Active Topics

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Hi,

As an old N95 user, which I really like, I am very used to a little navigation program called waze.
Waze is a gps navigation program, free, open source, which gets it's map info from the actual users. It records where you drive, loads the information into a DB, which is later edited by moderators and power users to reflect street names numbers etc etc etc.

It is based on the freemap project.
Waze is the best GPS software I know, exactly because it's free nature.
Features I like about it :
- Instant traffic updates via 3g network, information is derived from the actual people using waze at every moment.
- Traffic is taken into calculation when choosing the best route.
- Routes may change on the fly while you are driving to reflect new traffic alerts.
- Police alerts.
- Did I already say it's free?

Now the problem, this program requires an internet connection or it exists. I can understand this, as this is the backbone of all the features for this great app.
When I bought the N900 I moved my simcard to it from my N95, which remained obsolete.
But waze won't run on N900, it has been ported to Winmo, Android, Symbian, Iphone, blackbarry... But not maemo.
Today I found a solution to my problems.

1. Install mobile hotspot on n900.
2. Run waze on N95, connect to N900 hotspot.
3. Happy end.

Waze runs perfect, without the need for an extra simcard, and without the need to move the simcard around between the phones.
I just leave the N95 in my car, so what? (;

BTW, this is another great reason to love the N900.

Hope this helps anyone. Cheers.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Yup, I am in the exact same situation.

I upgraded from an N95 to the N900. Problem is, I still carry both phones with me where ever I go because the N900 still doesn't do a lot of the things my N95 does. There is no reason the N900 *can't* do those things. The software just isn't there.

1) Waze / Crowd-sourced GPS navigation/info
2) GPS in google maps or "good" free satnav
3) ANY satnav that can be operated with one hand
3) RealPlayer (I used specifically for streaming NASA TV)
4) Skyfire / video streaming (really "Flash10")
5) Sportstracker / GPS excercise tracking

The list used to be a lot longer... maybe someday soon I can finally retire my N95!

Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
Yup, I am in the exact same situation.

I upgraded from an N95 to the N900. Problem is, I still carry both phones with me where ever I go because the N900 still doesn't do a lot of the things my N95 does. There is no reason the N900 *can't* do those things. The software just isn't there.

1) Waze / Crowd-sourced GPS navigation/info
2) GPS in google maps or "good" free satnav
3) ANY satnav that can be operated with one hand
3) RealPlayer (I used specifically for streaming NASA TV)
4) Skyfire / video streaming (really "Flash10")
5) Sportstracker / GPS excercise tracking

The list used to be a lot longer... maybe someday soon I can finally retire my N95!
The sad thing would be that by the time you will have waze for n900... Your phone will be so outdated (;
Did skyfire on N95 support flash 10????

Originally Posted by eitama View Post
The sad thing would be that by the time you will have waze for n900... Your phone will be so outdated (;
Did skyfire on N95 support flash 10????
Skyfire client on the device does not support flash 10 video. The Skyfire server backend convert the flash 10 video to a video stream that can be rendered by the Skyfire browser client on the device.

Originally Posted by Bernard Wei View Post
Skyfire client on the device does not support flash 10 video. The Skyfire server backend convert the flash 10 video to a video stream that can be rendered by the Skyfire browser client on the device.
...thus allowing me to stream The Daily Show from comedy central's website and watch it on my N95.

No solution for watching The Daily Show on my N900.

Originally Posted by Bernard Wei View Post
Wow! I didn't know that!
That's a very cool and original solution to a very common problem.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
1. Install mobile hotspot on n900.
2. Run waze on N95, connect to N900 hotspot.
3. Happy end.

Waze runs perfect, without the need for an extra simcard, and without the need to move the simcard around between the phones.
I just leave the N95 in my car, so what? (;

BTW, this is another great reason to love the N900.

Hope this helps anyone. Cheers.
NICE! will try that later today with my N85 (though I would really love it if I could use Telmap Navigator, which is installed on my N85 but used persistent 3G connection).
Thanks Eitam!

Originally Posted by efekt View Post
NICE! will try that later today with my N85 (though I would really love it if I could use Telmap Navigator, which is installed on my N85 but used persistent 3G connection).
Thanks Eitam!
You know you have mentioned Telmap earlier in one of our conversations, I tried looking it up, and couldn't find it!
Can you link it? or PM me if you prefer?

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
You know you have mentioned Telmap earlier in one of our conversations, I tried looking it up, and couldn't find it!
Can you link it? or PM me if you prefer?
Telmap for Symbian in Israel is (still) under Beta-testing, therefore not available to everyone, only to those lucky people who got into the beta-testing - like me
I don't know if you can still subscribe to the beta-testing, but later today when I'll get back home from work, I'll look into it - maybe you can send a request for testing and get an activation code for using the application, but of course you could not use it with the N900 in the way you described it here, as you have to use a persistent 3G connection during navigation with Telmap, as its maps are not stored on the phone.
Btw, Telmap is - in my opinion - far superior to Sygic/Waze/whatever navigation-wise. The only navigation program I loved more than Telmap is Garmin's (which is unfortunately does not have Israel's map available for it) which I used extensively in USA and Canada.

Last edited by efekt; 2010-04-14 at 07:49.

Originally Posted by efekt View Post
Telmap for Symbian in Israel is (still) under Beta-testing, therefore not available to everyone, only to those lucky people who got into the beta-testing - like me
I don't know if you can still subscribe to the beta-testing, but later today when I'll get back home from work, I'll look into it - maybe you can send a request for testing and get an activation code for using the application, but of course you could not use it with the N900 in the way you described it here, as you have to use a persistent 3G connection during navigation with Telmap, as its maps are not stored on the phone.
Btw, Telmap is - in my opinion - far superior to Sygic/Waze/whatever navigation-wise. The only navigation program I loved more than Telmap is Garmin's (which is unfortunately does not have Israel's map available for it) which I used extensively in USA and Canada.
Can you name the qualities of telmap over waze?
I won't even mention all the oldschool sygic igo etc etc which don't support traffic updates via data connection. They are useless in Israel. Everyone know's the way here (: the catch is only to avoid traffic!