i got a t-mo "booster" at £20 for 6 months for unlimited (read 1gb) usage which seems quite reasonable...

Meant to add on a pay-g connection...

This is utter crap if i had known vodafone were so bad i wouldn't have bothered going with them. As this has got the attention of the vodafone people it might be worthwhile checking what Firmware version you are on. I didnt realise Vodafone have there own version for the n900 which isnt even up to date with the latest global FW. all details in thread below

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48015

This is stupid im cancelling without a doubt if i can

Doesn't it say in terms and conditions that they are allowed to charge for data after the limit though?

All this news means is that they are going to actually do that now rather than just send a letter? If I can get out of contract then great, if anyone succeeds.. let us know!

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Vodafone now make clear that their advertising that 'unlimited' internet is only 500mb - I've seen it in the windows of their shop. This is to avoid the obvious issue that they advertised deals to be "unlimited" but then alerted customers post agreement that 'unlimited' actually meant '500 MB'. I'm sure the ASA/Trading Standards have had their stick in about this.

It's to stop people using their phones as broadband modems for laptops.

Voda can't start charging you for 500MB+ usage if you signed up to something advertised as unlimited. Even if you've signed a contract that contains a burried clause stating that "where we say unlimited we really mean 500mb".

I'm not a solicitor, but I don't believe that Voda can retain the right to alter contracts signed up to as "Unlimited" to "500 MB" as this would be a material change to a warranted clause. the contract is for provision of x minutes, x texts and unlimited internet. You change one of those and you change the whole deal.

Thus you should be able to reject their change in policy (i.e. charging you for 500MB< usage) as a breach of contract.

Please can someone who knows what their talking about step in on this. I'm assuming a general rule is possible here without reading the t+c's of every users individual contracts?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

just spoken to vodafone, my contract will not be changing its contracts started after june 1st

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
@devildriven I don't believe you should send what you've written there.

You need to clarify that when the contract was agreed there was no limit on the data.
You secondly need to state what change has been made by them, and when this was brought in.
You need to establish that you were not informed within the limits of the original contract.
You lastly need to combine these three into a summary stating that they have breached the contract.

Have you been charged for using >500MB data yet? If they don't actually change your conditions then they haven't changed the terms without informing you (thus there is no breach).

Stating that they may start to charge you for over 500MB in future would not be classed as an anticipatory breach in my opinion
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by devildriven View Post
Just checked my bill online and apparently my data usage for the last month was 32GB!

This is going to cost me a fortune if they go ahead with this!
HOLY COW.... and i've been downloading top gear from my home wifi to view on the bus......

Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
I'm no legal expert but as far as I understand, when you take a contact out and agree to the terms, that is your contract. They can change the contract with notice but you have to agree to them, if you do not, they either have to honour the original contract or cancel it. As they have breached the contract, they cannot charge you cancellation fees.

Changing the terms like this, is changing the contract you have agreed with and you are within your right to walk away without charge if they do not honour the original contract.

This does not suprise me with Vodafone though. Before I got my N900, I had a blackberry storm on contract with them. After a few months they contacted me telling me that my free sat-nav service was coming to an end, that they would extend it for one month and that it would cost 7.99(ish) a month to continue after that. As I do not drive and had other map software on the phone that I could use free, I declined to continue. However, they started to charge me for it. I queried this with them and whilst they investigated, I did not pay the bill (not gonna pay for something I didn't want or ask for) so they cut me off.

I called them to pay after it was sorted and they told me the bar would be lifted within 30 mins. 2hrs later, still nothing... anyway, 3 calls later they informed me that it was because I had a blackberry that it was taking so long and it would be 48hrs. Not happy but with not much more I could do, I accepted this. 2hours later it was working again!

During the time I was disputing the extra charge, they refunded me that part of the bill and "canceled" the sat nav, but the next bill and the same charge was there!!!!

In all it took 6 months and 30 + emails to actually cancel the sat nav I never asked for. I asked for compensation and all they came back with is "I'm sure you will give us another chance to provide you with excellent customer service"

I would never go with Vodafone for a contract phone again! I am so glad I waited for carphone warehouse to offer the N900 on T-mobile!

Don't forget the thanks button if I helped you

Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
HOLY COW.... and i've been downloading top gear from my home wifi to view on the bus......
Wifi is fine as it you home internet account, not vodafones 3G!

Don't forget the thanks button if I helped you

Jeez - I just jumped ship to o2 as my contract was coming to an end and they wouldn't give me a better deal per month that taking out a new starter contract (sim only) with o2... I was on an 18month, £45 a month - you'd think they'd have done something to keep me!

But hey, although o2 isn't truly unlimited, reports of 40gb+ usage being allowed is fiiiine by me! Just downloaded the humble indie bundle through it with no trouble at all :-)

Tags
vodafone con