Posts: 75 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ NY Metro Area, US
Originally Posted by witznitz View Post
First off SIP needs less administration. Its a standard protocol supported by many devices and firewalls. Most public places allow SIP protocol to pass through thier firewalls. if your having issues at home get a real firewall/router. D-Link Gamer /wireless 1Gb router is the best bang for everthing. Passing encrypted packets on time is no easy thing for any router. Dich the junk Linksys/netgear routers and get a dlink. They dont buckle under voip calls. I have had zero issues with gizmoproject and its worth every penny. The only reason i want skype is because it makes the N800 more usefull to some people and that makes people build more application.
How about WRT54GL with DD-WRT (linux) firmware with SIPatH preinstalled.

And btw, I have Vonage phone service that (alegedly) uses SIP. I had no problem with it so far on any router. Can that be the root of my problems? Aren't you suppose to be able to use multiple clients on the same lan? Is Vonage doing something Gizmo is not? Go figure.

Gizmo supports MSN-talk. Well i tried it. It's like Keyser.Soze (Usual suspects fan? ) said: one out of 10 times you try, it connects. Quality was reasonable. When i called my homeline, it was awful. But at least it calls my homeline without problems. Calling a mobile phone is a no-go.

That's why i am waiting for Skype. I just hope it works better.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ NY Metro Area, US
I might be changing my tune about Gizmo, thanks to heavyt!

I just signed up for grandcentral free phone number and forwarded it to my N800/Gizmo. It looks like amazing service. How do they offer it for free? The call quality is reasonable. I'm gonna test it in various places around town. There is still problem of public APs' firewalls not being SIP friendly...

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by nedim View Post
I might be changing my tune about Gizmo, thanks to heavyt!

I just signed up for grandcentral free phone number and forwarded it to my N800/Gizmo. It looks like amazing service. How do they offer it for free? The call quality is reasonable. I'm gonna test it in various places around town. There is still problem of public APs' firewalls not being SIP friendly...
Set up GrandCentral mobile (web site) on your N800 and you can make free phone calls (while in beta) to land lines from your Gizmo, to anyone who calls you using your grandcentral number or anyone in your grandcentral address book/ grandcentral mobile contacts.

Last edited by heavyt; 2007-06-29 at 03:06. Reason: more info

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by nedim View Post
How do they offer it for free?
I suppose that they live on interconnection fees.