and to inspire and to give authentic momentum to this platform.

So, being a festive season right now, I invite others to tell of their positive musical moments or their unique video chat methods or whatever clever way your tablet, adds to your life enjoyment....as it should.

Peace to all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iontruo2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I had a moment with my tablet, but I'm afraid the forum filter will censor the good parts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
My tablet grew legs and saved 4 starving, dying orphans from a flood yesterday.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
That beats my story.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by iontruo2 View Post
She is lying in the bed(clothed)...
I'm sorry, but the fact that you needed to include that parenthetical detail just cracks me up.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
I'll try to balance my temporary insanity of yesterday with a real moment.

My habit of the last few days has been to go to bed with my N800 laying on the pillow right next to my head... sometimes even with my head cradled against it.

Strange, you say. Perhaps even a bit of perverted or misplaced affection. Probably true, but I have another explanation.

Although I am sleeping with my N800, my N800 is not actually sleeping with me. It is busily playing Old Time Radio broadcasts.

I love to listen to something as I drift off to sleep. I used to put the radio on but my wife prefers it quieter. I've tried earphones and pillow-speakers but the wires get in the way and radio ends up getting pulled to the floor in the middle of the night. And even some kind of bluetooth headset would get uncomfortable, though I might give it a try at some point.

But I've discovered that the grey sock-cover that comes with the N800 *does* have a purpose! It makes the N800 quite comfortable against your head/face!

When I go to bed I download and queue up an OTR broadcast, turn off the Wi-Fi, turn down the volume and lock the screen. Then I'm ready for some cozy good listening with my N800 right next to me on the pillow as I drift off to the relaxing sounds of Orson Welles "War of the Worlds" broadcast from 1938.

When I wake up in the morning all is quiet (the Martians didn't land after all, and the playback ended hours ago) and my N800 is laying right next to me, with close to a full battery and ready for browsing the web before I get out of bed.

And the best part of it all.... no pregnant wife!

(never will be if I keep this habit)

Last edited by technut; 2007-12-20 at 20:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to technut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Tampa, FL
Great thread! I just connected my n800 to the stereo in the living room and cranked up some holiday tunes for my kids. They loved it. I even was taking requests like a real DJ. Who Let the Dogs Out was a big hit with my 5 and 7 year olds. Thanks to Rhapsody and Nokia.

P.S - we should get writing credits for this commercial.

The Following User Says Thank You to mart1928 For This Useful Post:
Well it's 5:30am and I went to the horse stable to feed a half a dozen horses and I have my tablet in my pocket. I'm listening to the morning radio show(FM radio) and suddenly my tablet starts ringing! Being that I don't get too many Skype calles etc it takes me a 'blurry' moment to figure it out.

Its my pregnant darling wifey, video calling me. How cool is that? She wants 'chocolate milk' and the look on her sleepy face says really really soon-more like right now.

The N800 as a video intercom around the home is not something I had ever really considered when I jumped in with this product. Much to my pleasant surprise to find my fairly new wi-fi reached beyond the house and across the driveway to the horse stable.

This sure beats yelling through a few floors of the house or out the door across the yard!

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I had a moment with my tablet, but I'm afraid the forum filter will censor the good parts.
Texrat : I didn't think the video recording resolution on the N8x0 would be good enough....

http://www.explosm.net/comics/1112/

The Following User Says Thank You to BOFH For This Useful Post:
I found this comment by a poster on another thread and I felt it was a great 'levity' story of reality application. Good Show!

Default So that's what Skype is for!
I always thought Skype was just a gimmick. Free calls around the US, big deal, my cell phone does that.
I just took a trip to Costa Rica. BTW, loaded the external card with about 5 movies to watch on the plane. They played flawlessly. Have a 2 into 1 headphone jack so me and the wife can listen with $20 noise reducing headphones (Creative). Makes the plane ride so much more pleasant.
First night in Costa Rica we are at an outdoor restaurant and my friends are lamenting how their cell phones don't work at all there. I turned on my 800 and immediately found wi fi connections. Amazing as this was just a little tiny fishing town (Coco). I turned on Skype just to see something. I hit 'Home' in Contacts. Unbelievably it dialed and started ringing. My daughter answered and it sounded like I was talking next door! No one could believe it. It showed the minute rate at .02 ! Made about 30 calls on the trip and used about $4.00 of my credit. Crystal clear on both sides from a 3rd world country. My friends said they are all getting N800's. So that's what Skype is for.