Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Apparently $5000 will not suffice, since the device will not be placed on the US market exclusively (not even primarily) and only considering one market seems discriminatory to me.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but when calculating the costs one should use reasonable start conditions.
I'm talking about getting it verified safe for human consumption by an independent 3rd party somewhere in the world for safety sake. if it's cheaper to do this for/in the eu, then do that. If it's cheaper to do it for one country in the eu, do that.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
The modem is already certified. And the antenna is also cerified. I don't see any use in doing a quite expensive cert for both again (btw 5000$ will definitely not suffice, it's rather 4 times as much, maybe more, incl. all procedures and action to get accomplished). What you're asking is like asking for a CE cert for the particular combination of an incandescent bulb (already type approved CE) in a particular desk lamp (also already CE approved), just because we screwed that new bulb into the lamp. Or like requesting a new FCC cert for an USB UMTS stick plugged in to your laptop - which is basically exactly what we do.
And btw Linx is selling RF modules (e.g. for ISM radios, remote controls, etc pp) Those are of course NOT precertified by FCC or other authorities. PHONE modules OTOH of course are usually fuly type approved. So the whole Linx reasoning about FCC and what it costs etc is really not applying here. Approval of GSM and similar technology transmitters is WAY more complex and expensive than for simple RF-modules. But luckily you can see in the docs that the cinterion modules ARE approved.

A VERIFICATION of SAFETY for humans is something that scientists and pseudo-scientists are working on since I guess 30 years now, and so far no evidence has been found and commonly accepted as true, for or against any harm done by GSM RF. WE definitely can't do that, and won't try to. However if you're feeling concerned about hazardous radiation from mobile phones, I suggest you don't use Neo900, it is exactly as bad (or not bad) as any other phone. The differences are negligible.

For the general safety of the device, not regarding SAR, there's the CE cert which we of course will get for Neo900.

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-03 at 06:20.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Yes - first "mechanical evaluation" boards (without CPU etc. yet, but with modem and fitting in N900 case) will be showcased on Saturday 16:45 GMT+1. Nikolaus and Joerg will be there, and a livestream is planned to be available (as well as recordings to watch after).

This more detailed info will be added to neo900.org in few hours and of course photos and videos from OHSW will also be added there
Will there be live stream /or downloadable videos/ from OHSW?

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by l4m3rx View Post
Will there be live stream /or downloadable videos/ from OHSW?
Probably both.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
The modem is already certified. And the antenna is also cerified. I don't see any use in doing a quite expensive cert for both again (btw 5000$ will definitely not suffice, it's rather 4 times as much, maybe more, incl. all procedures and action to get accomplished). What you're asking is like asking for a CE cert for the particular combination of an incandescent bulb (already type approved CE) in a particular desk lamp (also already CE approved), just because we screwed that new bulb into the lamp.

/j
The website linked to is
https://www.linxtechnologies.com/en/home

it's not linUx technologies.

linxtechnologies produce on chip modems and antennae.
they have an faq section talking about what you need to do to get your end product fcc verified/certified. they state it will cost about $5000 to do so.

so in other words they are telling you that you need to get the bulb and socket certified.

if certified in your frame of reference means 'hey trust me', then yes, i think the neon900 probably isn't for me.

Sorry, I'm not doing this the first time, and I know which certs our product needs and which it already has - see my several posts above. And I also know you can't get away with 5000USD to get a proper FCC cert for cell phone, but we don't need that since WE ALREADY HAVE IT. Heck, PXS8 even has Verizon and Sprint approval, and all offered modems are FCC (as well as other authorities worldwide) type approved
And who said "linux"? You are referring to info by a RF-module manufacturer (NOT phone module!) that are not applicable for our situation, we're not building a walkietalkie or a remote control. And certification means "get a stamp of CE or FCC" or whatever else are those entities out there to cert. Honestly, sorry we can't deliver what you're asking for. To make it easier for you: STAY AWAY FROM Neo900! IT EMITS DANGEROUS RADIO WAVES!

/j (who suddenly feels like an arms dealer. We're dealing ARMs, not arms!)

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-03 at 06:28.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Sorry, I'm not doing this the first time, and I know which certs our product needs and which it already has - see my several posts above. And I also know you can't get away with 5000USD to get a proper FCC cert, but we don't need that since WE ALREADY HAVE IT. Heck, PXS8 even has Verizon and Sprint approval, and all offered modems are FCC (as well as other authorities worldwide) type approved

And who said "linux"? And certification means "get a stamp of CE or FCC" or whatever else are those entities out there to cert. Honestly, sorry we can't deliver what you're asking for. To make it easier for you: STAY AWAY FROM Neo900! IT EMITS DANGEROUS RADIO WAVES!

/j (who suddenly feels like an arms dealer. We're dealing ARMs, not arms!)
Take it easy! Without FCC approval or equivalent for the device as a whole and nothing but your capitalised legal disclaimer warning us to stay away, in the middle of a misleading post ('we have fcc approval',etc) I don't feel warm and fuzzy any more. So, I'm out.

The Following User Says Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
Not "warning US" but "warning ME" - and no, the only misleading thing here is your rant and your link to Linx, a manufacturer of (unapproved!) RF-modules who doesn't offer *any* phone module. I gave proper citations and links so everybody who understands how a transmitter works *) can check what I said.

*) we're attaching a commercially tested and approved antenna to an approved transmitter, something you been able to do a few years back with every arbitrary mobile phone since back when they had antenna receptacles to connect e.g. a car antenna. And you were not obliged to send in your car incl mobile phone and antenna to the FCC to get an approval. And btw afaik FCC doesn't care about SAR at all. What they check though is your transmitter calibration to make sure you're not exceeding the max RF power as defined by GSM et al specs. The cinterion products of course passed that test.

For your convenience I repeat to link you there:
APPROVALS
>> R&TTE, FCC, GCF, PTCRB, UL, IC, CE
>> AT&T, Telstra and other local approvals and provider
certifications (PHS8-P)
>> NTT DoCoMo and other local approvals (PHS8-J)
>> SK Telecom and other local approvals (PHS8-K)
http://m2m.gemalto.com/tl_files/cint...t_PHS8_web.pdf

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-03 at 06:33.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
badges! i don't have to show you any stinking badges!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
unbeknownst to most electronics users, valid FCC stamps on electronic devices actually absorb electromagnetic radiation, but only the harmful death rays.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!